Buy now or wait??

/ Buy now or wait?? #11  
I agree... go used. I looked for 5 months for a Cub Cadet 7360 w/FEL, using both Ebay and Deere's MachineFinder.com. I ended up buying a one year old machine with 90 hours on it. The local dealer wanted $20k new and I paid $13K, plus $1K to ship it to NH. Don't compromise on what you want, as long as you are willing to wait for the right package to come around.

By the way, MachineFinder has a 1999 TC33D for $14K.

/ Buy now or wait??
Tractors hold thier value well. A fact that drove me to by a brand new one, I was looking for a used tractor (everything I have is used) and I almost could'nt belive the prices that they were going for, I settled buying new for only a small amount more.

/ Buy now or wait?? #13  
It seems that most everyone agrees with looking now and buying used. I'm not one to swim upstream, so I'll agree too /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. However, here's another slightly different aspect you might want to think about. Begin searching for that used tractor now. Half the fun of buying a tractor is the search. As you go along, you may stumble across a really terrific deal, even though it may not fit your needs exactly. At least you'll be gaining seat time, which equals experience. If you don't find anything used, you'll be getting valuable knowledge to help you make that ultimate purchase. You also won't be sitting around twiddling your fingers "waiting" until you can buy what you want. Remember, while you wait for what you can afford, the prices of tractors will probably go up also. You may never reach the point where you feel you can afford the new one.

/ Buy now or wait?? #14  
Okay, okay! I'm seriously outnumbered on this topic! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Pete

/ Buy now or wait?? #15  
We have all heard about a new car loosing several thousand dollars value the minute you drive it off the lot. I wonder if a tractor does the same. I have a feeling that it doesn't. Anyone got anything on value of new vs. new? Anyway I still say get a tractor you can afford and let the fun begin.

Chris

/ Buy now or wait?? #16  
Pete, you can include me in your ranks. Where do I sign up? I have lost more money than I care to think about with the trade-up syndrome. I have bought tractors, mowers, welders, stereos, cars, rolling toolchests, aquariums, go-carts, guitars, you name it, only to sell them later at a loss to get what I really wanted in the first place. I'm 38 years old and I'm just starting to catch on.
Jerry

/ Buy now or wait?? #17  
No, Pete. I'm with you. I've always bought less than I wanted, sell it for a loss, and then get what I wanted in the first place. Sometimes I get sick when I look back at all of the money I've spent on things I don't own anymore for that very reason.

So went it came to buying a tractor, I decided I was going to break that cycle and I waited until I could get what I really wanted and bought more than I actually needed. I don't plan to be trading up this time.

If you can get a good price out of what you're selling, it might be a different story. But once I decide I'm getting rid of something, I want it gone, and usually sell it for less than it is worth so I can go buy what I really want. Just my .02 worth.

--Brad

/ Buy now or wait??
Ditto, I ended up with a new korean tractor w/loader for $13500. It was about $1500 over my budget but I needed at least 40hp for what I am doing. FYI its a branson.

/ Buy now or wait?? #19  
I'm with you guys on this too. Unless you're very good at negotiating, I subscribe to the 1:1, trade-to-getting-screwed ratio. The fewer transactions the better and a Kubota tractor lends itself very well to this philosophy. I traded a 1981 B5100E (11 hp, gear model) not becasue it was tired, but because it was too small for what I wanted to do. I plan on keeping my current tractor until it is at least as old as when I traded the 5100 (20 years).

/ Buy now or wait?? #20  
Goin-crazy, I was in the opposite situation as you. I was going to order a Kubota L3010 w/FEL & BH for approx 25000. I ended up with a year old 2000 NH 1920 w/FEL & BH for 17000(had 72 hrs on it). This machine just fell in my lap. The disadvantage to buying used was I had to pay cash vs. financing a new one. If using financing it allows you to get more tractor and implements. Just my thoughts.

Bill C