BX2660 vs Deere X748

/ BX2660 vs Deere X748 #1  

bxkubota

Silver Member
Tractor
BX25
I have been reading this forum for awhile now and my father-in-law is in the market for a new tractor. Yesterday we started out for the Kubota dealer and found they were closed on Mondays so we stopped by the John Deere dealer. He immediately was drawn to an X748 with the iron 60" deck. An out the door price of 11,795 with a mulch kit and turf tires to allow for the striping kit already installed. I have been a Kubota fan for years and am a fan of the BX line. So today we hit the Kubota dealer and he found a BX2660 with the 60" deck no hydraulic ports for 12,300 out the door. Cash deal no financing needed. The mower will be used for mowing a little under 2 acres with a pretty good hill on the back side. The option of a snow blower or plow might be an add on in the future, but a walk behind blower handles the 300 foot paved drive for now. The current tractor is a Gravely 20G that needs a new deck due to not being cleaned very often during the past 15 years. Just looking for anyones two cents on the right choice.

/ BX2660 vs Deere X748 #2  
They are both fine machines, but vastly different. To the beginning shopper, it is all a blur, but slow motion shows some big differences. The X700 is premium, riding lawn mower. Maybe, the best there is.

The BX2660 is way, way above the x700 in power and tractor features. Those tractor features make a long list. Honestly? They don't really compare, more like apples and oranges. The Deere subcut 2305 or even 2320 would be more closely related.

In my opinion, FWIW, Kubota doesn't make anything that competes directly with the X700 series. But then, Deere doesn't make anything that competes directly with Kubota's B1860. The BX1860 can be had for much less than the X700, but again, one is a premium lawn mower and the other a baseline BX tractor with ROPS, Cat 1 3 pt, FEL options, etc. Not really the same, although some overlap in utility.

Last edited:
   / BX2660 vs Deere X748 #3  
I have been reading this forum for awhile now and my father-in-law is in the market for a new tractor. Yesterday we started out for the Kubota dealer and found they were closed on Mondays so we stopped by the John Deere dealer. He immediately was drawn to an X748 with the iron 60" deck. An out the door price of 11,795 with a mulch kit and turf tires to allow for the striping kit already installed. I have been a Kubota fan for years and am a fan of the BX line. So today we hit the Kubota dealer and he found a BX2660 with the 60" deck no hydraulic ports for 12,300 out the door. Cash deal no financing needed. The mower will be used for mowing a little under 2 acres with a pretty good hill on the back side. The option of a snow blower or plow might be an add on in the future, but a walk behind blower handles the 300 foot paved drive for now. The current tractor is a Gravely 20G that needs a new deck due to not being cleaned very often during the past 15 years. Just looking for anyones two cents on the right choice.
Jumping from a glorified lawn mower to a real tractor for only 205 dollars more is a no brainer.

/ BX2660 vs Deere X748 #4  
They are both fine machines, but vastly different. To the beginning shopper, it is all a blur, but slow motion shows some big differences. The X700 is premium, riding lawn mower. Maybe, the best there is.

The BX2660 is way, way above the x700 in power and tractor features. Those tractor features make a long list. Honestly? They don't really compare, more like apples and oranges. The Deere subcut 2305 or even 2320 would be more closely related.

In my opinion, FWIW, Kubota doesn't make anything that competes directly with the X700 series. But then, Deere doesn't make anything that competes directly with Kubota's B1860. The BX1860 can be had for much less than the X700, but again, one is a premium lawn mower and the other a baseline BX tractor with ROPS, Cat 1 3 pt, FEL options, etc. Not really the same, although some overlap in utility.

Good explanation...it is an apples to oranges comparison of function. :)

/ BX2660 vs Deere X748 #5  
Good explanation...it is an apples to oranges comparison of function. :)

Maybe I should have said, Green Apples to Oranges?:D:D

Look, despite the "glorified lawn mower" comments, which should be taken with a grain of salt, as the X700 series IS INTENDED to be a GLORIFIED lawn mower. The BX series is intended to be a Swiss Army Knife type compact tractor.

Yup, Green Apples to Oranges in comparison. They simply are different. If all I had to do was mow 5 hours a day, every 3 days, the expensive X700 might be just the ticket. I don't. I needed the BX for tractor duties that the X700 simply cannot do as well. The jobs intended must influence the decision.

/ BX2660 vs Deere X748 #6  
If money is also a big deciding factor I believe the price on the Kubota is a bit high with a MMM instead of a FEL. Have him or you contact Barlows or one of the other dealers that sell online and deliver to your area. If for no other reason than to get a price to go back to the local dealer.

/ BX2660 vs Deere X748 #7  
Apparently, your father-in-law wants to mow and maybe put on a blower in the future. There's a steepish hill out back. No brainer to me... the x748.

Unless he's inclined to use ground-engaging implements or get a loader, the BX is the lesser piece of equipment for that man's application. That's why both companies offer both models... just like a Lincoln sedan vs. a Nissan pickup. The Nissan'll do more, but not everyone wants the road noise and bumpy ride if they're just cruising the interstate.

From what I've read, you can't get a better cut than with the 7-iron, shy of a walk-behind or F-series style mower.

/ BX2660 vs Deere X748 #8  
I yield to no one in my love of the BX2660, but the reason I went with the BX line in the first place was for its use as a multi function piece of equipment. It is a "good" choice as a tractor or mower, but not the "best" for either. If I was in the market for "just a mower", I would go for a dedicated mower.

/ BX2660 vs Deere X748
I appreciate all the input and keep the opinions coming. The funny thing is my father in law doesn't cut the grass. My mother in law cuts the grass as soon as the first blade shows a sign of growth. So she is the one doing the majority of the seat time. She has no opinion either way and each day we come back from tractor shopping she asks if we got her a tractor yet. My father in law doesn't share the same passion as I for orange, but tractors don't fascinate him either which makes the decision more difficult for him.

/ BX2660 vs Deere X748 #10  
So L.B you would really go to the BX2660?