BX23 BT600 Cylinder rebuild parts

/ BX23 BT600 Cylinder rebuild parts #1  

tshep

Gold Member
Tractor
BX23 MLB
are ridiculous! I had done my FEL myself one at a time so I didn't notice as much, but these X4, X1 are really adding up. I was gonna' get the ones I needed and a spare, so far it's $800 for a few o-rings, slides, and seals - wow!
So, rant over, base BT600 Boom/Dipper/Stab/Stab seem to be same kit, Bucket another (controls 6X same kit).
How do I find these from OE supplier?
How do I buy them reasonable?
Can I just cross from K seal kits?

THX any and all!

/ BX23 BT600 Cylinder rebuild parts #2  
I doubt that Kubota makes the cylinders. They might spec. their cylinders to be a certain length or have a special end, but cylinders, rods, seals, and such are standard industrial items. Not much new in that world.

I take all my cylinders to the local hydraulic repair shop.
You might want to check and see if you have a local shop. Often they don't advertise.
The shop I used does all the work for the local tractor dealers: Cat, yellow JD, Kubota, NH, and green JD dealers.

They have all the seals and o rings in stock and can do all the work right there. It's not fancy... a tin building and a desk is about all. Nice lathes, though.

Typical rebuild for a cylinder seems to be about a couple hundred bucks. Sometimes less.

/ BX23 BT600 Cylinder rebuild parts #3  
May be just me, but I have no idea at all what you are trying to say.

/ BX23 BT600 Cylinder rebuild parts #4  
Maybe cheaper to work through local repair shop either for rebuild and/or generic parts?

/ BX23 BT600 Cylinder rebuild parts #5  
Take the seals with you, go to an hydraulic shop, have them match the seals and be done with it for under $50, give or take, for each cylinder.

/ BX23 BT600 Cylinder rebuild parts #6  
May be just me, but I have no idea at all what you are trying to say.
Well, the OP seems to be saying that he wonders which Kubota seal kits will cross over so he can save money on cylinder rebuilds.

Cylinder & hose rebuild questions come up pretty often.

Cylinder (and hose) work is far less expensive by simply taking the cylinders to a hydraulic shop instead of going to a tractor dealer for parts. Let the hydraulic shop either do the work or match the parts out of their stock.

Does that help?
rScotty

/ BX23 BT600 Cylinder rebuild parts #7  
Well, the OP seems to be saying that he wonders which Kubota seal kits will cross over so he can save money on cylinder rebuilds.

Cylinder (and hose) work is far less expensive by simply taking the cylinders to a hydraulic shop instead of going to a tractor dealer for parts. Let the hydraulic shop either do the work or match the parts out of their stock.

Does that help?
rScotty
True for cylinder repair, hoses are a moving target. Any dealership I have worked at has been more than competitive to local sources for custom hoses made while you wait.

/ BX23 BT600 Cylinder rebuild parts #8  

Does that help?
rScotty
I kinda gathered all that.

But still have no idea what he is saying. Nothing is coherant.

But yea.....take to a hydraulic shop. They match by rod/bore size. Dont really matter who made the cylinder.

It would be like trying to go through kubota to order nuts and bolts.

/ BX23 BT600 Cylinder rebuild parts
BX23 BT600 (fairly popular SCUT tractor type, and its backhoe attachment designations) cylinder (hydraulic, area of forum) rebuild parts (mostly circular pieces needed to restore to service after years of use and wear, commonly sold in a group - kit) are ridiculous (overly priced for what there is in a kit)!

I had done (personally rebuilt) my FEL (common abbreviation for Front End Loader, equipment on same BX 23 tractor assembly) myself one at a time (one hydraulic cylinder was rebuilt and restored to service, then later another, and so on for a total of three [3] on this end of machine) so I didn't notice as much (purchasing one at a time the price did not add up to such a significant [high] amount of dollars),
(I'll agree this is a run-on, and should have at least been a semicolon);
but these (the kits for the new problem area, the BT600) X4, X1 (one kit is used in four [4] places, another used in one [1] place) are really adding up (the total amount in dollars to prepare for the job is a lot of money).

I was gonna' get (had placed in a Messick's cart) the ones (kits) I needed (for the hydraulic cylinders that are leaking down[indicating internal passage of fluid]) and a spare (extra kit, to have in stock on the shelf for each hydraulic cylinder that used a different kit [presumably for size differences]), so far (the total of the cart before purchase) it's (it is - the cart total) $800 (US dollars) for a few o-rings, slides, and seals (description of repair kit contents, the circular pieces needed to repair and return the hydraulic cylinders to service) - wow (personal observation of the price when doing more than one at a time)!

So, rant over (common ending of personal opinion section in forum posts), base (simplest factory version) BT600 (machine section designation being worked on) Boom/Dipper/Stab/Stab (names of backhoe cylinder function/locations ("Dipper" for dipperstick, "Stab" twice to indicate to the two [2] stabilizers) seem to be same kit (though these are 4 different cylinders, they share the same repair kits), Bucket (another backhoe function) another (this one takes another [different] kit to repair)
(controls 6X same kit)(the control valve section has six [6] different functions to control the different cylinders, they all take the same rebuild kit).

How do I find these from OE supplier?
(I do not wish the pay the high prices to get these [as many as twelve {12}] kits through the Kubota system. I wish to find them [or someone willing to help me find them] from the supplier to Kubota [commonly an Original Equipment], a manufacturer who specializes in an item and sells them to equipment manufacturers, and often to users)

How do I buy them reasonable?
(I hope to buy them at say, only 10 times the cost to manufacture. [This was sarcasm again, sorry.] I had hoped to buy them at a price similar to the individual parts prices in a non-captive [open] market.)

Can I just cross from K seal kits?
(I had made a cylinder and repair kit chart to establish pricing, and hoped a helper would know a website that could cross-reference [function of using an index to convert] from the Kubota part numbers for either the cylinders or the actual kits to that suppliers number system. If someone helping knew a supplier's website that could just cross-reference it would be very helpful.)

THX any and all!
(For some reason, I'm trying to be friendly and pre-emptively [in advance] thank someone for actually trying to help me.)

Thanks for all the help!

I did find a guy (hydraulic cylinder company) that worked 'by the hour'. I'm thinking of taking one (of the hydraulic cylinders) in (to the shop) pre-disassembled and trying him out.
The hard parts of the job seem to be holding the pieces while loosening the two [2] nuts and placing the hard plastic seal/slide on the piston with minimal (the least amount of) deformation (damage).
He did mention "metric" as though a potential ('time will tell') problem. I can find no size listings for these particular hydraulic cylinders. I don't know if that will be really a problem.

Last edited:
   / BX23 BT600 Cylinder rebuild parts #10  

Hercules lists some kits by kit part number. They also sell seals and other cylinder soft parts by style and dimension. The onus is on you to determine your needs when ordering by dimension or kit part number.
I have ordered from Hercules in the past and would again.