Bush hogging prices

/ Bush hogging prices #11  
In my area mowing is very competitve. I agree with Gulfofmexico that you should get a licence to spray. Ido pastures and burn down and brush with 2 different sprayers which contribute over 60% of my income I'd start parttime for acouple of years to keep debt down & insurance. Make sure you have good Liability insurance. Renovator

/ Bush hogging prices #12  
This subject sometimes stirs up a hornets nest! Prices are regional, as well as based on what size jobs you're looking at. 1 to 5 acre jobs scattered about where you'll do as much trucking as mowing usually warrant a higher "per hour" or "per job" rate as opposed to bigger acreage.

I own a mowing business where we do larger acreage primarily. (Property maintenance for a legal conservator) The bulk of my work is 25 to 100 acre properties. Some even bigger. I'm in rural central Kentucky. As a rule of thumb, the going rates around here are roughly $1.50 per horsepower. (ie 40 hp tractor w/ suitable mower, $60 an hour. 100hp tractor w/ suitable mower=$150 an hour) Fuel cost and cost of living in general are starting to drive that up slightly, but the volume of "competition" keep raises in check right now. Bottom line, if you want to stay busy in an area with plenty of competition, you have to find a way to make money at competitive rates that mirror the competition's rates.

In some urban areas, primarily east coast and west cost, rates are more than double.

As far as added lines of work such as spraying, there again, it depends on available work and local competition as to that being a viable option.

In just one year, I went from start up business to 4 tractors, a total of 6 employees, and all the work we could handle, even in a severe drought condition most of the summer. Keep in mind, 75% of my business is from one client and that was pre-arrainged before the years started. Without that one key customer, the business would have struggled to stya busy with just myself and my 2 initial employees.

I would think your location should be very simular to mine.

/ Bush hogging prices #13  
I wonder if he's still in buisness after almost six years.

Solo

/ Bush hogging prices #14  
Ain't it funny how you read the question and replies, start to reply yourself and notice the original ? is 6 years old. JC

/ Bush hogging prices #15  
RollTideRam said:
Ain't it funny how you read the question and replies, start to reply yourself and notice the original ? is 6 years old. JC

Note that my reply was in the wee hours of the morning. The question could have been from Moses and I wouldn't have noticed. (Not that I'm any more alert in daylight hours ;) )

/ Bush hogging prices #16  
Also, check out what commercial insurance is for this new venture- truck, trailer, tractor, and equipment. That plays a HUGE factor in ANY business decision. Farmwithjunk has it made...one customer with a LOT of work, if he loses that customer- things look different. I sold a landscape business in May 2006, I missed it at first but now realize that there is alot to be said for a regular pay check, "normal" hours and then I can do as I want after work.

/ Bush hogging prices #17  
deereguy said:
Also, check out what commercial insurance is for this new venture- truck, trailer, tractor, and equipment. That plays a HUGE factor in ANY business decision. Farmwithjunk has it made...one customer with a LOT of work, if he loses that customer- things look different. I sold a landscape business in May 2006, I missed it at first but now realize that there is alot to be said for a regular pay check, "normal" hours and then I can do as I want after work.

That's why I've gone out and drummed up the "other 25%" of my business. And I'm constantly looking for more. I've just completed a bid package for mowing highway/road right-of-ways for 2 different counties in Kentucky. It's good to have a client that provides you with a lot of business, but life can be fickle. As the old saying goes, Don't pu all your eggs in one basket.

By the way, I still have that "steady paycheck" too. I'm keeping my day job until they throw me out the door.

/ Bush hogging prices #18  
I knew there was some reason I didn't recognize the original poster, as he quit posting before I came on board. If somebody hadn't mentioned it being an older post, I wouldn't have seen it.
David from jax

/ Bush hogging prices #19  
Solo said:
I wonder if he's still in buisness after almost six years.

Solo

He hasn't posted here since August of 2004...:rolleyes:

Maybe someone should email him and let him know things are alive on the homefront...:D