BX2230 front driveline ujoint

/ BX2230 front driveline ujoint #1  

cmyoung2

Gold Member
Tractor
BCS 850, Kubota BX2230 w/FEL, mid mount mower, 41" tiller Kubota L3600 w/4-1FEL, Farmi winch
Have a BX2230 with FEL and using a 50"flail on the back. Turf tires with chains, loaded rears, 2" rear spacers. Have about 600hrs on the tractor. My son noticed the mid drive shaft dangling today, have lost the driveshaft ujoint(mid joint at the carrier bearing) for the front wheel drive(may explain a rapid trip down a steep hill). Replacing is no big deal, already have the part ordered. I just can't figure out how the whole joint came off the shaft. The pin that holds it on was sheared, but not sure how. Any ideas??

/ BX2230 front driveline ujoint #2  
The yoke was probably worn and moving around and just finally fatigued or wore through the pin. Check the fit of the new one to be sure the pinion on the front diff isn't worn.
I replaced the front shaft and joints on my 2230 last year. I t had a little play in the splines on the front pinion, but the new one fit with almost no play. That got rid of a vibration I had when in 4wd.

/ BX2230 front driveline ujoint
Thanks, I'll check for play on the shaft. Didn't notice any vibration, but it stays in 4x4 all the time and I might not have noticed.

/ BX2230 front driveline ujoint #4  
Thanks, I'll check for play on the shaft. Didn't notice any vibration, but it stays in 4x4 all the time and I might not have noticed.
It took about 1600 hours on my BX2200 before that roll pin broke and the U joint fell off the transmission shaft.

The roll pin is all that holds the back u joint in position. The other side of the U joint is not pinned, which allows the drive shaft to slip in and out as needed during use.

Orient the slot in the roll pin correctly when you install it. The slot should face the front or rear, so the pin is not stressed (as much) by normal movement due to clearance between the splines.

/ BX2230 front driveline ujoint
Ordered the complete joint and pin from Messicks 8/19(Thur) Got it 8/21-Sat. Amazed.

/ BX2230 front driveline ujoint #6  
I've broken that roll pin twice. I can't help but wonder if you can't max out the front axle rocking to one side and maybe even flexing the frame a little bit so that the shaft and knuckle become too long for the distance anymore. An easy fix, but it sucks to drive even a short distance to get back to the garage. First time I was really concerned because I was backing up when it fell down. I thought I had screwed up the whole front axle.