BX blew front tire! Better tire?

/ BX blew front tire! Better tire? #1  

quarencia

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230 & B3200
Put the FEL back on the other day and started driving away and right front went flat. Found a 3/4" cut in the middle of tread. Searched, but couldn't find the culprit.

The nearest Kubota dealer doesn't carry tires!!! They sent me to a local (to them) tire shop who has to order the stock OTR Grassmasters. I've seen a lot of discussions on sidewall problems with the 18x8.5x8 tires with FEL use and that Kubota switched to the 18x8.5x10 tire/rim. In my own use, I've been alarmed at how far the sidewalls collapse when turning with a full load in the bucket.

So I went looking for a better option.

I found a much heavier duty Carlisle Multi Trac C/S in 18x8.5x8 with the same mounted dimensions as the OTR Grassmaster. It's also an 8 ply instead of 4 ply like the stock OTR.

View attachment Tire.bmp

Local Carlisle dealer ordered the tires and I'm dropping off the rims to have both fronts replaced in the morning. The tires are $80 each. I'll let you know if they perform better than the stock grassmasters.

/ BX blew front tire! Better tire? #2  
I am going to assume that you will be much happier as there were other posts saying the more plys there are , the better the tire will hold up, at a cost.

/ BX blew front tire! Better tire? #3  
Put the FEL back on the other day and started driving away and right front went flat. Found a 3/4" cut in the middle of tread. Searched, but couldn't find the culprit.

The nearest Kubota dealer doesn't carry tires!!! They sent me to a local (to them) tire shop who has to order the stock OTR Grassmasters. I've seen a lot of discussions on sidewall problems with the 18x8.5x8 tires with FEL use and that Kubota switched to the 18x8.5x10 tire/rim. In my own use, I've been alarmed at how far the sidewalls collapse when turning with a full load in the bucket.

So I went looking for a better option.

I found a much heavier duty Carlisle Multi Trac C/S in 18x8.5x8 with the same mounted dimensions as the OTR Grassmaster. It's also an 8 ply instead of 4 ply like the stock OTR.

View attachment 137690

Local Carlisle dealer ordered the tires and I'm dropping off the rims to have both fronts replaced in the morning. The tires are $80 each. I'll let you know if they perform better than the stock grassmasters.

greetings and salutations,

As usual the side wall is the culprit with these problems,
the problem is the flexing of the side wall which creates havoc with loads as the tires are not designed with enough strength to deal with overhung loads.

meaning the tires have the entire load over the centerline/axle of the mower where all the weight is normally.

if they have green slime I would add it to the tires.

/ BX blew front tire! Better tire?
Picked up the new tires on Wednesday. Tread pattern is identical to stock Grass Masters. Only way to tell a difference in the tires is the name on sidewalls. I'll try to post pictures this weekend. The Carlisle's are rated at 44 psi, but I have them at 40. Picked up several large boulders and there was practically no sidewall deflection. Made two turns in low range at full left and right. Again there was practically no sidewall deflection or roll. One of these boulders was large enough that it wouldn't lift above the hood.

On the negative side, the ride is noticeably stiffer. I plan to reduce the pressure to low 30s this weekend and see how they perform.

So far I think this is a marked improvement over the stock tires.