Business Leadership/Career Advancement

/ Business Leadership/Career Advancement #21  
But is that all that different from years past? When I was in my 20s-mid 30s long-term benefits were the furthest thing from my mind, as it was for most of my peers. We were more concerned with establishing homes, paying off college loans, etc. than with retirement 40+ years away. As you get closer, and a bit more settled your priorities change.
I don't know what business you're in, but I've never worked for a company that offered a pension or lifetime healthcare. Then again, with the exception of a supermarket chain I worked at while I was "between jobs", none of the companies I've worked for are still in business.

I am the VP of Actuary for all of the Blue Cross Blue Shield plans...

The lifetime healthcare will not go away under me and I will make sure it's grandfathered in regardless...

/ Business Leadership/Career Advancement #22  
Times are changing. That sweet government retirement benefit is slowing going away. The Texas Employees Retirement System was not actuarially sound so they changed the benefits to stop the drain and help it to become solvent. For state employees hired after 09/01/22 the benefit went from a defined benefit pension plan based on age, highest salary, & years of service to basically a 401K plan with state matching funds and lifetime payments. Your monthly check is based on how much money is in your account at retirement. You have to retire to get the state matching funds.

I also have also seen the turnover of managers and directors in my healthcare system. A staff RN can make as much or more than their manager just by working some overtime each pay period. In a 2 week pay period they work 6 12-hour shifts. One additional shift makes a big difference in annual salary. Managers get called frequently at night and weekends concerning staffing. If no one else will fill the slot, the manager gets to do it. Some much for 8 - 5 M-F. After a while they get tired of the disruption of their home life.

/ Business Leadership/Career Advancement #23  
My son is 28 years old and about a year and a half ago finally got a decent job with benefits. It seems like that age group doesn’t think anything about quitting a job without having another one lined up, not having money in the bank and living paycheck to paycheck.

/ Business Leadership/Career Advancement #24  
My son is 28 years old and about a year and a half ago finally got a decent job with benefits. It seems like that age group doesn’t think anything about quitting a job without having another one lined up, not having money in the bank and living paycheck to paycheck.
I know a young man like that. Left a good job with great benefits to get more time off. Short sighted and essentially 'stupid'.

I know another 27 YO still living at home and spends most of his income at bars and getting laid.

/ Business Leadership/Career Advancement #25  
In my last ten years of working life, the thing I most dreaded was what I've termed, "The Curse of Competence." Its now called lots of other things like, "Task Creep," or "Performance Laddering."

All of these, will eventually lead to people just giving up any direct relationship with a company that has bad management habits.

These are all slightly different though.

Performance Laddering is where management just keeps upping, little by little, performance goals till everyone is burned out, and the system has already reached its maximum with the resources provided. So no more bonuses, even if you stay at a prior achieved level of productivity. This makes every one resentful towards the company.

Task Creep, is where lots of things, not in your job description get added, little by little, till you are doing damn near every task the company does. Its not that you are working harder, its the confusion of task switching that burns people out.

My worst experiences were with, "The Curse of Competence." Everything you've done you've done well, with out complaint and on time. .... or at least better than others have attempted. You get assigned all the more difficult tasks. And eventually you only get assigned all the hardest, most intractable and previously messed up tasks. Then everyday, is a day of Crisis that NEEDS to be solved RIGHT NOW.

That's when I quit, and arranged to work with my last company as a consultant. :)

Last edited:
   / Business Leadership/Career Advancement #26  
Not attempting to sound egotistical here, but in my last ten years of working life, the thing I most dreaded was what I've termed, "The Curse of Competence." Its now called lots of other things like, "Task Creep," or "Performance Laddering."

My worst experiences were with, "The Curse of Competence." Everything you've done you've done well, with out complaint and on time. .... or at least better than others have attempted. You get assigned all the more difficult tasks. And eventually you only get assigned all the hardest, most intractable and previously messed up tasks. Then everyday, is a day of Crisis that NEEDS to be solved RIGHT NOW.

That's when I quit, and arranged to work with my last company as a consultant. :)
Had a similiar experience with an employer. After much communication about lightening the work load, the employer just kept on going the same direction as far as job assignment and deadlines.

I gave them an "effective immediately, termination notice". I had enough. The employer came back with a large pay increase offer and a shorter work week of 50 hours, guaranteed. I politely asked them not to contact me anymore.

/ Business Leadership/Career Advancement #27  
Maybe I am getting old, but you used to be able to give someone a kick in the azz if they needed motivation. Now you have to sit in a circle , rub their forehead and sing kumbaya and hope they don't cry.

/ Business Leadership/Career Advancement #28  
The Pandemic just hastened the current work/employment environment. The number of workers vs retiree demographic has been changing for years but the shock of the Pandemic caused people to look at their lives, what they were doing vs what they wanted to do, and how they were being treated at work. The answer is that many people are tired and burned out with having to deal with the more with less mantra that "leadership" spouts.

People are tired of companies making money, demanding more from people, and then giving poor pay raises and bonuses. My company has lost so many people over the last few years I have lost track. Seriously. Then there are layoffs. The vast majority of people I have seen laid off were excellent employees but the "leadership" can only micromanage the bottom line, not grow the company, so heads have to roll. Not the "leadership" head who got us in this mess. There was a business survey that said 85% of business "leaders" do not trust their employees. It shows in the workplace.

Replacements are not being hired for the most part. Many that we have hired, and then trained, left after gaining experience because they could have better pay, benefits, and work environment. The really frustrating part, is that some of the new hires SHOULD have been fired but were protected for whatever reasons. That really is frustrating when you see so many competent people laid off for no fault of their own.

This is NOT just a US issue. It is happening around the world. Even in China, people are tired of working their tail off, for years, both in school and then the 996 work schedule( 0900 to 2100 six days a week) and not getting rewarded.

/ Business Leadership/Career Advancement #29  
We are on board the Carnival Dream in the Bahamas right now. The crew is from all over the world, mainly South East Asia and the Pacific islands. Their friendly attitudes and work ethics are great. At my job, our health system brings in nurses and lab techs in from the Philippines. I wish our staff from the USA could learn a few things from them on how to act on the job.

/ Business Leadership/Career Advancement #30  
I am the VP of Actuary for all of the Blue Cross Blue Shield plans...

The lifetime healthcare will not go away under me and I will make sure it's grandfathered in regardless...

Every year I go through coverage issues with my plans. Every year. I realize Health Care plans are complex. But when you have the same procedures done year after year, and you have to engage BCBS about why one visit is covered and another is not, there is a serious problem.

I don't trust anything, the minute details always fouls up some higher-up plans.