Buy a model sitting on the lot for over a year??

/ Buy a model sitting on the lot for over a year?? #21  
Looking at new tractors ... What is this "budget" you speak of. :confused2:

LOL...the maximum amount of $$$ pre-approved by my wife who didn't want me to buy a tractor in the first place = "THE BUDGET" :)

/ Buy a model sitting on the lot for over a year?? #22  
Among small dealerships they frequently trade inventory to keep from stocking many models. It was the same price to get a year old sun baked, weathered TC 55 as ordering a new one. I was told it may take up to 3 months to get one off the line but I wanted the 270 loader also. I waited and I believe it was the best choice. My new tractors never sit outside in the elements. They still look new years down the road.

/ Buy a model sitting on the lot for over a year?? #23  
A dealer had a JD 4720 on his lot. The 3 pt was very noticablely faded and had to be sitting 1-2 years. Of course he wasn't going to volunteer that information. I even mentioned the fading. The price of that tractor was only a few hundred less than if I ordered one. Drawbar paint was scraped off from use and had about 25 hours. That tractor probably already sat outside more in its 25 hours than I would let a new one sit out in its life time.
An older "new" tractor would need to have a great price for me to consider buying.

/ Buy a model sitting on the lot for over a year?? #24  
Yes, it is true. Not like the autos and their years (which change about mid-year when new models come out). Quite a different industry than the tractors industry.

Autos now seem to be changing years even sooner. A buddy bought a 2011 car in April.

/ Buy a model sitting on the lot for over a year?? #25  
I have ordered my tractors and trucks primarily to get the exact specs and add ons I want. That said I wouldn't have a problem with buying off the lot if it is equipped the way I want. But would consider the fact that the dealer has had a year or better to sell the tractor with no success, he needs to lowball the price for you to get his money out of it. I would think about 25% off of list sounds about right, otherwise I would order in a new tractor spec'd out the way you want.

/ Buy a model sitting on the lot for over a year?? #26  
How long is heavy construction equipment expected to last?

I see that stuff sitting out, rain or shine, all the time and I have never heard any complaints about failures due to exposure.

Of course, they probably only get maybe 10 years out of a machine, vs. a CUT which is just starting its life at 10.

If the price is right I don't care about faded paint -- I know the metal under it is not deteriorating.

/ Buy a model sitting on the lot for over a year?? #27  
If a tractor sets on a dealers lot for a year, what does that say about the demand for said model in that area? Low resell value may very well be a factor in a few years. Ken Sweet

Last edited:
   / Buy a model sitting on the lot for over a year?? #28  
I'm not totally sure what this shows, but I think it's a sign of desperation in our economy and life style. FYI - 2012s will be out in November.

Desperation seems to be an accurate assessment.:D I looked at an F450 chassis cab truck this morning with the new diesel (2011) with the XL package (cheap) with an MSRP of over $52,000. That is gonna be a hard sell.:laughing:

/ Buy a model sitting on the lot for over a year?? #29  
I'm not totally sure what this shows, but I think it's a sign of desperation in our economy and life style. FYI - 2012s will be out in November.

Guess I am really behind the times because I bought a new truck in August and it was a 2009. By today's standards it was old before I wrote the check. However resale and model year mean little to me. The truck it replaced is 17 years old (I kept it).

/ Buy a model sitting on the lot for over a year??
Maybe there actually are model years; This site lists tractors' model year: tractorhouse.com