buying first tractor

/ buying first tractor #1  

reupop

Have purchased 5.5 Ac in MS, to live and work here. This is thanks to Katrina. I looking to get a tractor but found it all a little confusing. 1.) Do you go to the dealer and tell him what you want. Or determine it before going. 2.) How far should you go to find one, distance of dealer from my property, go local or shop 50 mi radius. 3.) do dealers stick to the price or is it like a car dealer where there is room to negotiate the price. 4.) Check his business out and response to tractor problems in and out of warrenty.
Any suggestions would be very helpful.

/ buying first tractor
Have purchased 5.5 Ac in MS, to live and work here. This is thanks to Katrina. I looking to get a tractor but found it all a little confusing. 1.) Do you go to the dealer and tell him what you want. Or determine it before going. 2.) How far should you go to find one, distance of dealer from my property, go local or shop 50 mi radius. 3.) do dealers stick to the price or is it like a car dealer where there is room to negotiate the price. 4.) Check his business out and response to tractor problems in and out of warrenty.
Any suggestions would be very helpful.

/ buying first tractor #3  
Personally, I went to several dealers before buying my first tractor, looked at what they had, talked to salesmen about what I wanted to do with a tractor, tried (unsuccessfully) to find a decent used one, got just "ballpark" prices, etc. In fact, I visited dealers for 4 or 5 months. When I finally decided exactly what I wanted, I got on the phone, called 4 dealers for that make and model, told each of them exactly what I wanted, and asked what was the best deal they could give me. I had visited all of them in the past a couple of times, so I think they remembered me. I did not tell any of them what price other dealers had quoted. And I bought from the one who gave me the best price; almost exactly 50 miles from my house.

/ buying first tractor #4  
Personally, I went to several dealers before buying my first tractor, looked at what they had, talked to salesmen about what I wanted to do with a tractor, tried (unsuccessfully) to find a decent used one, got just "ballpark" prices, etc. In fact, I visited dealers for 4 or 5 months. When I finally decided exactly what I wanted, I got on the phone, called 4 dealers for that make and model, told each of them exactly what I wanted, and asked what was the best deal they could give me. I had visited all of them in the past a couple of times, so I think they remembered me. I did not tell any of them what price other dealers had quoted. And I bought from the one who gave me the best price; almost exactly 50 miles from my house.

/ buying first tractor #5  
Go to many dealers, learn, talk and you will know when the time has arrived!
Enjoy the journey. If you ain't having fun, start over and try again.
Bob

/ buying first tractor #6  
Go to many dealers, learn, talk and you will know when the time has arrived!
Enjoy the journey. If you ain't having fun, start over and try again.
Bob

/ buying first tractor #7  
Hi there reupop,
Like OJ said, "I'll give it a stab...

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 1.) Do you go to the dealer and tell him what you want. Or determine it before going.)</font>
It is always better that you know a little about what you want and what you'll be using it for. So evaluate your needs and be prepared to relay this information to the dealer. That way you can have the dealer show you tractor(s) that fits your needs more closely than a wild guess. Sit in them and test them out. You can always ask him...have him show you about the functions and features and specs of each tractor. Then you can compare or make notes about what you like best and what fits your needs best. Ask lots of questions.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 2.) How far should you go to find one, distance of dealer from my property, go local or shop 50 mi radius.)</font>
That is up to you...it is determined by what you can live with and how much you intend to use his services. If tractor prices and dealer reputation are the same, the closer dealer is more accessible and less costly if he charges for pick and delivery when servicing your tractor because of proximity. On the otherhand, sometimes a dealer farther away will sell the tractor cheaper but his service calls are more expensive. For example, lets say you bought the tractor from a dealer closeby but his price is $1,000 more and his p/u and delivery for service calls is only $100. The farther dealer (was $1,000 cheaper) but charges $200 per service p/u and delivery...you would need to have 10 service calls done to save that $1,000. That may take several years to break even? With that in mind, I'd buy from the farther dealer saving $1,000 up front and hope I never have to get her serviced. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Then again if you decide to service the tractor yourself and are pretty handy, it may not be as important to you. This opens up a larger tractor model market and perhaps substantial savings or additional implements.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 3.) do dealers stick to the price or is it like a car dealer where there is room to negotiate the price.)</font>
There is always room to negotiate. Including price negotiation, you can also do it in terms of extra service, transportation, implements or parts, etc.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 4.) Check his business out and response to tractor problems in and out of warrenty.)</font>
Always a good practice. A good dealer is a key ingredient to a pleasant tractor owning experience.

/ buying first tractor #8  
Hi there reupop,
Like OJ said, "I'll give it a stab...

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 1.) Do you go to the dealer and tell him what you want. Or determine it before going.)</font>
It is always better that you know a little about what you want and what you'll be using it for. So evaluate your needs and be prepared to relay this information to the dealer. That way you can have the dealer show you tractor(s) that fits your needs more closely than a wild guess. Sit in them and test them out. You can always ask him...have him show you about the functions and features and specs of each tractor. Then you can compare or make notes about what you like best and what fits your needs best. Ask lots of questions.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 2.) How far should you go to find one, distance of dealer from my property, go local or shop 50 mi radius.)</font>
That is up to you...it is determined by what you can live with and how much you intend to use his services. If tractor prices and dealer reputation are the same, the closer dealer is more accessible and less costly if he charges for pick and delivery when servicing your tractor because of proximity. On the otherhand, sometimes a dealer farther away will sell the tractor cheaper but his service calls are more expensive. For example, lets say you bought the tractor from a dealer closeby but his price is $1,000 more and his p/u and delivery for service calls is only $100. The farther dealer (was $1,000 cheaper) but charges $200 per service p/u and delivery...you would need to have 10 service calls done to save that $1,000. That may take several years to break even? With that in mind, I'd buy from the farther dealer saving $1,000 up front and hope I never have to get her serviced. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Then again if you decide to service the tractor yourself and are pretty handy, it may not be as important to you. This opens up a larger tractor model market and perhaps substantial savings or additional implements.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 3.) do dealers stick to the price or is it like a car dealer where there is room to negotiate the price.)</font>
There is always room to negotiate. Including price negotiation, you can also do it in terms of extra service, transportation, implements or parts, etc.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 4.) Check his business out and response to tractor problems in and out of warrenty.)</font>
Always a good practice. A good dealer is a key ingredient to a pleasant tractor owning experience.

/ buying first tractor #9  
Where are you in MS, I may be able to give you some dealers as I just bought a tractor.

/ buying first tractor #10  
Where are you in MS, I may be able to give you some dealers as I just bought a tractor.