Buying a Clunker--potential pitfalls?

/ Buying a Clunker--potential pitfalls? #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
I was looking over this list of candidate clunkers that Edmunds generated late last month when the Cash for Clunkers program was winding down

Cash for Clunkers Eligible Trade-In Vehicle List - Edmunds.com

Right now I'm shopping for a used 1995-2001 1-ton truck, pickup or flatbed, that almost certainly would show up on that Edmunds clunkers list.

The question that came to mind was prompted by that list, by recent stories in the news about faster climate change (ice caps melting faster than expected), and by the fact that I live in CA (where the CA EPA is hard at work on its clean air/global warming mitigation agenda). How likely is it that in the next few years a truck like I'm trying to buy will become increasingly more expensive to own (higher registration fees, more stringent smog regulations, etc) to the point where it's forced off the road?

If you're reading tea leaves along these lines, I'd be interested in your take on this situation.

/ Buying a Clunker--potential pitfalls? #2  
Not so sure about the future but the present situation is because of the C4C deals the price of used stuff has gone up big time. May want to wait and get something when things settle down.

Chris

/ Buying a Clunker--potential pitfalls?
Not so sure about the future but the present situation is because of the C4C deals the price of used stuff has gone up big time. May want to wait and get something when things settle down.

Chris

Good point. Thanks. I'm in no rush. I'll shop around. Maybe it'll be a Christmas present.