Buying a new truck ? Times have changed.

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #11  
Stuff like this just irritates me. There is no shortage of vehicles.

Last edited:
   / Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #12  
Like the current thing where dealer are asking way over sicker for certain models. Gouging, plain and simple. I maintain, now is a BAD time to buy a new car or truck in the first place

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #13  
Interesting times... Rising delinquencies and interest rates, and reduced manufacturing. Higher pricing also means higher insurance rates. And fuel prices hovering on the high side of the historical price curve. Getting closer to the "money down a rat hole" point.

More and More People Are Falling Behind On Their Car Loans

And keep in mind that the Federal Reserve is pretty much dead-set on demand destruction. So, choose wisely!

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #14  
Like the current thing where dealer are asking way over sicker for certain models. Gouging, plain and simple. I maintain, now is a BAD time to buy a new car or truck in the first place
At least some of the manufacturers are trying to discourage that. Ford, GM Push Harder to Stop New Car Flipping and Price Gouging

When I bought my Colorado two years ago this month I was starting to get discouraged and thought perhaps I should wait for things to settle out. Salesmen didn't care if they sold me something or not, because there was somebody else standing right behind me waiting.
I called the nearest Ford dealer about a Ranger they had advertised, as I hadn't seen it on the lot in two weeks. After confirming they hadn't sold it I took the afternoon off and drove 50 miles to test drive it; only to find out they had sold it two weeks previously.

I ended up driving 175 miles to look at a new Colorado, only to find out they had (supposedly) sold it while I was on my way down.
They did have a low mileage 2018 with everything I wanted except a rear sliding window... it had just been taken in trade and they hadn't had time to prep it for sale. I took it for a ride and wrote them a check for the deposit, after determining they would deliver it to me.

I am thankful now that I didn't wait. It's only gotten worse, and I just found out that GM has phased out the shorter,e extended cab model I prefer and will only be offering the 4 door behemoths starting in 2023.

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #15  
Vehicles, in general have to be one of the worst investments you can make. Anything that depreciates is actually. Way back when I was a snowmacine person, always bought new until I finally came to the realization that a new sled depreciates 50% when you put it on your trailer. That cured me. I quite buying new and started buying used after that.

Do the same with vehicles too. I can do low mileage off lease real easy when I can get them at 50% or better off sticker.

My take is, let the original owner-leasor work out the bugs and then I come along and buy it. I look for female owned, low mileage with the balance of the factory warranty and a clean Car Fax (no accidents). Females tend to drive more gently than males do. anyway. So far it's worked real well. I tend to lean toward Fords Red Carpet off lease cars, especially ones that were leased and serviced at one dealer. I also look for vehicles with standard transmissions as well. Much simpler mechanically and slush boxes all wear out at some point and are expensive to replace.

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #16  
Interesting times... Rising delinquencies and interest rates, and reduced manufacturing. Higher pricing also means higher insurance rates. And fuel prices hovering on the high side of the historical price curve. Getting closer to the "money down a rat hole" point.

More and More People Are Falling Behind On Their Car Loans

And keep in mind that the Federal Reserve is pretty much dead-set on demand destruction. So, choose wisely!
Not just auto loans, credit card payments are getting delinquent as people try to juggle stuff unsuccessfully.

Guess that is why my credit card provider likes me, I pay in full every month and everything is always current, but then my wife and I are good money managers. Tons of people today aren't.

Example, last off lease buggy I bought (4 years ago), I paid less than 50% sticker and I paid in cash. I detest paying on time unless I can write off the interest like I do with my farm equipment and depreciate it as well. When I bought it (Ford Dealer) the drummer asked me if I was gonna finance it and I looked at him and said 'are you nuts'. 2 payments. 50% now and 50% on delivery....after I whittled them down on price. I love to negotiate, it's fun.

I remember one vehicle my wife bought new and the dealer threw in a 1000 dollar extra fee for rustproofing and my wife told them to peel aa that crap off, she didn't want it. The dealer I bought this last off lease from wanted me to buy a wheel - tire insurance plan to which I commented that I could go the the bone yard and buy wheels all day for 75 bucks and a new tire would be maybe 200 bucks so stick your 500 'insurance' where the sun don't shine..

You'd be amazed how many people fall for that crap and it's pure dealer profit too.

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #17  
One of my buddies runs his entire trucking company (all expenses such as fuel, tires and repairs on American Express credit cards). He runs 50 road tractors pulling Fed Ex trailers coast to coast. That is some serious jack there. Pays in full every month too.

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #18  
For our needs, a 'new' truck doesn't make much sense. Used prices are ridiculous, too. The biggest problem for me is finding used with the parameters we want. Gave up finding a Tacoma. I want the Ext. Cab with 4x4 and a few other features...important that it has not 'lived' in salt...no coasts, no snowy areas. We see a bunch of those shuffled down here. Some rust is obvious, but sometimes you cannot tell until it is too late. Must view the Carfax. I wish search sites had a filter for states registered in, or something like that.

Trying for a Tundra. Bigger truck and cheaper than the Tacoma. I don't have 5030 money. Cannot buy a Ford and then buy a new one every few years. Toyota has a better reliability history. Every brand has good and bad years and individual units that buck trends both directions, but I always play the better odds.

/ Buying a new truck ? Times have changed. #20  
I had to bite my lip when the wife brought a new Hyundai Accent for 14K. She had already told them, "No salesman nonsense, this is a cash purchase." They tried any way, as best as they could to up sell. She was having none of it. "This is the price we negotiated on this Car." After awhile, they got it, and signed the papers. I was biting my lip just expecting that they would get in to an up sale. All of those were immediately fended off. Where is my car? I want my car. And they provided it with a ribbon on top, immediately. You have to be just as brutal as the sales people are.

Ford is right to say the dealership model doesn't work for them any more and the Franchise System in place, doesn't work in an Internet World.

The China Cars will not be through dealerships. And you will buy them because they will be so much cheaper. Kinda like, Harbor Freight sold their stuff, and killed off any domestic production.

Last edited: