Bx skid plate causing mechanical noise---and how to fix it.

/ Bx skid plate causing mechanical noise---and how to fix it. #1  

frogpond

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
Maybe this will help someone else:
My bx25d has been making a rhythmic, but irregular clunking noise that seemed to come from the front end when in 4wd, and particularly in reverse. I was afraid it was a front axle problem, or maybe a u joint gone bad. I took off the skid plate (made by bxpanded--well-made, easy to install, protects the hydro fan), and gooped grease on the u joints and everything related. The noise went away. I didn't know why it got better, but I declared victory!
Then I put the skid plate back on....and the noise returned. I realized that the rear u joint on the drive shaft to the front axle slides onto the splined end of the shaft when 4wd is engaged, and that puts it into contact with the edge of the skid plate. The plate installation, in which two tabs at the front end ride on bolts sticking out from the tractor frame, allows the plate enough sideways slip to touch the yoke holding the u joint when it is slid onto the shaft. It should be possible to put spacer washers on one or both of the bolts; but I think I'll just grind a little metal off the offending plate edge.

/ Bx skid plate causing mechanical noise---and how to fix it. #2  
Have they really changed the design that much? My 2230 spins the driveshaft full time. The rear/top knuckle on that shaft actually has a roll pin through it. I know this because I just replaced it a week ago. The lever engages some gearing in the transmission, but the entire shaft is driven by the front wheels until you pull the lever.

/ Bx skid plate causing mechanical noise---and how to fix it. #3  
Have they really changed the design that much? My 2230 spins the driveshaft full time. The rear/top knuckle on that shaft actually has a roll pin through it. I know this because I just replaced it a week ago. The lever engages some gearing in the transmission, but the entire shaft is driven by the front wheels until you pull the lever.
All tractors I know of only engage & disengage fwa (front wheel assist, more or less 4wd) at the transmission. The front axle & driveshaft is always spinning when the front wheels spin. Not like 4wd trucks that disengage the front axle & the transfer case for a fraction of a mpg savings.

That driveshaft is going to be spun by the transmission or the wheels as my time the machine moves, unless something blew up bad in the front axle.

/ Bx skid plate causing mechanical noise---and how to fix it. #4  
This interests me a little also. I made a skid plate for my tractor, its 1/4" plate on a subframe that I can pin up in place in a minute or two. Before I put two or three little bolts in the front piece, I noticed a different sound to the tractor, and its not blocking the flow from the muffler. I wondered if the change in frequency wouldn't crack anything on the castings. But I don't think its enough for that. Reason I have it that heavy is because I back over it before lifting the back end to seat in place, and lifting the front end to pin in place. Takes a minute to install.