Rotary Cutter Bush Hog SBX Box Blades

/ Bush Hog SBX Box Blades #1  

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
Is anyone familiar with these box blades? I was at my local tractor/implement dealer just browsing (drooling) around as I sometimes do on a Sunday when I saw a whole mess of these BBs. They looked to be fairly heavy duty and sturdily built. I don't really have any plans for any severe harsh box blade work so I thought they may be worth looking in to. But according to Bush Hog's website they're considered "Regular Duty" and for the SBX 84, which is what I would need, the maximum horsepower for 4WD is 35 at the PTO! Seems awfully conservative to me. Anyone familiar with these box blades or have any experience with them?

/ Bush Hog SBX Box Blades #2  
I have a SBX78 and it seems to be fine. There have been a couple of times I wish that I had gotten the medium duty because of the weight.

/ Bush Hog SBX Box Blades #3  
No complaints on a SBX 600 and a 30hp tractor - seems well built, and will stop the tractor in sandy soil with scarifiers fully engaged - not sure if that extrapolates usefully to your tractor.

Heavier seems to be better in general

/ Bush Hog SBX Box Blades #4  
I've got the SBX 720. Had it going on three years now. I've done a lot of pretty heavy duty type work with it and have not broken anything. My tractor is 45 hp and 4wd and is way over what the manual rates it at. I agree, the manual seems too conservative. The unit is very basic but it is far better built than the 2nd tier brands with better welds, thicker steel and more robust design. It has captured lower link pins which I like a lot.

Paint is so-so and after how ever many years on the dealer lot and 3 years sitting outside at my place it is fading and peeling and starting to rust. I don't think that matters much for a BB though.

The only problem I see is that the scarifiers don't drop down as far as I'd like them too. They work just fine but sometimes when I really want to reshape an area, a little more bite would be good. But that's a minor complaint.

I got mine for only a little more than the ones they had at TSC. So I think they are a good deal on a very basic unit.

But, not sure how it would hold up vs your M7040. That might be stretching it a bit. I don't think you'll hurt the back, sides, pin mounts, etc, but you might bend the mast.