BX driveshaft to front axle universals...

/ BX driveshaft to front axle universals... #1  

dieselbob69

Gold Member
Tractor
'21 Kubota BX2380
Hi folks! I was wondering if anyone knows if any universals can be had that are greasable? I dislike sealed universals. I am also not too fond of the amount of slop the yokes have on each end of spline,or were they designed that way?These are on a BX1870. I did look up price of new yokes, K2561-16810 is front one and lists $55.73, K2561-16820 is rear one and lists for $88.78, not sure if new ones would be greasable or not....

/ BX driveshaft to front axle universals... #2  
I bought new joints for the front shaft on my BX2230 last summer, and they were not greasable either. But then they have lasted 16 years and 1400 hours. I don't know if joints the same size with zerks are available or not.

/ BX driveshaft to front axle universals... #3  
Greasable universals are actually weaker due to the passages drilled into them. A good quality sealed joint will last just as long provided you don't damage the seal on assembly.

/ BX driveshaft to front axle universals... #4  
Greasable universals are actually weaker due to the passages drilled into them. A good quality sealed joint will last just as long provided you don't damage the seal on assembly.

After 18 years and about 1300 hours on my BX2200, I lost the rear U-joint on my front driveshaft. The roll pin that holds the u-joint in place broke, and it fell off...I could not find it, so I ordered a replacement.

After I installed the replacement, having taken the MMM off to make the job easy, I decided to clean off the top of the MMM and found the original U-joint laying there. Still seems as good as new, so I have spare I will likely never need...Or would not have until I said that...LOL