BX2230 for a mower?

/ BX2230 for a mower? #1  

ishiboo

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX6010HSTC, Cat 279c
My JD D130 need to be replaced this year, I knew it was a POS when I bought it but I needed something cheap and light to mow. There's a nice clean bx2230 with 550 hours on it for sale locally for $7k with the 60" MMM, which I'm considering. I need a much larger deck than the 48" as I now have about 3+ acres of grass to mow, and I'd also like to pull a dethatcher, core aerator, and an occasional small trailer around the yard. The L3650 and skid loader are too heavy during much of the year when the yard is not perfectly dry, since we're on clay.

1. Good tractor to be used as a mower? Too large/heavy for mowing duty alone? Should I be looking at a 72" given the amount of grass I have?

2. Good price? It appears to be in excellent condition, looks shiny, stored indoors and quite clean.

3. Transmission strong enough for pulling the things I want to pull?

Thanks!

/ BX2230 for a mower? #2  
Yes, it will do exactly what you want. It will easily pull the stuff you want. I own a newer version, BX2350, and it makes a good mower.

Good price? Not really. These things always seem expensive and over price used, but that is probably the going rate.

It has a high and low range, it will easily pull what you want.

Another option if you want just a mowing machine would be to look for a zero turn.

/ BX2230 for a mower? #3  
I think it would be a good choice for 3 acres. I find that mine will cut grass faster than my back can take, but a lot better ride than my O turn. They are tough little machines. I have never had a problem with BX sinking in or tearing up grass even when turning sharp. Kioti 45 will tear up grass if wet going in a straight line. Not up on pricing if it has loader sounds OK, without sounds high to me. Had a buddy buy a BX 2200 with loader and backhoe ( kubota ) with under 500 hours for 10,500 and it is in good shape.

/ BX2230 for a mower? #4  
My JD D130 need to be replaced this year, I knew it was a POS when I bought it but I needed something cheap and light to mow. There's a nice clean bx2230 with 550 hours on it for sale locally for $7k with the 60" MMM, which I'm considering. I need a much larger deck than the 48" as I now have about 3+ acres of grass to mow, and I'd also like to pull a dethatcher, core aerator, and an occasional small trailer around the yard. The L3650 and skid loader are too heavy during much of the year when the yard is not perfectly dry, since we're on clay. 1. Good tractor to be used as a mower? Too large/heavy for mowing duty alone? Should I be looking at a 72" given the amount of grass I have? 2. Good price? It appears to be in excellent condition, looks shiny, stored indoors and quite clean. 3. Transmission strong enough for pulling the things I want to pull? Thanks!

I've mowed with a BX series tractor for a dozen or so years. I only mow about a half acre but the 60" deck covers it in no time. It's real maneuverable and the hydro makes it easy to control speed for spots where the grass is heavier or the ground is not flat. I also pull a coring aerator with no problems at all. Price wise, it's hard to say. Different markets have varying prices. I think I'd want to see a loader come with it for that price but that's just me.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ BX2230 for a mower?
Thanks folks. This is not a loader, just the MMM.

Should I be looking for a 72" deck tractor? Time is precious :)

I think a tractor is a lot more versatile than a zero-turn for me, I have a loader on the L3650 and obviously the skid loader is a loader, but perhaps even the 2230 with loader would be better for lawn/garden work. Wish there was one, cheap machine that did it all :)