Ballast BX Ballast Question

/ BX Ballast Question #1  

Jibber

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST 4WD, BX2350
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a new BX 2350. I have a 3130 with BH and Loader.. So I really don't need the BX for heavier applications. I guess what I want is a mowing tractor that I can also use with 3ph attachments like my chipper/shredder and a box blade. That being said.. I am getting a loader with it and I'm wondering about ballast. Most times I'll just be using it for moving soil, plants and "stuff" around the property. Do I really need to worry about ballast for lighter duty stuff? Would a box blade be enough? I'd rather not load the tires because like I said.. I'm using it mostly for mowing and I don't want to tear up the lawn with the additional weight.

also, what size of box blade can you get away with on a BX? I have a 65" for the 3130.. I have no doubts that's too big for it, but what about a 48?

thanks for any advice from you BX people! With any luck I'll be in the club by the end of May.

/ BX Ballast Question #2  
Jibber said:
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a new BX 2350. I have a 3130 with BH and Loader.. So I really don't need the BX for heavier applications. I guess what I want is a mowing tractor that I can also use with 3ph attachments like my chipper/shredder and a box blade. That being said.. I am getting a loader with it and I'm wondering about ballast. Most times I'll just be using it for moving soil, plants and "stuff" around the property. Do I really need to worry about ballast for lighter duty stuff? Would a box blade be enough? I'd rather not load the tires because like I said.. I'm using it mostly for mowing and I don't want to tear up the lawn with the additional weight.

also, what size of box blade can you get away with on a BX? I have a 65" for the 3130.. I have no doubts that's too big for it, but what about a 48?

thanks for any advice from you BX people! With any luck I'll be in the club by the end of May.

For most lighter work that you describe, you will need no additional ballast. I dug a pond with a BX2200 and had no ballast on the rear for most of it (space limitations in the hole). I have moved 260 cubic yards of mulch, piled as high as you can carry in the bucket with a wear-bar extender and never used rear ballast.

I used to use a 3PTH rototiller on the back for ballast but determined it was not needed most of the time and just caused more wear/tear on the turf as you describe.

From other posts I have seen, a 48 inch box blade is about the right size for the BX.

Hope you enjoy your BX!

/ BX Ballast Question #3  
For the lightweight stuff, you won't need ballast. When I have the toothbar on and a completely full FEL of soil, I have to drive with the FEL an inch off the ground. If I reach an unlevel place, I sometimes have one rear wheel come off the ground and the BX2200 has tipped forward. In this case I will sometimes put on the box blade, which is enough ballast. If you needed more, you could fabricate some boards for support in the box and find a way to put some heavy rocks inside it. I agree with you re. the turf, filling the tires would not be best for the turf.

Re. bb size, see this nearby current thread:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/99379-box-blade-bx24.html

/ BX Ballast Question
Thanks.. that's what I was hoping to hear. 48" box blade is what I'll get.

I'm also leaning toward the 60" mmm.. but I see a lot of you BX owners go with the smaller mower. Is that a maneuverability decision or price?

/ BX Ballast Question #5  
Jibber said:
Thanks.. that's what I was hoping to hear. 48" box blade is what I'll get.

I'm also leaning toward the 60" mmm.. but I see a lot of you BX owners go with the smaller mower. Is that a maneuverability decision or price?

Plenty of power for either mower. The 60" may not work as well as a smaller deck if you have a lot of hills. The wider the mower, the less it can get "flex" over land contours and you may get an uneven cut.

Maneuverability should be better with the larger deck since it sticks out a bit further and allows you to cut a tighter mow circle for any given turn radius.

/ BX Ballast Question
I just faxed the paperwork.. I guess I'm going with the 60" deck. Don't really need that size right now.. but I will eventually as I plan to get a larger spread a few states away when I get the cash together. I don't plan on buying another mowing tractor.. the BX should last me till I'm under the ground.. instead of mowing it.

/ BX Ballast Question #7  
Actually, most of the 6" difference between the 54", and 60" decks is on the discharge side of the tractor, so it doesn't change the trimming capability as much as one might think, or hope for....
Chuck

/ BX Ballast Question #8  
The 54" deck makes it easier to put on my trailer.

ron

/ BX Ballast Question #9  
I have a BX1500 with FEL. I have to admit that I don't like the way it feels without ballast and the FEL on (feels front heavy/unbalanced). I have a KK XB 48" box blade (about 300lbs) that I use for ballast when doing FEL work. I f lifting heavy stuff, I throw a couple buckets of rocks in the BB for extra ballast (maybe extra 100lbs or so).

Congradulations on the purchase!:)

/ BX Ballast Question #10  
Actually, the lefthand blade on the 60" MMM (when sitting on the tractor) does stick out further than the right side. We beat this around a yr or so ago in a thread around here somewhere :D

The left side blade spindle (hense the blade) mounts out approx 3" further from the tractors frame than the right side spindle does. This is easy to see when looking at the MMM when it's mounted. It is designed this way on purpose to allow the tractor to sit out further from the obstacle when mowing/trimming around it.
I believe the reason Kubota added the self balancing to the 60" was because of the blade offsets.

The 60" MMM is the better trim mower "IF" one has the room to manuver it around their property and/or transport it. The 54" (and 48") MMM's for the BX's are excellent mowers also and I've read nothing but great reviews on their performance.