Buying Local vs Internet

/ Buying Local vs Internet #1  

DocHeb

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D Supersteer
I messed up and overtorqued the oil reservoir plug on my Husqvarna Chainsaw - cracked it right in half. I went looking for the part at my local lawn service shop where I bought the saw two years ago - "now we sell Stihl and don't carry Husky any more, don't have parts". He referred me to another store five miles away. I looked around and noticed he doesn't sell Ariens mowers any more (bought from him 12 years ago, have had it in twice for overhauls) which means he isn't stocking parts and the next time I'll have to wait for parts to be shipped in. He's currently closing out the Weber BBQ line (bought one from him last fall). Didn't ask him if he'll have parts for that.

On the other hand, the fuel tank on my 17 year old Craftsman snowblower cracked. I went on-line Thursday night, found the part in about four clicks - it was on my doorstep Monday morning - FedEx airshipped for $4.95.

I've tried to support the local guys, but this is ridiculous. Fool me once - shame on you; fool me three times - who else is there to blame?

Since I have to look for these parts on-line now, why not just buy the original equipment on-line?

/ Buying Local vs Internet #2  
I agree. I see no reason to support a business that does not support you with dependable, excellent, customer service and competitive prices. Our society is changing in this direction, in part because the "free market" became much larger with the internet and competition is fiercer. We are willing to sacrifice some convenience in the search for cheaper products.

Look out for #1, and number #1 is you.

/ Buying Local vs Internet #3  
I like shopping on the internet and with fuel prices going sky high there will be a lot more of it. I just let my fingers do the walking on the key board.

/ Buying Local vs Internet #4  
I search for everything on line, and do all my research that way. I look at Ebay, various on line sellers, and any other infor I can find. Then, if I find I can buy it locally without too much of a price penalty, I'll do that first -- often because I'm a compulsive type who doesn't like to wait. But, if my perception in that buying local carries too much of a penalty, I don't hesitate to buy on line.

/ Buying Local vs Internet #5  
I do a majority of my shopping on-line. Can't beat the prices and the convenience is unbeatable.

/ Buying Local vs Internet #6  
Chris,
That may be one of the reasons I tend to shop Sears. I know I can have a part in a few days instead of driving all over town.

/ Buying Local vs Internet #7  
I try to support our small town businness, but ONLY to the degee that i don't get OVERPRICED and UNDERSERVICED. I buy a lot of stuff online, not only for price but also for convenience.

/ Buying Local vs Internet #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( That may be one of the reasons I tend to shop Sears. I know I can have a part in a few days instead of driving all over town.
)</font>
Iknow a lot of people bad mouth sears , but i for one think thier porduts on the whole are no worse than many others and the parts i oder for my 13 year old craftsman GT are delivered quick. + alot of the parts can be had locally as they are the same parts used in many other brands. had to rebuild the starter motor last year and went to a local shop and they had the kit, seems that starter is common.

/ Buying Local vs Internet #9  
I like to buy local whenever practical. By local I mean locally owned, so I know I am putting money into the local economy. Some things just don't work too well over the internet. Ever try on shoes via broadband ? Actually I buy very little over the internet, I do buy tractor parts and such by phone.
Ben

/ Buying Local vs Internet #10  
I'm like Don. When I need something, then I start looking for prices on Ebay and various websites to learn about prices and options. I can spend and hour on the computer, have my morning cup of coffee and visit a dozen stores.

Sears has a good website with lots of parts for repairing there products online. I have an odd sized 43 inch lawn mower. I went to the store for a belt, they said go to the repair store, who suggested I buy it online. The reasoning was I coudl have it shipped directly to my place that way and not have to come back to town to pick it up. I asked why they couldn't have it shiped to my place, but he didn't know why.

If I'd just gone online in the first place, I'd have saved half a day of running around Tyler looking for a belt when I ended up buying it online anyway.