BX 24 vs a Cat 2 soil pulverizer

/ BX 24 vs a Cat 2 soil pulverizer #1  

dougtrr2

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX24
Last summer the pipeline company tore up over a 1/4 acre of my property. Their restoration was not to my satisfaction so I was able to negotiate a cash settlement and I will finish the work. The site is a very slight slope with a broad drainage swale and some other slightly rolling areas.

I am looking at the local rental yard and they have a soil pulverizer to rent for $40 a day. It is set up for Cat 2 so I would have to adapt it to my Cat 1 BX. I have turf tires on my BX and I look at the mass and spikes up front and wonder if I will be able to pull it. Most of the ground I will be working had the top soil removed or was disked up during the pipeline restoration effort. Very little sod will be encountered.

I am looking at bringing in one or two loads of topsoil and will be primarily adding dirt and removing or shifting very little. Still pondering whether to hydro seed (.16 per square foot) or just broadcast.

Would appreciate input. Primarily, do you think my BX will be able to pull the pulverizer. Sorry, I don't have the weight on it. In a pinch they do rent a tractor for $200 a day.

Doug in SW IA

/ BX 24 vs a Cat 2 soil pulverizer #2  
Last summer the pipeline company tore up over a 1/4 acre of my property. Their restoration was not to my satisfaction so I was able to negotiate a cash settlement and I will finish the work. The site is a very slight slope with a broad drainage swale and some other slightly rolling areas.

I am looking at the local rental yard and they have a soil pulverizer to rent for $40 a day. It is set up for Cat 2 so I would have to adapt it to my Cat 1 BX. I have turf tires on my BX and I look at the mass and spikes up front and wonder if I will be able to pull it. Most of the ground I will be working had the top soil removed or was disked up during the pipeline restoration effort. Very little sod will be encountered.

I am looking at bringing in one or two loads of topsoil and will be primarily adding dirt and removing or shifting very little. Still pondering whether to hydro seed (.16 per square foot) or just broadcast.

Would appreciate input. Primarily, do you think my BX will be able to pull the pulverizer. Sorry, I don't have the weight on it. In a pinch they do rent a tractor for $200 a day.

Doug in SW IA
“3 point hitches that fall into category 2 are designed for tractors with a 40 to 100 drawbarhorsepower. This is built heavier than category 1 and is intended for heavier equipment.Jul 28, 2022”

/ BX 24 vs a Cat 2 soil pulverizer #3  
What is the width of the pulverizer you are looking at renting? I suspect your BX will struggle to lift and pull the unit but without some idea on size that is pure guess.

/ BX 24 vs a Cat 2 soil pulverizer #4  
What is the width of the pulverizer you are looking at renting? I suspect your BX will struggle to lift and pull the unit but without some idea on size that is pure guess.
I doubt his BX would pick a category 2 pulverizer up. If he got it attached and pulled the three point raise lever the front end would probably come up or the hydraulics would dead head.

https://www.(Temporarily blocked du...re)/Tractor-Pulverizers-Yard-Tools-s/1369.htm

/ BX 24 vs a Cat 2 soil pulverizer #5  
aren't bx's cat 0. you are jumping up two categories. Your three point arms may not even be able to spread wide enough to hook up. Is this the pto powered Harley rake? I doubt you could lift it. if it is PTO powered the shaft will probably be too long.

plenty of cheap drags may be able to do the job. chain harrow, old piece of fence. I dragged a piece of square tube 8ft long around with my lawn tractor to level out the yard. doesn't have to be complicated. a landscape rake would probably work to spread stuff out too.

/ BX 24 vs a Cat 2 soil pulverizer #6  

Kubota BX24 Backhoe-Loader​

Kubota BX24 backhoe photo
2006 - 2009
BX50 Series
Backhoe loader tractor
Dimensions
Weight1542 to 2700 pounds
Tractor hitch
Rear TypeI
Rear lift (at ends)992 lbs
449 kg
Rear lift (at 24"/610mm)661 lbs
299 kg

/ BX 24 vs a Cat 2 soil pulverizer #7  
maybe off topic but...... they do make cat. 1 land pulverisors and Land Pride makes one specific for the BX. The tiny ones are in the $2k range I think.

or maybe you could swing a deal with the rental company where they buy and you rent for a week and then they keep it for their rental fleet if your area has a lot of smaller tractors they might be interested.

I have also had a lot of luck buying new, keeping stuff for a couple of years then selling for near as much as I paid in the first place. Inflation is on your side for equipment purchase/use/re-sale now.

/ BX 24 vs a Cat 2 soil pulverizer #8  
BX is a limited Cat 1 hitch. It meets the dimensions but is lower and can't lift as high. When the BX draft/lift arms are level, they are about 4-6 inches below the pins of a level Cat 1 implement.

Bruce

/ BX 24 vs a Cat 2 soil pulverizer #9  
Without knowing more details about the implement.....like a make/model.....it is impossible to answer the question.