Butterweed (Senecio glabellus) eradication

/ Butterweed (Senecio glabellus) eradication #1  

Spindifferent

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3520, JD X584
Howdy Folks,

Does anyone have any experience to share in the eradication of Butterweed (Senecio glabellus)? We have this growing in our pasture here in Central Texas, and we understand that it can be toxic to horses and livestock.

Photo of it below.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2621.jpeg
    IMG_2621.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
   / Butterweed (Senecio glabellus) eradication #2  
We have plenty of weeds here, but not that one.

If I were you, I would first contact my County Agent. (State Agriculture Extension Office) They will have the most up-to-date info for your area.

I'm guessing that would be considered a broadleaf plant, so anything with 2,4-D would kill it without hurting your pasture grasses. (Grazon, etc)
But, first, I would just try bush-hogging it regularly. That might do it without chemicals.

/ Butterweed (Senecio glabellus) eradication
We have plenty of weeds here, but not that one.

If I were you, I would first contact my County Agent. (State Agriculture Extension Office) They will have the most up-to-date info for your area.

I'm guessing that would be considered a broadleaf plant, so anything with 2,4-D would kill it without hurting your pasture grasses. (Grazon, etc)
But, first, I would just try bush-hogging it regularly. That might do it without chemicals.

Thanks Bigfoot. We are working with our local extension agency and have mowed it down as a first step.