Buying local

/ Buying local #1  

metalbender

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey 1742
Needed to do some snow clearing a couple days ago, very cold here. Tractor went into hysterical mode, siren screaming regen light flashing, the works. Tried to do a manual regen before it derated. No luck, temp not high enough. Called the dealer, explained the situation, no problem be out after lunch. Made the call at around 11:00 am, technician was here at 1:30. Did his magic and will send the bill. I believe buying local gives better service.

/ Buying local #2  
There are a million stories -- both angry at dealers and praising them -- but in my opinion a cheerful cooperative dealer who is readily accessible and "knows his stuff" is a VERY high priority in buying a tractor. Almost equal with the brand/model of tractor itself. Close second anyway!

/ Buying local #3  
Yeah, that works out great until your dealer, switches brands, or goes out of business.

Mine was 10 minutes away, and had been in business forever.

One day several years later, I got,"Sorry we don't sell MF anymore".

The loyalty has to go both ways. And, it's business so it doesn't .

/ Buying local #4  
The dealer I depended on on my larger tractor was 354 miles from me and 24 miles from the tractor & my farm. They had helped me when I bought a Deere from them in 2000. When Deere discarded them for being too small they became a MF dealer. In 2011 when I bought a MF they helped me with it from day one (being reimbursed by MF = AGCO) for 4 years and then finally went out of business in their old age. So they both switched brands and then went out of business. They were a great asset for their customers and certainly for me. It was business and the loyalty went both ways.

It varies obviously -- and there are 'good dealers' and not so good dealers, esp. in the service Dept.

The worst trend I see is the mega dealers who have a cluster of small helpless subordinate branches, do not give a rats behind about anyone, have no such tendencies as "loyalty," do not know you today and won't be the same people when they don't know you tomorrow. The life-long family business small dealers are being eradicated, closed down and driven off as much as possible as soon as possible by the large manufacturers. If you are a big corporation AG operation that's fine, you do business that way all the time and money talks. If you are the little guy ... well you know the rest of the story.

/ Buying local #5  
The dealer I depended on on my larger tractor was 354 miles from me and 24 miles from the tractor & my farm. They had helped me when I bought a Deere from them in 2000. When Deere discarded them for being too small they became a MF dealer. In 2011 when I bought a MF they helped me with it from day one (being reimbursed by MF = AGCO) for 4 years and then finally went out of business in their old age. So they both switched brands and then went out of business. They were a great asset for their customers and certainly for me. It was business and the loyalty went both ways.

So, you're saying when they were a JD dealer, they helped you with your JD tractor. And when they switched to being a MF dealer, they helped you with your MF tractor? Dealers do actually do that.

It seems as though you missed my point entirely.

/ Buying local #6  
This is why I bought the tractor I bought, it was not about being a MF, although they also had New Holland sub compacts, I liked the Massey. It was the dealer.

Had a problem with my blower 2 years ago in the middle of storm and they sent someone out within an hour and I was back to moving snow in 2 hours. Last year I broke a weld on my deck and they fixed better than it was when it was new.

They will do this even for tractors they didn't sell. I have been dealing with them for somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 years starting on my FIL's farm before he sold it.

When I bought my tractor I was buying it from that dealer because of the known dependability of their service department.

/ Buying local #7  
This is why I bought the tractor I bought, it was not about being a MF, although they also had New Holland sub compacts, I liked the Massey. It was the dealer.

Had a problem with my blower 2 years ago in the middle of storm and they sent someone out within an hour and I was back to moving snow in 2 hours. Last year I broke a weld on my deck and they fixed better than it was when it was new.

They will do this even for tractors they didn't sell. I have been dealing with them for somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 years starting on my FIL's farm before he sold it.

When I bought my tractor I was buying it from that dealer because of the known dependability of their service department.
Do they sell factory parts for tractors they don't sell?

/ Buying local #8  
That would be curious. A welder making a repair probably doesn't care what it is.

I've started getting hydraulic hoses for a variety of machines made at the local CAT dealer. I may finally get to bring a CAT hose to them.

/ Buying local #9  
Will they just order you a part walking in off the street. I think that is highly unlikely.

Fixing would include getting parts and I would think in the case of a repair they'd call another dealer for the parts.

/ Buying local #10  
Will they just order you a part walking in off the street. I think that is highly unlikely.

Fixing would include getting parts and I would think in the case of a repair they'd call another dealer for the parts.
I'll try this again, no matter how loyal you are to your dealer, How great a guy you think he is, when they decide to switch brands, you get the shaft. You don't get parts, and you don't get warranty service any more. The two most important things, after the sale. And, you should be considering, when choosing a dealer. Two things that very often swayed you to them, because they were close to home. Often, when you have a brake down, you would prefer to have your parts right now. Not, the next day, or next week.

It's business, and the loyalty to you didn't matter.

Sure, they want to sell you another tractor. So, of course, they will still smile and be "real glad" to see you.

Sure, if you can't do your own repairs, and you want out of warranty service, that's what they do. Of course, they aren't going to tell you no. Your money spends just as good.

Neither of those are my point.