Buying Advice Buying a backhoe ?

/ Buying a backhoe ? #41  
I bought a 14 year old Kubota L48 TLB with only 251 hours.
Are those hours believable?
Yup!
Bought from private party, original owner, now with debilitating Parkinsons.
Except for some fading (I polished that out), the machine looks nearly like new.
All original paint, with outside storage noticeable on some hoses.

I am 80, so if my two boys decide to sell, it will again be sold with unbelievable low hours.
14 years... Ive had mine for 8 months and Im at the 400 hour service already. Its just beyond me to purchase and not use. and this is for myself, not contracting.

/ Buying a backhoe ? #42  
14 years... Ive had mine for 8 months and Im at the 400 hour service already. Its just beyond me to purchase and not use. and this is for myself, not contracting.
My TLB is for me only too!
I have owned a real TLB for 35 years, with only 500+ hours all those years.
A 1970 Ford 3400 TLB (bought in 1986) for 33 years, and my now 15 year old Kubota L48 TLB bought 2 years ago.
Bigger toys (twin airplane, large boat, Canada property) have come and gone, but I still have a TLB.

Used my L48 TLB for 20 minutes today.
Sometimes I go for weeks without using it.
While I am in Florida for 6 months each Winter, it gets zero use!

I don't even think about how little I use it, because I don't care!
It is at my disposal anytime I want it or need it, and I like it that way.

At 80, I am very fortunate to be able to focus solely on the things that I enjoy in life!

Last edited:
   / Buying a backhoe ? #43  
My TLB is for me only too!
I have owned a real TLB for 35 years, with only 500+ hours all those years.
A 1970 Ford 3400 TLB (bought in 1986) for 33 years, and my now 15 year old Kubota L48 TLB bought 2 years ago.
Bigger toys (twin airplane, large boat, Canada property) have come and gone, but I still have a TLB.

Used my L48 TLB for 20 minutes today.
Sometimes I go for weeks without using it.
While I am in Florida for 6 months each Winter, it gets zero use!

I don't even think about how little I use it, because I don't care!
It is at my disposal anytime I want it or need it, and I like it that way.

At 80, I am very fortunate to be able to focus solely on the things that I enjoy in life!
Beautifully spoken!!!

/ Buying a backhoe ? #44  
So......when I need a backhoe for 30 minutes, I should drive 30 miles to the rental place, to then learn that their rental units are both out.
Of course, I could call first, but they would still be out.....maybe available next week.
So assume my BH task is only 30 minutes?.........I reserve the BH for next week, then rent their trailer, and tow it home.....1/2 day wasted.
Take it back next day (another total 60 miles travel), and another 1/2 day wasted.
Perhaps that would work for you, but certainly not for me.
Most times I use my BH for only an hour or two at any one time.
Generally if I use mine it's for an hour or two in the evening, or on the weekend. The nearest rental place is 40 miles away, and they close at noontime Saturday. I don't have capacity to move it, so they would have to deliver and pickup.
So...

I like owning a backhoe. Mine is mounted to the 3pth but I plan to either get a subframe, or mount it on an older ag tractor with a more robust rear housing. Retired TBN member OldPath mentioned how easily he cracked the housing using his logging winch... I don't need that expense.