Buying a new truck ? Times have changed.

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #81  
Remove the bulb, simple answer.
Black electrical tape over it works just as good and easier to install

I did that for the red light on the rearveuw mirror of my old truck signifying that there was an issue with the onstar

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #82  
Meh. CR seems very biased towards certain makes, toyota being one of them, you have to read between the lines to get the real scoop. Had an '08 turdra for a company truck at my last job...I was the "new guy", so I got the truck no one else wanted. :mad: Biggest PoC that's ever darkened my driveway, seems like something was always broken on it. In fact, when I retired the company didn't even want it back! The day I turned in my keys, company tools, etc, the HR guy handed me a signed-over copy of the title.
I don't see a lot of old ones on the road.
This is exactly why data matters. Your opinion is rooted in one anecdotal example. Like I said, all makes have outliers. Playing the odds, the Tundra is much more reliable than the competition.

You don't like CR....how about Motortrend?

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #83  
I'm surprised they let you order one. Every time that I've gone through the process it end with "Enter zip code so we can find one at your local dealer." It then comes up with "Similar Trucks" which may or may not be similar.
I'd visit the dealer. I was able to order the exact truck I wanted, and I paid several thousand under MSRP. I've been buying cars from this dealer for many years. Other dealers were $1000 or more over MSRP to order the exact same truck.

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #84  
Back in Jan 2019 I went to the local Chrysler dealer to check out new Jeeps. There on the showroom floor - my dream vehicle. A brand new Ram 2500 Power Wagon. It had everything except the kitchen sink. Asked the salesman - can I order one with different color and less of all the electronics stuff.

Yes - I could. Nobody but nobody could tell me when such an animal might arrive.

I bit the bullet and bought it right off the showroom floor.

It does not get fantastic mileage - it's bigger than an aircraft carrier - I love it - it's my toy.

AND yes - it was VERY expensive. Chances are - it will be the last vehicle I ever buy.

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #85  
Back in Jan 2019 I went to the local Chrysler dealer to check out new Jeeps. There on the showroom floor - my dream vehicle. A brand new Ram 2500 Power Wagon. It had everything except the kitchen sink. Asked the salesman - can I order one with different color and less of all the electronics stuff.

Yes - I could. Nobody but nobody could tell me when such an animal might arrive.

I bit the bullet and bought it right off the showroom floor.

It does not get fantastic mileage - it's bigger than an aircraft carrier - I love it - it's my toy.

AND yes - it was VERY expensive. Chances are - it will be the last vehicle I ever buy.

My son wants one….but with a Cummins.
Nada.

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #86  
This is exactly why data matters. Your opinion is rooted in one anecdotal example. Like I said, all makes have outliers. Playing the odds, the Tundra is much more reliable than the competition.

I don't keep vehicles long. 2-3 years is typical. Typically get out of them before they are out of factory warranty. I do have a 99 F150 that i bought for 2K..and I'm now into it for something like 16K.. It had 130K on it when i bought it..If i can get it to 250k...Im going to consider it a wash. Im at 185K now.

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #87  

I'm not going to buy a vehicle based on what someone else tells me when my own experience says the opposite.

You can't trust reviews in any publication that accepts "sample" vehicles provided by the manufacturer. Likewise, a magazine like MT is dependent on advertising, and they don't want to offend a company that's a big spender.
While CR doesn't accept ads, they seem quite biased towards some makes and equally biased against others. What I've also noticed is that their recommendations don't always jibe with their actual review. Maybe a turdra is a good enough truck for someone with a shirt-and-tie job who wants to look tuff & macho at the country club, but as I discovered they weren't apparently made to stand up to any real work.

You live in Texas where rust is not an issue. My experience with toyota vehicles has been dismal, not going to buy a vehicle on what somebody else says is good. As I said, I don't see very many old toytoa trucks on the road, that tells me something.
I'm glad you like yours, but the likelihood of me even considering another vehicle from that brand is somewhere between slim and none.

Last edited:
   / Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #88  
I don't keep vehicles long. 2-3 years is typical. Typically get out of them before they are out of factory warranty.
Just the opposite here. I'll generally buy something 7-8 years old, and drive it into the ground. To me seems a big waste of money buying new every few years...not just vehicle cost but insurance, registration, etc. are all much higher on a new vehicle vs an older one.

The downside to buying used of course is you have to make do with what's available when you're looking, but to me it's a small price to pay.

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #89  
My son wants one….but with a Cummins.
Nada.
The sales people are still talking about the Cummins diesel in the Power Wagon. Maybe in 2023.

A rare photo of my Taco Wagon. Must have been right after I washed it. Blue surely does show mud and dust.
IMG_0005.jpeg

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #90  
Just the opposite here. I'll generally buy something 7-8 years old, and drive it into the ground. To me seems a big waste of money buying new every few years...not just vehicle cost but insurance, registration, etc. are all much higher on a new vehicle vs an older one.

The downside to buying used of course is you have to make do with what's available when you're looking, but to me it's a small price to pay.

I look at is as the cost of doing business.We trade them and typically get a decent return on them. If a vehicle costs me 5-700 a month to drive without repair bills.. Im good.