bx2200/bx1800/b7300hsd

/ bx2200/bx1800/b7300hsd #1  

boatman

Bronze Member
Tractor
KUBOTA 7500HST
looking to buy small tractor to move boats at a boat shop\ my local dealer is trying to sell me a bx1800\ he has a b7300 hsd that is last years model that he will sell for the same price is there an eaasy way to tell how long this tractor has been sitting on his lot\ i will buy a mower deck to cut the lawn here and at my house\ what is your recomendation?

/ bx2200/bx1800/b7300hsd #2  
I've been in the boat business, so I know how you're going to be using it. IMHO, go with the BX. For one thing, the BX is lower especially with turf tires, so you can bend over enough to unlatch the hitch on the trailer without getting on and off. They have 3pt hitch bars fairly cheap that will work, but you'll want to make a small mod to keep it from rotating on you when you raise the trailer up. The BX is a great machine and won't disappoint.

/ bx2200/bx1800/b7300hsd #3  
Will you be moving boats in/out of the water? The B7300 sits about 6" higher than a BX. If you are moving boats on a boatramp, you might need to clearance coming in/out of the water...

The GlueGuy

/ bx2200/bx1800/b7300hsd
we will be moving them in a parking lot and on our front yard. we already have a toyota forklift that we use. we are in the need for 1 more. my big concern is that the 1800 or 7300 will handle moving a 3000-5000 lb boat. i am going to buy a hith adapter from leinbach machinery for the 3 point and i would like to make a cylinder for the front of the tractor that would handle a hitch ball. my concern about the 7300 would be now power steering. the dealer is telling me that the 7300 has been on his lot for less than a year.

/ bx2200/bx1800/b7300hsd #5  
I think either tractor will handle the job easily, except as GlueGuy said, if you need more ground clearance (and doesn't sound like you do). For me personally, I'd sure get the power steering. I stopped by one of our customers' big boat dealership Saturday and was really surprised to see that they're using a JD4100 geared tractor instead of HST for moving boats around. Of course, they have a lot of boats that are way over the 3000 pounds that you mentioned.

Bird

/ bx2200/bx1800/b7300hsd #6  
<font color=blue>1800 or 7300 will handle moving a 3000-5000 lb boat.</font color=blue>. Per the BX Owner's Manual (1800 and 2200), trailer load capacity is 1,765 lbs. Now, I'm sure that that allots for aggressive turf and inclines, but I would think that a 5,000 lb load would be beyond manufacture's specifications.

Roy

/ bx2200/bx1800/b7300hsd #7  
I have an 8,000lb boat which I move around my yard and back in and out of my shop with my BX. In low range it doesn't even hesitate. There is about a 5 percent slope on the approach to the shop. I would definately recommend power steering if you are planning on using some type of front hitch especially on pavement

/ bx2200/bx1800/b7300hsd #8  
My Tundra is rated to pull something like 7000 lbs and then bring it to a stop safely. My BX can pull my 5000 lbs Tundra easily when in Neutral but I doubt seriously it or any other small tractor could safely bring it to a stop if it got to rolling on a hill/incline or from anything but very, very slow. The BX "tow rating" takes into account factors beyond engine/transmission pulling ability--like being able to stop, stability etc. We had a similar diiscussion not long ago--it does not take 8000 lbs of force to move an 8000 lbs object on level ground especially if it is riding on wheels. I would get the power steering for sure if you plan to mount a ball on the front. Which ever tractor I would consider getting front weights and weight in the rear wheels or a weight box for additional traction--for stopping! I have pulled large aircraft with small tugs but when one gets to rolling the safety guy better have the hydro pumps for the brakes powered up on the bird cuz the tug will just slide along like a rag doll. J

/ bx2200/bx1800/b7300hsd #9  
Well put, TresCrows. The same holds true for tow ratings for pickups and other vehicles, as well as tractors. You can safely "pull" a great deal more than the ratings, depending on speed, terrain, stopping ability, ambient temperature, distance you're going, etc. The "ratings" are a good guide, but the person who issued that rating had to "assume" all kinds of conditions. Your mileage may vary./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ bx2200/bx1800/b7300hsd #10  
I don't disagree that it could pull it. Manufacture's do take the worst case scenarios and conservative estimates (they have to). But... if planning to pull loads on a regular and ongoing basis, then the manufacture loading is something that has to be understood by the buyer. Kubota, or any equipment manufacture, has the right to say (if a problem occurs during warranty) that the intended use was violated; thus the warranty is null and void. So, it is a risk item that has to be considered. IMHO, I believe a BX could do it without damage. Risk: specifications are admissible documents.

Roy