Buying a Branson

/ Buying a Branson
You can do everything that a bigger tractor and implements can do. You just have to have the right sized (smaller) attachments, and maybe take smaller bites as you go.

You can absolutely clear snow with a FEL and bucket on the front and a box blade on the 3 pt. I've been doing it that way for years. It is slower, but it does work, it just takes many more passes because you can't windrow off to one side. It also makes it more difficult in a big snow winter because you can run out of places to pile the snow. I think eventually I will have a 3pt snow blower and a front blade on the FEL for my "final" snow equipment. The blower is my next attachment purchase, hopefully this fall. We had such a mild winter this last one, that it became less of a priority to SWMBO, so we bought a sectional couch instead (lol). After the blower, I think a 3rd function for the FEL and either a grapple or a front blade will be next.

If you're staying with 25 pto hp, just bear in mind the snow blower and (if) wood chipper will probably have to be on the small side so the tractor's engine can keep up with the demand. I'd still go hydro on the transmission, which will make it easier to control your ground speed when you get into bigger snow piles. You'll still want a blower wide enough to cover your rear tire track, but I'm thinking 5' blower is the most you're going to want, and plan on slowing down when it's wet and heavy snow. Most of the time up here our snow is pretty dry, just because of the colder air temps.

Thanks for all the help and input, definitely appreciated. I’m thinking I might hold off on a snow removal attachment for this winter to try it with the FEL and go from there. If I can get away with a 4’ or 5’ attachment down the road I think that’ll be fine for me and if I need to do an extra pass then so be it. I enjoy working in the woods but come winter I might not be saying that when it’s freezing out lol

/ Buying a Branson #22  
Branson, Deutz Fahr and Scag mowers. Being too new is the red flag?
I am more worried about:

1. Dealer jumping to the most profitable brand too often (ie they will stop selling Branson soon)
2. Dealer not having adequate parts inventory on hand (because they support so many brands)
3. Dealer not having adequately trained service staff (because they support so many brands).

Sure every dealer is going to have some variability but keep this in mind. Some on the forums could care less about the dealer support, and that is respectable. For me it is important.

/ Buying a Branson #23  
The dealer makes a difference. I got my Branson in part because the dealer was so good to work with (and has continued to be good after the sale). I had to beg Kubota dealers to give me a quote, and that was 4 years ago before the current shortages.

OTOH all I have needed from my dealer is to ship me parts (they're 3 hours away). And I bought a used backhoe from them. Maintenance is pretty easy, probably about the same as other CUTS. The only even minor flaw with mine is the front axle breather is on one end so when you park it on a side slope it leaks. The dealer had one fix which they sent to me gratis but it wasn't enough so I engineered one. Current models have addressed this problem by moving the vent to the center.

I'm running a 5' rotary cutter but that's for manuverability because I cut a lot of small areas. If I had a field to do I'd have a 6'.

/ Buying a Branson
I am more worried about:

1. Dealer jumping to the most profitable brand too often (ie they will stop selling Branson soon)
2. Dealer not having adequate parts inventory on hand (because they support so many brands)
3. Dealer not having adequately trained service staff (because they support so many brands).

Sure every dealer is going to have some variability but keep this in mind. Some on the forums could care less about the dealer support, and that is respectable. For me it is important.

Got ya. I believe he’s the largest Branson dealer in my state and advertises that they have Branson parts in stock with trained techs and a certified warranty center. Whether or not that’s all true is another discussion. Online reviews seem to be favorable but I know that’s not always reliable either.

/ Buying a Branson
The dealer makes a difference. I got my Branson in part because the dealer was so good to work with (and has continued to be good after the sale). I had to beg Kubota dealers to give me a quote, and that was 4 years ago before the current shortages.

OTOH all I have needed from my dealer is to ship me parts (they're 3 hours away). And I bought a used backhoe from them. Maintenance is pretty easy, probably about the same as other CUTS. The only even minor flaw with mine is the front axle breather is on one end so when you park it on a side slope it leaks. The dealer had one fix which they sent to me gratis but it wasn't enough so I engineered one. Current models have addressed this problem by moving the vent to the center.

I'm running a 5' rotary cutter but that's for manuverability because I cut a lot of small areas. If I had a field to do I'd have a 6'.

I was at my local Kubota dealer twice and not impressed with the salesman’s knowledge and it seemed like me being there was a hassle. I’m planning to make a trip to the Branson dealer this week to dive a little deeper with their service and gauge as best I can how helpful they will be if I buy one. I’m not a diesel mechanic but I know my way around a machine and have some friends that are diesel mechanics, so once it’s out of warranty I’m planning to do as many repairs as possible myself. Which model tractor did you buy?

/ Buying a Branson #26  
I bought mine brand new in 2003. It is 4wheel drive and 37 hp. I'm able to run a 6 foot rotary cutter with it, but really should have bought just a little more HP. But now I'm starting to look for something that will run a 15 foot batwing, so the lower HP tractor isn't as big of an issue once I get a bigger tractor. I wouldn't want anything with less HP

My dealer walked away from Branson because he was having to deal with warrantee work from other dealers and he said that payment from Branson on that work was very slow, and sometimes they didn't pay what he was owed. Parts where always slow. Sometimes it took 2 months to get a part. His son took over the Parts Department and started selling aftermarket parts so people could get their tractors running sooner. That's how I learned about electric diesel fuel pumps. When mine went out, I bought one from them that lasted a few years, and then I bought a better one from NAPA that has lasted quite awhile now. I'm thinking that there has been at least 10 different Branson dealers in my area in the last 15 years. Most of them just did it as a second income, like the ACE Hardware store and the Metal Salvage business. Others where retired guys who had 4 or 5 tractors in their yard to chose from.

Parts are the biggest challenge with Branson. Red's used to be great, but they are out of business. I found a really nice metal power steering hydraulic tank from them to replace the plastic one that kept breaking at the nipple.

My latest issues where with the safety switches and electronics to get it started. They just stop working after awhile and it's a real pain to figure out which one is bad. Branson used to have all their manuals online, but for some reason, they removed the. So there isn't a wiring schematic for my tractor anymore. I got to the point that I had to do something, so I removed every wire and now I just have the bare minimum wiring to start it, and keep it charged. I turn it off with a manual choke cable and I have a push button to warm up my glow plugs. In the last couple of years since doing this, it starts every time, and I feel like it has more power now then it did when it was new.

I'm at 900 hours and it's a great tractor, as long as I can keep it running. I doubt I could get half of what I paid for it if I sold it, so I'll just keep patching it together to keep it running as long as I can. Currently I've been drilling a lot of 12 inch holes with it, and it's great at that. I'm going to take off the post hole digger pretty soon and spray round up. I have a 300 gallon tote on a trailer that I fill with 200 gallons of round up, which works perfectly for my food plot and fence lines. then I'll use it to pull my 5 ft disk and get my food plot ready. then it might sit for a few months since there isn't much to mow in the Fall and Winter.

Because of the issues I've had with finding parts, and Dealerships coming and going, I will not buy another. Odds are very good that I'll switch to Kubota. Their local dealership has been here for decades, and I've never heard of anybody having to wait months to get a fuel pump, or any other part.

/ Buying a Branson #27  
I have a 2020 Branson 3515R it's a great little tractor I'm running a 7 ft Bush hog on the back log splitter cordwood saw 7 ft wide 12 ft long grader blade and other implements on 40 acres it does everything I ask of it Plus check out keno tractors for the price that's where I bought mine from and a much better price than the local dealer and they shipped it to me fabulous dealer. no problems ask for Eric or George they can point you in the right direction tell you what size tractor you need and which implements would be best for you. All it takes is a phone call and they are online also they hide nothing I am very very satisfied with the dealer and the tractor they can even work you a package deal you may even get a price before you can compare with the other dealers they have the best lifting capacity of any tractor good luck

/ Buying a Branson #28  
I have a 2020 Branson 3515R it's a great little tractor I'm running a 7 ft Bush hog on the back log splitter cordwood saw 7 ft wide 12 ft long grader blade and other implements on 40 acres it does everything I ask of it Plus check out keno tractors for the price that's where I bought mine from and a much better price than the local dealer and they shipped it to me fabulous dealer. no problems ask for Eric or George they can point you in the right direction tell you what size tractor you need and which implements would be best for you. All it takes is a phone call and they are online also they hide nothing I am very very satisfied with the dealer and the tractor they can even work you a package deal you may even get a price before you can compare with the other dealers they have the best lifting capacity of any tractor good luck
It's good to shop around and try for a better price just remember when you do that if you go to your local dealer for warranty work they may do it.
But I would be surprised if they do it happily or try and get more then the minimum done.
If you are planning to do all the work and just have the selling dealer ship you the parts, enjoy.

/ Buying a Branson #29  
Bowmpd,

I see you are somewhat new to TBN. Welcome, glad you are here. Larry

/ Buying a Branson #30  
Good day all! I’m looking to purchase my first compact tractor and have been quite impressed by the Branson specs compared to other similar big name brands. I guess my first question is what are the good, bad and ugly about Branson? I’ve found some bad reviews online about the company but I know you can’t believe everything you see/read and these people could just have a vendetta against the company or just a bad experience with their dealer so I’d just like some honest feedback with experiences (I’ve also seen a lot of good feedback as well). My second question is what would everyone’s recommendation be on size and type of transmission? I have an acre and a half at my house I want to use it for clearing snow, laying stone on my driveway, clearing brush/blown down trees and eventually once my riding mower dies I’m thinking about adding a mid mount mower deck. I also have a farm where we rent the tillable acreage but I’d like to use the tractor for bush hogging and grading trails, till up small 1/4 acre food plots and other smaller maintenance tasks for hunting. If I feel I’d use a backhoe enough to justify buying one I might add one down the road as well. I’m leaning towards the 3015 but not sure whether to go with hydrostatic or gear drive. Any recommendations from previous experience would be much appreciated. Is the 3015 going to be enough power to accommodate these attachments and accomplish these tasks? Last thing I want is to buy a new tractor and realize down the road it’s not enough for what I want to do. Thanks in advance for any input and help in making this decision!
I know very little about the Branson line, but as a guess I would think the -20 series might be the best size for you.
Has it ever been said: "I wish I had bought a smaller tractor"?
If machine support is at the very top of your list, Kubota and John Deere will be the likely winners.