BX2200 Steering Controller

/ BX2200 Steering Controller #1  

rs191

Tractor
BX2200, bought June 2000
The power steering hoses on my BX2200 started leaking recently. After doing research on the forums, I bought replacement hoses and started the job of installing the four new hoses.
The tractor is apart. I've attached the new hoses to the steering cylinder up front. I ran into trouble while trying to disconnect the other ends from the bottom of the steering controller (steering unit, K2561-41510) below the dash. One hose connection was removed. When trying to loosen the other hose connection, using either an 11/16" open-end flare wrench or a crowfoot flare wrench, the black nut that is part of the steering controller started turning. Since one hose was removed already, I can see that a 16mm open end fits on the steering controller piece. But I don't have enough room to put a 16mm open end on the controller piece to hold it in place while also putting the 11/16" flare wrench on the hose-end connector.
Should I try a hair dryer to expand the hose-end connector (while not dripping hydr fluid into the hair dryer!)? Should I go ahead and remove the 16mm piece from the steering controller along with the hose connection, separate them and reinstall the controller piece? Put it all back together and pay whatever the local dealer wants to charge?
(I suggest anyone changing their hoses get a stubby 11/16" wrench to use on the connections on the steering cylinder up front.)
I have the tools and the time (retired), but little experience.
Will taking the piece off the steering controller cause even more problems? There was a lot of muck on the hose connectors under the dash, so there've apparently been minor leaks up there for a long time. This is a BX2200 with about 730 hours that I bought in June 2000. This is the first time the hoses are being replaced, so I'm very aware that I was lucky to make it this far before a hose blew out.
Thanks, Rich

/ BX2200 Steering Controller
A picture looking up under the dash at the bottom of the steering controller. One front hose disconnected, but trying to remove the left foreground connector spins the connector that is coming out of the bottom of the steering controller.

Attachments

• BX2200 Steering Hoses to Controller.jpg
    BX2200 Steering Hoses to Controller.jpg
    681.9 KB · Views: 683
   / BX2200 Steering Controller #3  
I think I had the same issue. I used a thin wrench to hold the fitting from turning. I had to remove another fitting to get access.

/ BX2200 Steering Controller #4  
The fitting that is loosened is an SAE to JIC fitting. When I did my hose (also) I simply removed the hose with the fitting, unscrewed the fitting from the hose and screwed it back into the steering valve. I tightened it with a socket and then attached the new hose. The SAE end (into the valve) is an o-ring fitting, so just tighten it up so that it does not move when you install and tighten the JIC on the hose end.

paul

/ BX2200 Steering Controller
Cup149 and Techman, I was going to look for a thinner 16mm wrench (or try to grind one down) because I thought the fitting that was "stuck" to the hose might have a ball check valve above it. Now I'll use the "Techman approach". I hope this helps the next guy doing this hose replacement. Thanks, Rich