Buying an L130?

/ Buying an L130? #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
Hey All,
We have an old L130 lawn tractor. It was given to us by a friend who beat the crap out of it. When I got it I had to replace the electric PTO clutch and clutch switch. The clutch and switch were both advertised as being better than the originals and they were. The switch was especially to tell because the original one had melted contacts. Aside from replacing the clutch and switch the machine has performed pretty well. I have had to replace the belt and do other service that is required, like putting on new blades. A machine gets used and stuff wears out. Anyway, we need to get a new lawn tractor because more stuff is failing and I am really tired of chasing down failed safety switches, failed ignition switches, replacing worn out starters, etc. So I am thinking of getting another L130. I really like the electric PTO clutch. Maybe it is just me but I hate belt systems where the clutching is done by adding tension to the belt when the belt is quite long and where a mower deck is the driven member and the deck height is changed regularly. These types of systems are more complex and, at least for me, seem to need belt replacement more often. I hate changing belts. And long belts are expensive. The after market electric clutch that I put in our L130 has lasted much longer than the original JD clutch. It was also only about 70 bucks. But I see they have gone up about 50 bucks. But maybe Deere has started putting in better clutches. Boy, I could go on and on. So, any reason not to buy the L130?
Thanks,
Eric

/ Buying an L130? #2  
No reason not to buy a similar tractor or a nice old L130. The nomenclature went from L, to LA, to D, to E and to some degree the S series. Beyond that you go to an X series. The S is kind of weird combination of the two, using the lighter chassis with some having decks / engines similar to those found only on the X's previously.

Things have gradually improved sans the seats cracking. The X of course has a more solid frame and steering (and options), but improvements had been made to the steering in later years on the lighter tractors. You'll also be able to find an electric PTO on the smaller 42" decks on the E series.

/ Buying an L130?
Thanks for the reply. I'll take a look at the E series too. I REALLY like the electric PTO. They seem to be way less complex. Interesting what you said about more solid frame. I compared side by side a Craftsman mower to our L130. The frame and engine were almost identical, they looked like they were made in the same factory. The major differences were the engine crankshaft and the thickness of the metal. Both had electric PTOs but the engine shafts were different diameters. The Craftsman was 25mm and the Deere 1 inch, which is 25.4mm. Both engines made by Kohler. And the Deere frame, though it looked the same with the same holes in the same positions, was about 1.5 times thicker.
Eric

/ Buying an L130? #4  
I have a L130 myself I have been cutting 1.5 arces with it since 2004 with almost 900 hours on it all in Texas heat. I have done the normal maintenace items oil, blades, still have the same clutch came with. All this said it's been great but this year the transmission is starting to have issues. I think it's in the center case Hyd motor/pump. It still runs great just getting slower in fwd and rev is starting to be no more. It's like an old friend and don't want to pull the plug on him yet. Tuff Torque has a kit to rebuild it but the cost is over 400. So did some reseach about reworking the motor/pump surfaces so I'm going that route for now. If I was you and you were thinking about another L130 I would do it.
Best of Luck to you

/ Buying an L130?
I have a L130 myself I have been cutting 1.5 arces with it since 2004 with almost 900 hours on it all in Texas heat. I have done the normal maintenace items oil, blades, still have the same clutch came with. All this said it's been great but this year the transmission is starting to have issues. I think it's in the center case Hyd motor/pump. It still runs great just getting slower in fwd and rev is starting to be no more. It's like an old friend and don't want to pull the plug on him yet. Tuff Torque has a kit to rebuild it but the cost is over 400. So did some reseach about reworking the motor/pump surfaces so I'm going that route for now. If I was you and you were thinking about another L130 I would do it.
Best of Luck to you
Thanks for the reply, it was just what I was looking for. With all the hours you have on yours and with how mine was mistreated before I got it and it still runs it looks like we'll be getting another.
Eric