Buying a Branson

/ Buying a Branson #61  
The new 20 series has the 4 range H pattern which is really nice. That alone would lead me in that direction.

/ Buying a Branson #62  
The new 20 series has the 4 range H pattern which is really nice. That alone would lead me in that direction.
A Branson model recommendation from a Branson owner is "worth it's weight in gold"

Last edited:
   / Buying a Branson
I would evaluate your situation. Are you working fields ? Lifting round bails? Heavy loader work in the open ? Mowing big fields ? You need more weight and HP !

My needs are for in the woods. Tight trails That are 5 ft wide . Small food plots. Maintaining the 1/4 mile long driveway. Mowing Trails and plots . I have a 54" rider for the lawn . Moving logs and brush . My small 25 HP has not let me down yet . It's more important to have the 4wd , locking differential and 3 gears . I wanted to keep my engine simple with no Def or Regen . I will let you know in a few years if it works out but so far it's been perfect. I was told by all my friends that own tractors it's more important in the Compact series to have awesome Implements that more HP.

I'm a Newbie in the tractor arena But not working in the woods. I have a great turning radius , good ground clearance. and the tractor is one of the heaviest in its class . With just the back blade on I have not had to many problems handling 1000# logs . I'm planing on a Flail mower with Hammer blades not a brush hog . I feel the Flail will be better in the woods than a 7ft long Brush hog . My next purchase will be a Tooth bar for the bucket . Good luck ! Either way you can't loose :)

No field work or anything like that. Majority of what it’ll be used for is maintaining trails and small kill plots 1/4-1/2 acre as well as snow removal and chores around the house. What I’m most concerned about is since the farm was recently timbered I’d like the option to move tops and brush piles if needed as well as move some logs that were left behind. That’s where I’m wondering if the smaller hp has enough to push large piles and tops or lift a decent sized log. If it wasn’t for that I’d stick with a smaller 15 series. Although the new 20 series has some nice features

/ Buying a Branson #64  
No field work or anything like that. Majority of what it’ll be used for is maintaining trails and small kill plots 1/4-1/2 acre as well as snow removal and chores around the house. What I’m most concerned about is since the farm was recently timbered I’d like the option to move tops and brush piles if needed as well as move some logs that were left behind. That’s where I’m wondering if the smaller hp has enough to push large piles and tops or lift a decent sized log. If it wasn’t for that I’d stick with a smaller 15 series. Although the new 20 series has some nice features
Go with the 20 series!
You will rue the day if you opt for LESS power!

/ Buying a Branson #65  
I'm a new 3620H owner with 85 hrs. on it and very happy with my purchase decision. I considered the 15 series but once I thought about how much more capable the 20 series would be, it was an easy choice. In my opinion the additional loader capacity makes a big difference along with the increased weight/traction and overall larger frame.

/ Buying a Branson #66  
IMG_0966.jpg

This is what my woods looked like after the logging . This would be why I got the Grapple . I have learned that a tractor is not a bulldozer in any way shape or form . You can do many things but pushing these piles is not one of them . Even with a Grapple you can grab a whole pile but if the tops are 20 ft long and under the next pile the tractor will tip . I often grab the pile but then use the pole saw to cut the ends off . I'm in no way trying to push you towards my Tractor size . Bigger with Ag tires will do better but for the money saved I can buy all the good implements I need .

All this research is FUN :)

/ Buying a Branson #67  
I can't answer about which tractor is best for your needs. But I can say there is more to more HP than just HP. Usually it comes with more weight, improved frame and a total different feel when you are on it. If you find the stock, see if you can drive it around the yard and then do the same with the larger. Going to larger HP is dependent upon finances. I suppose some people like a smaller tractor, but there are so many post state if everything else is equal, best to have weight and HP if needed. Weight, ballast, and stability are a BIG issue in operating a tractor. You must be the judge. Best Wishes.

/ Buying a Branson
Go with the 20 series!
You will rue the day if you opt for LESS power!

Haha thanks, I definitely don’t want to be rueing anything down the road

/ Buying a Branson
View attachment 712832
This is what my woods looked like after the logging . This would be why I got the Grapple . I have learned that a tractor is not a bulldozer in any way shape or form . You can do many things but pushing these piles is not one of them . Even with a Grapple you can grab a whole pile but if the tops are 20 ft long and under the next pile the tractor will tip . I often grab the pile but then use the pole saw to cut the ends off . I'm in no way trying to push you towards my Tractor size . Bigger with Ag tires will do better but for the money saved I can buy all the good implements I need .

All this research is FUN :)

Thanks for sharing, that’s exactly what I was figuring I’d have to do with it, grab some and cut it into a more manageable size. I’d like to build some hugelbeds with all the leftover wood in tandem with the tops to act as screens and funnels so being able to lift and maneuver and stack some decent sized logs is a must. You’re right though it is fun talking through all this stuff with everyone, I’m enjoying learning more and more.

/ Buying a Branson #70  
I read a post on TBN here recently, if one of the DPF get clogged, the dealer techs simply take off the DPF and use hot steam to clean it out the stored soot particles. The Kukje engines have proven to be a real good reliable engine, as it has no ECM. It is mechanical injection, and only the DPF has a ECM controlled flap for when regen is prompted. I have 135h on mine, not once has it prompted for regen. But they like to run at higher rpm to avoid running "cool" above 1800rpms or pto speed on engine when working.
The Branson dealer I talked to today (he has a FT tech but also wrenches himself at times) about a 4815H on the lot says he's sold them for 12 plus years and the only one thats had a clogged DPF was sold to a commercial user who ran the FEL back and forth slow & low rpm's on a materials lot. He said Branson told him the ones that have issues are the ones that have been babied while the hard, almost abusive users never havean emissions issue of any kind.