Busted cruise control?

/ Busted cruise control? #1  

oldpilgrim

Elite Member
Tractor
2014 Mahindra 3016HST
I drove my 3016 down the road about a half mile to do some work at my local shooting range. I've done this many times over the past 2 years I've had my 3016. Always use the cruise control on the road.

This time I get up to speed, and lift the cruise lock lever. I let off of the pedal and darn near go over the steering wheel as the tractor suddenly slows down. Hmmmmmm. I try it again, same result. What the ****?

Well, I do my work and try it on the way home with the same result. Crap, I must have busted something in the woods, maybe. Darn. This machine has been perfect in the 120 hrs I've used it.

So I get it home and park it, mad that my perfect tractor is not perfect anymore.

The next day I decide to see what busted. Under it I go, tracing levers and links to see what might have happened. In 'diagnostic mode', my formerly computer analyst brain sees that the ratchet that holds the brake pedal functions fine when I lift the 'emergency' brake lock lever........................ oh, wait a minute here.

Dawn breaks thru the fog of my formerly analytic, now turned retired brain.

If I want the cruise control to work, I need to lift the cruise control lever NOT the emergency brake release lever.

They are side by side and look nearly identical except one is chrome and one is black. I'm going to have to make them look much more different from each other or put a light on the dash or something as my old brain is not getting any sharper with age.

So my beautiful tractor is still perfect, just not me so much.

Last edited:
   / Busted cruise control? #2  
Be easy on yourself I've done that before on mine as well .

/ Busted cruise control? #3  
I drove my 3016 down the road about a half mile to do some work at my local shooting range. I've done this many times over the past 2 years I've had my 3016. Always use the cruise control on the road.

This time I get up to speed, and lift the cruise lock lever. I let off of the pedal and darn near go over the steering wheel as the tractor suddenly slows down. Hmmmmmm. I try it again, same result. What the ****?

Well, I do my work and try it on the way home with the same result. Crap, I must have busted something in the woods, maybe. Darn. This machine has been perfect in the 120 hrs I've used it.

So I get it home and park it, mad that my perfect tractor is not perfect anymore.

The next day I decide to see what busted. Under it I go, tracing levers and links to see what might have happened. In 'diagnostic mode', my formerly computer analyst brain sees that the ratchet that holds the brake pedal functions fine when I lift the 'emergency' brake lock lever........................ oh, wait a minute here.

If I want the cruise control to work, I need to lift the cruise control lever NOT the emergency brake release lever.

They are side by side and look nearly identical except one is chrome and one is black. I'm going to have to make them look much more different from each other or put a light on the dash or something as my old brain is not getting any sharper with age.

So my beautiful tractor is still perfect, just not me so much.

That's called having a senior moment. LOL May as well get accustomed to them. It takes me a little longer than it once did to figure things out too.

/ Busted cruise control? #4  
In 'diagnostic mode', my formerly computer analyst brain sees that the ratchet that holds the brake pedal functions fine when I lift the 'emergency' brake lock lever........................ oh, wait a minute here.

I don't see a problem with your fault-finding skills. You thought through the symptoms, discarding what it wouldn't/couldn't be. Physically inspected what was left to further isolate the problem and honed in on the fault, which in this case was a 'jogging of your memory'.

As a bonus, you'll add this little titbit to your tractor operating knowledge/wisdom.

That is, until you do it again... :duh: (I don't know how many times I've driven off with my ballast-box still fully lowered. :banghead:)

/ Busted cruise control? #5  
I did the same thing a little differently. HST is very hard to operate with cruise engaged. Thanks to dealer for quick remedy with a phone call. Must be this happens often enough it's known. Looking for a red and green 3/4" plastic ball I can drill out and epoxy on said levers. Red for park, green for cruise. Old eyes and old brain like color. I have a max26

/ Busted cruise control?
Don't want to tell you all how many times I've driven off without releasing the brake lock either. :(

/ Busted cruise control? #7  
After my wife runs my 3616, I find the cruise set rather than the parking brake. gotta find a way to identify them too!

/ Busted cruise control? #8  
Just remember this next time it will not work, I doubt you will forget this error.

/ Busted cruise control? #9  
Don't want to tell you all how many times I've driven off without releasing the brake lock either. :(

I confess I did this when I first got the tractor but haven't lately. Guess even an old dog can learn a few new tricks.

/ Busted cruise control? #10  
I've done the same thing with the cruise, just today actually, lol. And I've also driven off with the brake set and thought something was wrong because it struggled to go up a small hill.

I have noticed though that the cruise doesn't maintain the speed very well, it slowly drops off and needs reset frequently. Is there an adjustment for this or just one of those things?