Grading BX2763 Blade Setup

/ BX2763 Blade Setup #1  

rs191

Tractor
BX2200, bought June 2000
Just got the BX2763 hydr. adjustable front blade for my ten year old BX2200. How do you guys set it up for snow removal? And have you used it for grading dirt around the yard?

I bought the rubber edge for the blade. Do you raise the round skid shoes all the way (all 8 disks on top) and let the blade ride just on the squeegee edge? When I put 6 disks on top (2 below), it looks like the skidshoes will leave an inch of snow on the driveway.

For snowplowing, do you hook up the blade so the trip springs are in play or do you lock the blade solid?

I've been using the BX2750 front snowblower since I got the tractor, so this blade is for smaller snowfalls here in Orange County, NY. Will retire to a cabin at 1000 ft. elevation in the Adirondacks, 40 minutes north of Lake Placid. Also bought the blade to use up there, with the frequent snows and the 1400' driveway.

Rich

/ BX2763 Blade Setup #2  
i've had mine for about a month but i'll tell you what i do. i don't have the rubber so this may be alittle different. i took the skid shoes off completely. i can't see going to the effort of clearing snow if it doesn't clean completely. and i had the blade locked without realizing but i've been carefull not to hit anything. now that we have some ice under the snow i've removed the locks and tripped the springs once.this setup is great for light or very heavy snow and i've been very happy with it. won't be able to tell you anything about the plow for dirt until i use it this spring.
steve
bx25

/ BX2763 Blade Setup #3  
If you have a black top driveway you can just use the rubber [but the rubber will wear faster with no shoes].If you say leave a 1/4 " of snow it usally melts real quick when first bit of sun hits it and no wear on your edge.But if you like it clean you can just use rubber.Also if snow or ice freeze's on driveway you can't beat the steel edge.As far as trip spring when snow plowing I would want blade to trip if I hit something buried in snow,like the corner of you flagstone patio or something else you really don't want messed up. You most likely will be needing that blower and the blade during your retirement 40 miles north of Lake Placid for sure.

/ BX2763 Blade Setup #4  
The skid shoes are there so you can adjust for different conditions etc. If you're only scraping perfect pavement, then not using them is likely fine. I have a gravel drive and lane that I plow. If I did not use the skid shoes (especially if it has recently been above freezing) and allow some of the snow to stay and pack on the surface, I'd be scraping the gravel off to the side of the lane.
In the manual it says to keep speeds below 3 mph (I think) if you are going to use the locking mechanism. The trip springs are useful while plowing snow as you can keep speeds up and move the snow off to the side better without great risk an abrupt stop. If you hit something solid at speed with the blade locked, it will stop the tractor and possibly break something. The trip springs are strong enough that they can be adjusted to not trip very readily. In fact, I just plowed my gravel lane for two hours and the only time I recall seeing the blade pivot forward (tripping) was when I caught the end of my neighbor's asphalt driveway. I cannot think of a good reason to lock the blade while plowing snow.
I've used mine to grade dirt in my yard and gravel on the lane and am pleased with it.
I do not have the rubber edge.

Last edited:
   / BX2763 Blade Setup #5  
I never lock the blade while plowing snow.My driveway is asphalt and I removed the skid shoes,I use the steel cuting edge.I have not noticed any damage to my drive.

/ BX2763 Blade Setup #6  
Just got the BX2763 hydr. adjustable front blade for my ten year old BX2200. How do you guys set it up for snow removal?
1*And have you used it for grading dirt around the yard?
2*I bought the rubber edge for the blade.
3* Do you raise the round skid shoes all the way (all 8 disks on top) and let the blade ride just on the squeegee edge?
4*When I put 6 disks on top (2 below), it looks like the skidshoes will leave an inch of snow on the driveway.
5*For snowplowing, do you hook up the blade so the trip springs are in play or do you lock the blade solid?
1*YES it's great for both dirt and snow,
2*I don't have the rubber edge.
3*
4*This is how I set mine.
5*I did not know you could lock and unlock the blade .
How do you do it?

6* i don't have the rubber so this may be alittle different.
7* i took the skid shoes off completely. i can't see going to the effort of clearing snow if it doesn't clean completely.
8* i had the blade locked without realizing but i've been carefull not to hit anything. now that we have some ice under the snow i've removed the locks and tripped the springs once.
9*this setup is great for light or very heavy snow and i've been very happy with it.
10*won't be able to tell you anything about the plow for dirt until i use it this spring.
steve
bx25
6*Neither do I.
7*I thought I could maintain the blade hight with the FEL leaver.
Soon found out that wasn't going to work so I ordered and installed the shoes.
8*How do you lock and unlock it?
9*It certainly is .
10*It's just as great for dirt gravel & slag as it is for snow.

The skid shoes are there so you can adjust for different conditions etc. If you're only scraping perfect pavement, then not using them is likely fine.
11*I have a gravel drive and lane that I plow. If I did not use the skid shoes (especially if it has recently been above freezing) and allow some of the snow to stay and pack on the surface, I'd be scraping the gravel off to the side of the lane.
12* The trip springs are strong enough that they can be adjusted to not trip very readily. In fact, I just plowed my gravel lane for two hours and the only time I recall seeing the blade pivot forward (tripping) was when I caught the end of my neighbor's asphalt driveway.
13*I cannot think of a good reason to lock the blade while plowing snow.
14*I've used mine to grade dirt in my yard and gravel on the lane and am pleased with it.
15*I do not have the rubber edge.
11*I have a slag driveway so had to get skid shoes.
12*
13* What do you mean by locking it?
14*Right the blade is great for both.
15.I don't either.

/ BX2763 Blade Setup #7  
When my blade came delivered, it did so with the clips in place, which prevent the blade from springing forward if hitting a stiff object.

I removed the little silver clips just before winter. I don't recommend pushing snow with the little clips in place. You want the blade to tip, to absorb the shock with the springs.

/ BX2763 Blade Setup #8  
*How do you lock and unlock it?

On the back of the blade there are ribs that are in line with the ends of the horizontal pivot pin around which the blade trips or rotates. In each of those ribs there are two holes, one above and one near the top of the stops that the blade rests against. There are simple U shaped clips that are held on by pins through those holes. If you put the pin and Clip in the lower hole the clip falls behind the stop and keeps the top of the blade from pivoting forward. You can see that the black "U" clip is in the upper hole on the left side of this abused (but now lovingly restored by another member) blade. The lower hole is just visible...

Attachments

• S5300083.JPG
    S5300083.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 588
Last edited:
   / BX2763 Blade Setup #9  
5*I did not know you could lock and unlock the blade .
8*How do you lock and unlock it?

When my blade came delivered, it did so with the clips in place, which prevent the blade from springing forward if hitting a stiff object.
I removed the little silver clips just before winter. I don't recommend pushing snow with the little clips in place. You want the blade to tip, to absorb the shock with the springs.

On the back of the blade there are ribs that are in line with the ends of the horizontal pivot pin around which the blade trips or rotates. In each of those ribs there are two holes, one above and one near the top of the stops that the blade rests against. There are simple U shaped clips that are held on by pins through those holes. If you put the pin and Clip in the lower hole the clip falls behind the stop and keeps the top of the blade from pivoting forward. You can see that the black "U" clip is in the upper hole on the left side of this abused (but now lovingly restored by another member) blade. The lower hole is just visible...
8*Thanks fellows for answering my queation about locking and unlocking the front blade.
I checked it out yeasterday.
Works simple and easy.
Again thanks guys.

/ BX2763 Blade Setup
I've got a new (embarassing) question. (I started this msg thread when I first bought the BX2763 front blade with the B2766 rubber edge.)

The local Kubota dealer had installed the rubber edge before they delivered the blade. I was not home that day, so I did not talk to the delivery guy about the unit.

When I took the rubber edge off recently to level some dirt in the back yard, I realized the STANDARD reversible metal cutting edge was not backing up the rubber edge. So, getting the rubber edge installed by the dealer means I didn't get the standard edge they took off.

This is a good dealership, with a good reputation among the local contractors I've spoken with. If I had bought a used blade, I (probably) would have been more careful about getting all that I needed and paid for.

Even though it was over two years ago, I went to the salesman that sold me the blade and rubber edge (BX2763A, B2766). He mentioned how long it'd been since the sale, and seemed to doubt my story a bit. I did say I would double-check in my garage, but that a 6" x 60" chunk of steel would have been tough to lose in a dusty corner.

He said something like -"That's not a part that we can order, but we usually have a few around the shop." He did look in their parts storage barn, in their storage field and with the guys in the shop. No BX2763A cutting edges to be found.

So - if they deliver the steel cutting edge when they sell blade/squeegee combos, WHY would they "usually have some [edges] hanging around the shop"? Especially if it is a part that can't be ordered separately.

I'm going to the dealer today to pick up RCK60B-22BX "dust covers" that mount just over the blades. Two were damaged when I "found" some old fence wire at the edge of the mowing area. This dealer has them in stock, in my opinion that helps define a good dealer. And the salesman did try to scrounge up a cutting edge when I first told him it wasn't delivered. This dealer is above average, but I'm still mad that they didn't deliver the cutting edge that was standard equipment - AND that I didn't realize it was missing.

Yeah - I know the "buyer beware" maxim, but how many people check that the spare tire is in the trunk when they pick up their NEW car? Used car, sure - but new?

Lastly - anyone in the lower Hudson Valley with a BX2763A steel cutting edge they won't every use?
thanks, Rich