BX overheating

/ BX overheating #1  

chucko

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx1800
Like many others.I noticed that my bx temp was now starting to move real near the red. It has enver done that
Screen is clean and even took a garden hosed to the radator with no luck it would go right back up after an hour or so of mowing. Well I stopped by the carwash to clean it on the way back form mowing moms grass and took the presure wand to the radator and it was full of dust/dirt. It did not look like it but it was. After that temp is right back where it should be

So if yours is having this problem I hope this will work for you also

/ BX overheating #2  
Like many others.I noticed that my bx temp was now starting to move real near the red. It has enver done that
Screen is clean and even took a garden hosed to the radator with no luck it would go right back up after an hour or so of mowing. Well I stopped by the carwash to clean it on the way back form mowing moms grass and took the presure wand to the radator and it was full of dust/dirt. It did not look like it but it was. After that temp is right back where it should be

Yep, they can hold a bunch of hidden stuff.

/ BX overheating #3  
A few ?'s if you don't mind:

Which side did you spray it from, battery side or engine side?

Did you remove the battery first?

How much PSI pressure was the sprayer? My pressure washer is 3K PSI and I'm sure that would do damage, yet I'm guessing the wand you used had more pressure than a garden hose with nozzle.

Thanks in advance.

/ BX overheating #4  
A friend suggested and it does work well, a leaf blower. Also clogged air filter will do same thing. Note cold water on hot engine can damage some things.

/ BX overheating
Frist and formost the engine was cool. Had been off for over and hour maybe longer then trailered back home so good and air cooled. I would say the presure at the carwash was about the same as my sprayer with the white tip for use with cleaning cars I could not tell you what psi that would be. I did it from the engine side and did not remove anything as I had been working a did not really even feel like washing it

/ BX overheating #6  

Good post and yes this is common on most 500 hour plus three cylinder liquid cooled Kubota diesel engines when all the obvious items are clean.

/ BX overheating #8  
My 3240 was running a little warm the other day and I too cleaned the radiator and screens thinking that would fix it but it still ran warm. I checked the water and it was full. I checked to see if the fan would turn (should not turn if the belt is correctly adjusted). My fan was able to be turned (fairly easy to turn) thus the belt was slipping. The belt gave no indication of slippage no noise of belt slippage or dust. I tightened the belt and have never run warm again even when the screens are fairly dirty running the a/c in 98 deg heat.

My tractor at the time had 245 hours and the belt had never been adjusted since new.

/ BX overheating #9  
I had to replace my battery in the spring and couldn't believe the amount of crud that was packed in the radiator behind the battery. I've made a mental note to pull that battery a couple times a year to give the radiator a good cleaning.

/ BX overheating #10  
Thanks for the info...Gotta keep 'em cool.

Don