Bush hog shaft frozen

/ Bush hog shaft frozen
Ok I wondered. I do remember whacking a few small logs hidden in the grass. One about 3" in dia did make a funny noise before exiting.

I saw the hole on the top of the deck for access. Is that a nut on a stud or is it a bolt nut affair, holding the blades on? As long as this thing sat, they are probably rusted too.

Thanks guys.

/ Bush hog shaft frozen #72  
That's an access hole for the bolt holding the blade.

Like the others, I think you're vibration thing is because of something (probably rust since the bush hog sat for so long) hanging the blades from not tipping back out. Every time that's happened to me, it's been a piece of wire or twine getting wrapped up on the bolt between the blade and blade arm (or stump jumper).
Throw some penetrating oil on the bolts, use a hammer if you have to to get them to swing back and forth fairly easily, then oil them up.

/ Bush hog shaft frozen #73  
In the end,you are better off flipping the mower on it's back or standing it up for full access. Scrape deck clean,wipe underside with used motor oil and use 4.5 grinder to sharpen blades while you free up blades. Let's hope blades are easier than the shaft.

/ Bush hog shaft frozen #74  
In the end,you are better off flipping the mower on it's back or standing it up for full access. Scrape deck clean,wipe underside with used motor oil and use 4.5 grinder to sharpen blades while you free up blades. Let's hope blades are easier than the shaft.
Don't sharpen the blades if you are going to be cutting anything woody. Sharp blades create sharp stumps that puncture tires & feet. Dull blades shatter rather than cut leaving fuzzy shattered stumps.

/ Bush hog shaft frozen #75  
Spray with some Kroil, gie it a few minutes, jiggle the 3pt hitch up and down. That will push/pull shorten/lengthen the pto shaft. Remember you have quite a bit of force there, small movements - jiggle-jiggle. It will move.

/ Bush hog shaft frozen #76  
Spray with some Kroil, gie it a few minutes, jiggle the 3pt hitch up and down. That will push/pull shorten/lengthen the pto shaft. Remember you have quite a bit of force there, small movements - jiggle-jiggle. It will move.

Are you certain that will help the blades swing free? :laughing:

/ Bush hog shaft frozen
Lol, still stuck on my old problem, I guess.

I got em freed up this morning. Some WD40 and a hammer. Nice and free now. Kinda tight for time right now but will flip on its side and pull blades when I get more time and sharpen/balance them.

I was really impressed how well it cut my fields. Biggest problem now is mud. Got my little MF1010 buried to the axle and had to use my truck in 4L to pull it out. Those skinny R1 tires do not help, but I don't even think there are any rims for R3's for this thing.

Here's a pic of my fields after cutting. The standing tall grass going across the shot is a seasonal creek, flowing now, and in lower left corner, has standing water. Will cut that when it dries up. Usually the end of June.

E99F56F0-B45A-4925-81AE-93B3E9BAAD9C.jpeg

/ Bush hog shaft frozen
This will take SOOOO much stress off my riding mower. The first mowings were always the worst with 2ft and higher weeds and grass. No brush or trees.