Buying Advice Buying backhoe with the tractor upfront.

/ Buying backhoe with the tractor upfront. #11  
Backhoes are designed for trenching.

How much trenching do you anticipate relative to the inconvenience of not having the TPH available when the Backhoe is on the tractor?
To that end, is it rational to plan/expect to be able to rent a backhoe to use when needed? Are they considerably more expensive to add after the initial tractor purchase?

/ Buying backhoe with the tractor upfront. #12  
Backhoes are designed for trenching.

How much trenching do you anticipate relative to the inconvenience of not having the TPH available for implements when the Backhoe is on the tractor?
It is true that backhoes are "designed for trenching", but there are MANY other applications!
My Kubota (11' backhoe) TLB, with hyd. thumb, is most often used as my highly mobile portable crane.
Owning a BH means it is ALWAYS at my immediate disposal, and I never remove it from my tractor!
I NEVER want to be without a BH, and thumb!
I have an older FEL tractor for TPH use.

Last edited:
   / Buying backhoe with the tractor upfront. #13  
To that end, is it rational to plan/expect to be able to rent a backhoe to use when needed? Are they considerably more expensive to add after the initial tractor purchase?
No. You rent a tracked mini-excavator complete, not a rental backhoe for the tractor. You can rent a much more efficient mini-excavator multiple times for the cost of a $5,000 backhoe.

shooterdon:

Easier and cheaper to get a local guy to do my BH work and pay him $100/hr for small jobs.

Yes. Perhaps $2,000 dollars more purchased after the tractor.

Last edited:
   / Buying backhoe with the tractor upfront. #14  
Looking at a Branson 2505H with and without a backhoe.

Branson 2505 Series Subcompact Tractor Dimensions
• Wheelbase: 57.5”
• Length: 104”
• Width: 45.8”
• Height with ROPS: 91.3”
• Ground clearance: 9.4”
• Weight: 1610 lbs.

A subcompact tractor is suitable for yard work on one to three fairly smooth acres in my opinion, though some use subcompact tractors on five acres.

Your expectations for subcompact category tractor performance should be restrained. Adding a Backhoe will not make this very light tractor a Big Boy's tool.

Last edited:
   / Buying backhoe with the tractor upfront. #15  
It is true that backhoes are "designed for trenching", but there are MANY other applications!
My Kubota 11' backhoe (with hyd. thumb) is most often used as my highly mobile portable crane
I NEVER want to be without a BH!
I have an older tractor for TPH use.

Looking at a Branson 2505H with and without a backhoe.

Branson 2505 Series Dimensions
• Wheelbase: 57.5”
• Length: 104”
• Width: 45.8”
• Height with ROPS: 91.3”
• Ground clearance: 9.4”
• Weight: 1610 lbs.
A VERY small tractor to be considering a BH!

/ Buying backhoe with the tractor upfront. #16  
IMO a BH on that small tractor is a waste of money and hurts resale value. I walked away from a lot of small used tractors that had the BH and the owner thought they should get most of their investment back.

BH's are a PITA at least for me. Cannot leave it on and then need a place to store the samn thing. Easier and cheaper to get the local guy to do my BH work and pay him $100/hr for small jobs.

/ Buying backhoe with the tractor upfront. #17  
IMO a BH on that small tractor is a waste of money and hurts resale value. I walked away from a lot of small used tractors that had the BH and the owner thought they should get most of their investment back.

BH's are a PITA at least for me. Cannot leave it on and then need a place to store the samn thing. Easier and cheaper to get the local guy to do my BH work and pay him $100/hr for small jobs.
I would not own my Kubota L48 if it did not have the "PITA" backhoe!

/ Buying backhoe with the tractor upfront. #18  
My PITA backhoe has been used everyday that I have had my tractor. You think a backhoe is a PITA explain why so many small tractors are being sold with a FEL and BACKKHOE? and if the tractor does not have the backhoe they order one or order the tractor with a backhoe so all cables etc pertaining to the backhoe are factory installed?????? For the time to remove and install a backhoe takes approx 15 minutes each. My PITA backhoe can dig more holes in an hour than I can with a shovel all day! Also when I operate my PITA backhoe it gets to hot I can climb in the CAB and cool off, have a nice cool drink and then back working my PITA backhoe! I wonder how many small tractors with PITA backhoes have been sold here in the U.S.A this past year alone???? And that's if a dealer can get a small tractor with a PITA backhoe on it because they can't keep them in stock!

willy

Last edited:
   / Buying backhoe with the tractor upfront. #19  
Enjoy your BH’s gentlemen. I think they are not very useful on a little tractor that weighs less than 2000 lbs. We can agree to disagree

The used machines I have seen in that size range have BH’s that look like new. Once most people dig a trench or two and plant a few dozen trees they sit idle. That is a lot of $$$ doing nothing.

I have owned 20 acres for 9 years and had $600 of BH work done.

/ Buying backhoe with the tractor upfront. #20  
I can see situations where I may which I had one, but for an extra 7-10K, I am not going to be able to justify the expense to the home boss...did I mention she has an MBA and does financial work? Cannot sneak expenses by her...she works in a manufacturing business.

For me, it sounds like I will get no BH to start and rent a dedicated tool or hire someone for that work. If it starts to add up, we can revisit and purchase an add-on. I highly doubt we will ever have more than one tractor on our small place, but I am learning to avoid the word never. Thanks for the insight!