Buying Advice Buying a backhoe ?

/ Buying a backhoe ? #31  
Can’t seem to understand why a mini excavator is so much better for performance? The hoe part is the same. Just a different drive system attached. Maybe lots of swing but rather anemic at loader phase!
The maneuverability of the mini-ex is so much better than a BH and it can get into places and positions a BH can not.

for example: dig a trench from one building to the next to run conduit up the side of the building. The mini-ex can dig the entire length because of it's swing, the BH would have to be reversed and then may not be able to be removed (Depending on the width of the trench) until the trench is filled back in. The tracks on the mini-ex allow it to go places and cross areas that a BH can't. note: I'm aware a construction grade BH can cross ditches, but a tractor mount BH isn't quite up to the same capabilities.

Not sure:
1) whether multiple functions (such as curling the bucket and lifting and swing) can be done at the same time. It can on a mid size excavator and can not on a tractor mount BH - only one function at a time.
2) strength of the mini-ex compared with a BH of the same size.

/ Buying a backhoe ? #32  
The maneuverability of the mini-ex is so much better than a BH and it can get into places and positions a BH can not.

for example: dig a trench from one building to the next to run conduit up the side of the building. The mini-ex can dig the entire length because of it's swing, the BH would have to be reversed and then may not be able to be removed (Depending on the width of the trench) until the trench is filled back in. The tracks on the mini-ex allow it to go places and cross areas that a BH can't. note: I'm aware a construction grade BH can cross ditches, but a tractor mount BH isn't quite up to the same capabilities.

Not sure:
1) whether multiple functions (such as curling the bucket and lifting and swing) can be done at the same time. It can on a mid size excavator and can not on a tractor mount BH - only one function at a time.
2) strength of the mini-ex compared with a BH of the same size.
How many cubic feet of material can a mini-ex transfer 300' in one movement?

/ Buying a backhoe ? #33  
How many cubic feet of material can a mini-ex transfer 300' in one movement?

About 10 yards. My mini excavator and CTL will make my M59 look silly with one operator. If you’ve got 2 people it’s even better yet. The BIG downside to the CTL and mini is you have to have both of them.
IMG_0138.JPG

/ Buying a backhoe ? #34  
About 10 yards. My mini excavator and CTL will make my M59 look silly with one operator. If you’ve got 2 people it’s even better yet. The BIG downside to the CTL and mini is you have to have both of them. View attachment 707844
About 10 yards. My mini excavator and CTL will make my M59 look silly with one operator. If you’ve got 2 people it’s even better yet. The BIG downside to the CTL and mini is you have to have both of them. View attachment 707844
Yeah.....but my question was.....
How many yards can be moved 300' in one trip by a mini-ex, .... alone!.
No CTL use in the question.
The point being, that a mini-ex cannot efficiently move material beyond boom reach. and a TLB can instead just drive away with the loader bucket full.

I love the picture of your truck "driver"

/ Buying a backhoe ? #35  
Yeah.....but my question was.....
How many yards can be moved 300' in one trip by a mini-ex, .... alone!.
No CTL use in the question.
The point being, that a mini-ex cannot efficiently move material beyond boom reach. and a TLB can instead just drive away with the loader bucket full.

I love the picture of your truck "driver"

IMG_9661.JPG
I wasn’t a fan of a mini x for a long time and if I could only have one machine it wouldn’t be a mini x. But a mini x is amazingly more productive than even a good backhoe. That mini will out perform my M59 by double. And the truck driver loves going to work. If everyone went to work with the same enthusiasm he did the country would be in a lot better place than it is now.

Last edited:
   / Buying a backhoe ? #36  
View attachment 707864 I wasn’t a fan of a mini x for a long time and if I could only have one machine it wouldn’t be a mini x. But a mini x is amazingly more productive than even a good backhoe. That mini will out perform my M59 by double. And the truck driver loves going to work. If everyone went to work with the same enthusiasm he did the country would be in a lot better place than it is now.
Our usage differences are the real story.
You use your equipment to generate income!
I am 80 years old (have had a BH for 34 years), but have always just used my equipment for my own play/work.
Big boy toys.

My assistant is a 2yr. old yellow Lab girl named Sadie, filled with enthusiasm also.

Last edited:
   / Buying a backhoe ? #37  
purplewave.com
machinerytrader.com
equipementtrader.com

Several worthwhile threads on here about purchasing/owning backhoe's. To my knowledge extendahoe's and thumbs do not mix.

$30k should get you a reasonably workable backhoe.

I am not calling you out. If you have ran one much at all you know what to look for. Others along with myself on here will happy to list a bunch of points to look for.

I'll start with an easy one to miss. A "low hour machine" that doesn't look low hour. At a local auction house I regularly see beat up "low hour machines". Someone just puts in a new hour meter to hide how many hours the machine really has.

FWIW I own and make a living with a Cat 420D, 4x4, cab, heat, air, 4in1, extendahoe.
purplewave.com
machinerytrader.com
equipementtrader.com

Several worthwhile threads on here about purchasing/owning backhoe's. To my knowledge extendahoe's and thumbs do not mix.

$30k should get you a reasonably workable backhoe.

I am not calling you out. If you have ran one much at all you know what to look for. Others along with myself on here will happy to list a bunch of points to look for.

I'll start with an easy one to miss. A "low hour machine" that doesn't look low hour. At a local auction house I regularly see beat up "low hour machines". Someone just puts in a new hour meter to hide how many hours the machine really has.

FWIW I own and make a living with a Cat 420D, 4x4, cab, heat, air, 4in1, extendahoe.
I have often wondered how machines that state low hours are able to be passed as such.

Replacement of the hour meter would be the culprit.

carfacts has an awesome tool for managing that kind of an issue with std vehicles… sad they don’t track tractors that way.

I suppose the best way to scam a potential mark would be to put 1500 or 2000 hours on a machine and then replace the hour meter. For folks that use their machines very little, it would take a long time to recoup anything… 10 or more years, and then what do you get? Maybe a 10 to 20% premium on your tractor when you sell it, minus the cost of the hour meter.

I remember when I was looking at buying a used machine, and you’re right, there were lots of really beat up machines with 400 to 1200 hours on them.

It made me wonder about the durability of Kubota machines in general, that if a machine could get this torn up in 1000 hours, did I really want to spend $30k or more on one.

So yes, now that you have filled me in on that kind of less than honest activity, I can see how misleading any kind of equipment that rests its usage on a simple hour meter can be.

Previous to buying new, I had wondered for a fleeting moment about how easy it might be, thinking that Kubota might require a serial number and old hour meter to program in order to protect the consumer over just handing out replacement meters to anyone at any time … for any reason.

So now, after owning a new L3560 HSTC Cab exactly 1 year and 1 week, I can say the I’m just about 5 hours away from my 400 hour service.

The unit still looks new. TheCab is spotless except for some scrapes of the gray paint on the steps, and the internal metal surrounds and pan around the base of the seat.

Externally, the units is the same, and would still be perfect except for the poor handling of the unit when it was in for warranty work at White’s Tractor in Canastota NY.

There are scrapes up and down the door support verticals, some of which were touched up, others that were not, and none of which were ever communicated to me.

All in all, the durability is ok… not fantastic after a year, as a lot of the fit and finish issues are related to poor service practices from the dealer.

/ Buying a backhoe ? #38  
Our usage differences are the real story.
You use your equipment to generate income!
I am 80 years old (have had a BH for 34 years), but have always only used my equipment for play.
Big boy toys.

I have often wondered how machines that state low hours are able to be passed as such.

Replacement of the hour meter would be the culprit.

carfacts has an awesome tool for managing that kind of an issue with std vehicles… sad they don’t track tractors that way.

I suppose the best way to scam a potential mark would be to put 1500 or 2000 hours on a machine and then replace the hour meter. For folks that use their machines very little, it would take a long time to recoup anything… 10 or more years, and then what do you get? Maybe a 10 to 20% premium on your tractor when you sell it, minus the cost of the hour meter.

I remember when I was looking at buying a used machine, and you’re right, there were lots of really beat up machines with 400 to 1200 hours on them.

It made me wonder about the durability of Kubota machines in general, that if a machine could get this torn up in 1000 hours, did I really want to spend $30k or more on one.

So yes, now that you have filled me in on that kind of less than honest activity, I can see how misleading any kind of equipment that rests its usage on a simple hour meter can be.

Previous to buying new, I had wondered for a fleeting moment about how easy it might be, thinking that Kubota might require a serial number and old hour meter to program in order to protect the consumer over just handing out replacement meters to anyone at any time … for any reason.

So now, after owning a new L3560 HSTC Cab exactly 1 year and 1 week, I can say the I’m just about 5 hours away from my 400 hour service.

The unit still looks new. TheCab is spotless except for some scrapes of the gray paint on the steps, and the internal metal surrounds and pan around the base of the seat.

Externally, the units is the same, and would still be perfect except for the poor handling of the unit when it was in for warranty work at White’s Tractor in Canastota NY.

There are scrapes up and down the door support verticals, some of which were touched up, others that were not, and none of which were ever communicated to me.

All in all, the durability is ok… not fantastic after a year, as a lot of the fit and finish issues are related to poor service practices from the dealer.
I bought a 14 year old Kubota L48 TLB with only 251 hours.
Are those hours believable?
Yup!
Bought from private party, original owner, now with debilitating Parkinsons.
Except for some fading (I polished that out), the machine looks nearly like new.
All original paint, with outside storage noticeable on some hoses.

I am 80, so if my two boys decide to sell, it will again be sold with unbelievable low hours.

/ Buying a backhoe ? #39  
I have owned 1 tractor in my life, but operated equipment during my National Guard career and as I have needed to rent. I am now to the point of considering rental vs. ownership of a backhoe. I have approx 100 acres that are always in need of something, so instead of calling the rental office, I think ownership would be cheaper in the long run. The question is " How do I buy a backhoe?" Where do I go? What should I be looking for and when do I turn and run away? A 4n1 bucket and extended reach with a thumb would be the preferred tractor.

Thanks for the advice
I am far from an authority and I have more questions that answers. A backhoe loader is on by "bucket list" of toys I want to own as I retire. That being said, are you looking for a backhoe loader or a backhoe attachment on a tractor?

I look at Craigslist to "window shop".

I have made a short list of nice to haves and really nice to have:

Really nice to have: Thumb

Nice to have: 4WD, 4 in 1 bucket, heat-AC

/ Buying a backhoe ? #40  
I bought a 14 year old Kubota L48 TLB with only 251 hours.
Are those hours believable?
Yup!
Bought from private party, original owner, now with debilitating Parkinsons.
Except for some fading (I polished that out), the machine looks nearly like new.
All original paint, with outside storage noticeable on some hoses.

I am far from an authority and I have more questions that answers. A backhoe loader is on by "bucket list" of toys I want to own as I retire. That being said, are you looking for a backhoe loader or a backhoe attachment on a tractor?

I look at Craigslist to "window shop".

I have made a short list of nice to haves and really nice to have:

Really nice to have: Thumb

Nice to have: 4WD, 4 in 1 bucket, heat-AC
Depending on physical size, plan on spending $40K+ for a halfway decent piece of used equipment to meet all your criteria.