Buying disk--what do I need to know?

/ Buying disk--what do I need to know? #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
We logged 5 acres last fall & I want to keep the weeds down and build a fire line before I burn the slash piles this winter. Also may want to use it to tear up the ground near the house before landscaping. Don't want to buy a tiller also, which I know would be better for the landscaping ($$$ is an issue). Have an 18hp tractor to pull it with.

What's the difference between a cover crop disk and other kinds? What other kinds are there? Is there really much difference between the various kinds of disks? Is there one kind that would be a lot better for what I want to do or will just about any disk do the job?

Thanks for your advice.

/ Buying disk--what do I need to know? #2  
You should check out the Capital Press, its a west coast weekly agricultural newspaper. They have a web site, too. I found an 4 foot offset drag disc for $200 which I really like and a 4 foot tandem drag disc for $100. I have a 3 point disc which I do not plan on ever using again, and I do not want to say how much I paid for. I have a 30 hp 4wd tractor and the offset disc is very effective. Don't get a 3pt disc.

/ Buying disk--what do I need to know? #3  
troweller...can you elaborate as to why you do not like the 3pt disc?

/ Buying disk--what do I need to know? #4  
i don't like the 3 pt discs because you can't turn with them engaged, therefor always be lifting them. Most 3 pt discs are tandem discs, which do not cut very deep. There are 3 pt offset discs, i have not tried one. 3 pt discs do not have scrapers. The are also expensive for what you get, and many are not very solid. They do not cut very deep, unless you really way them down. I guess it really depends on what you plan on using them for, the 3 pt discs are not very good for farming. I used a 3 pt disc last fall to lightly cover cover crop seeds,in ground that had been hit with an offset drag disc. How wide is the 18 hp tractor?about 4 feet.

/ Buying disk--what do I need to know? #5  
If the ground is very uneven part of a 3 point hitch disc won't be in contact with it unless you are really quick with your hydraulic top/tilt. Don't have one of those? No way you can keep up with the varying adjustment needed. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Buying disk--what do I need to know? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( No way you can keep up with the varying adjustment needed. )</font>

Unless you make sure the floating toplink bracket is adjusted correctly. Or maybe your implement doesn't have a floating toplink bracket in the first place. They make a huge difference. On TPH mowers/cutters too.

If you've never seen one, it's an extra piece (or two, depending upon type) that goes between the implement end of the tractor toplink, and the (fixed) implement toplink bracket itself. Two sets of holes; bottom set pins to implement where the tractor toplink would ordinarily connect, top set pins to the implement end of tractor toplink. Now you've added the ability for the implement to "float" over reasonable dips and rises, instead of digging the nose in or picking up the rear.

After you get to the area you're going to work, you let down the hydraulics. So far, so good. But before engaging the tractor in a forward gear, you should extend the toplink so that the top of the floating toplink bracket is angled about 45 degrees away from the tractor - the "work" position.. Adjusted accordingly, as the front wheels of the tractor go up and down with the terrain, only the floating toplink bracket moves back and forth - pivoting on it's bottom pin - without affecting the angle of attack on the implement itself.

When it comes time to transport the implement back to the shed, shorten the tractor back toplink to it's "carry" position. See your implement dealer to obtain one, as there are several types to accomodate the different size/designs of fixed implement toplink brackets.

//greg//

/ Buying disk--what do I need to know? #7  
Troweller,
Are you saying a 30hp tractor can easily pull a 4ft disc? I have a 27hp gear drive, do you think it would be able to pull a 4ft disc? I want to convert a weed infested old corn field with deep farrows into pasture for my horses. If I could get a disc that I can pull for $100-$200 it would be worth my seat time on the tractor versus hiring someone to do it.

Eric

/ Buying disk--what do I need to know? #8  
Our 30hp Kubota L-3130 pulls a 60" disc without any problems in 4WD, great for levelling out a horse pasture.

/ Buying disk--what do I need to know? #9  
I have a 27hp gear drive with a 5' 3pt. disk and it has absolutely no problems pulling the disk.

/ Buying disk--what do I need to know? #10  
That is nice to know that I can pull a 5' disc. I will have to start looking for one. Now that I will be looking harder for a disc I was hoping we could get back to Pilot's original questions about discs. Specifically what are the differences between the different style of discs, tandem, offset, etc? Then what should I pay attention to when buying a used disc?

Eric