Busted my 2544's steering...

/ Busted my 2544's steering... #1  

JTKub

Veteran Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet Z-Force 44
Man did a pull a bone-head maneuver today. Trying to get my lawn mowed after a ~13hr night shift and 4-5hrs sleep, I got my 2544 stuck when the front wheels fell into a rut I have been meaning to fill/level off near my new patio. Trying to get it out myself, I cranked the steering wheel HARD to try to straighten the front wheels out. Whelp.. I guess it was too hard. Something whent *SNAP* and my steering wheel just spun. Look underneath. My lower steering arm shaft snapped and the aluminum steering gear housing is split/cracked open. The shaft sheared right at the splines. Tractor stuck in the yard with front wheels all askew, deck setting off to the side. Happy Fathers day to me! Can I have another kick to the bawlz please? Now the delemma is, do I want to mail order a new lower steering arm assy and a new housing assy for ~$72+ shipping, or do I go to my local dealer to see if they actually stock the parts? Meanwhile the lawn is half mowed. Lovin' it.

Joel

/ Busted my 2544's steering... #2  
Oh man, I feel your pain. Sounds similar to what I did to mine, only cracked my aluminum housing though. To refresh your memory, here's the old thread:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...duty-mods.html?highlight=steering#post1202441

I'm surprised you snapped the steering arm shaft though. I just took my housing to a shop I knew could do a good weld on the aluminum and re-bushed it. If it's not cracked too bad I would suggest trying that. I would also recommend strengthening the plate it bolts to better to the frame if yours is flexible like mine was. The pics of mine are in the old thread...

Good luck,
Eric

/ Busted my 2544's steering...
Oh yeah Eric I do recall your post on that! Good ideas. I know, it is hard to fathom that shaft snapped in two. It is a fairly heavy part. There didn't appear to be any flexing of the housing/chassis since it was bolted TIGHTLY, but you never know. Hard to tell for sure on mine. At least these parts are fairly easy to work on. I wish I had the time to mess with it w/out the grass getting out of control.

Joel

/ Busted my 2544's steering... #4  
The horizontal metal 'shelf' that the aluminum housing bolts to has no flex? Unless mine was a defect from the factory, grab the front of it near the engine and pull, you'll know immediately if it's flexing. Look at the pics where I welded mine in and you'll see exactly what piece I'm talking about.

Out of curiosity, since you have the exact model as me, how does yours mow tall weeds and grasses like dandelions and bahaya? Mine won't cut them good for crap, I've tried going slow, raising the deck, gator blades... It cuts normal grass pretty well, but that stuff won't cut 100% even running over twice with the deck in 3 or 4. I often wonder if the larger decks cut better.

That's my only real complaint with it other than the steering, and maybe lack of a gas gauge. :)

Eric

Mine might be flexing too, I'm not sure. All I know is my aluminum housing cracked at the 'big shaft' end, not the smaller end like yours. Yes, my 44" tends to just topple over tall dandelions, such that the blades can't lop them off. Other than that, it mows very well for me. I wish it had a tad more width for edge work, but that's what the 50" and 54" versions are for.

Joel

/ Busted my 2544's steering... #6  
I can sympathize with those steering breakage problems. The streeing on the old Cubs was all steel, and would rarely just break- it would wear out to the point where the wheel play would not be able to be adjusted out. But at that point, you have to replace the whole shaft as an assembly, at nearly $300.00. If it breaks, you just have to replace what broke. Sorta sucks but that's the way the ball bounces.

Cub Cadet mower decks through history have not been known to give the "best" cut quality. The deck housings are shallow, and when small width blades are used the deck will not develop much vacuum. John Deere LGT decks are the same story, just not the best performers. Gator blades help Cub and JD decks as the blades act like a wing to give more vacuum, but they will never out perform high vaccum decks from Simplicity or old Wheel Horses or Gravely for examples. The wider decks are a bit better as the blades are a little longer and develop some more air flow.

-Fordlords-

I wound up ordering the parts from Jack's Small Engine Warehouse. I stopped at both my local CC dealers. Neither had the parts in stock and said it would be 1-2 weeks to get them and that's only if they are not back ordered. Either dealer would have cost me around $100 total out the door. Jack's was $82 shipped. I figured if I had to order, wait and make a trip back to pick them up, I may as well just mail-order and have them delivered to the house. Both of my local dealers are multi-line, diversified businesses who could give a poop if you are doing (small) business with them or not. Honestly I don't expect a lot, but the parts counter folks are just there to pick/order parts and take your cash. No info, no joy, never a freebe. There's little advantage in dealing with them from my standpoint. Whew.. now it's time to source a loaner tractor/mower. I hate the thought of pushmowing with my little Honda that no longer self-propells! You folks with 'spares' are DEFINITELY on to something!

Joel

/ Busted my 2544's steering... #8  
JT my spare is a 82 model 1250. Battery is on a battery tender and it is ready to go at any time. Don't know why I bought a GT 2542.

I also have spare decks, mule drives and a 1200 as another back up..:)

That's the way to do it Moe. If I could ever manage to get a barn/shed built, it will have a spare or three in it! Still waiting for my order from Jacks Small Engines. I've got an order number, but it hasn't been shipped yet... Oh well. It's rained here more than it has in 2yrs. My poor 2544 has seen every drop (still stuck outside).

Joel

So much for mail-order parts. No explanation other than this;

"Dear Joel,

Credit has been issue for your cancelled order. We are unable to order the parts you requested.

Sincerely,
Jacks Small Engines
Jacks Small Engines
(877) 737-2787"

Back to the dealer. Oh joy!

*EDIT* I just called Jack's to see what was up with this. Apparently they are not even "authorized" to sell these parts. You have to go through Cub Cadet! The call center girl had no idea why you were able to look these parts up & order on their site. Live and learn.

Last edited: