By pass of seat safety switch - pro's & con's

/ By pass of seat safety switch - pro's & con's #1  

pmsmechanic

Elite Member
Tractor
4410 and F-935 John Deere, MF 245
Several month's ago my John Deere 4410 wouldn't crank over. The problem turned out to be the seat safety switch which I bypassed with a jumper wire. So now I have a tractor that starts.

The problem I'm having is that the tractor is so handy like this. No pushing down on the seat to move the tractor a bit while hooking up implements. (I have a hydrostatic transmission.) It's also very handy on the trailer as I don't use boomers on the rear of the tractor. I just hook up the chains and move the tractor forward to tighten them up.

At this point the question is do I replace the switch? I really like the tractor like this but I could be missing something that I'm not thinking of. That's where you guys come in. I'm not interested in lectures from the safety police. I want genuine scenarios where no safety switch could be a problem. I'm looking for situations that I might not have thought of. At this point I'm of the mind that if I do replace the switch I will also install a bypass switch as the current ability to inch the tractor is so handy. I invite your thoughts?

/ By pass of seat safety switch - pro's & con's #2  
My tractor has a safety switch in the seat but it only triggers if the PTO is on. If PTO is off, I can get on and off, push the pedals to move it forward and reverse while standing next to it, run the loader, raise and lower the 3 point hitch etc. I wouldn't bypass the PTO safety, but would not want a safety that kills the tractor if I get off the seat.

/ By pass of seat safety switch - pro's & con's #3  

Everybody has different tolerances of risk, and abilities, and trust in those abilities. Those tolerances often depend on what is being risked (A scraped knuckle or being crushed?)
That said, I’d avoid standing in front of the tire when starting it. At least have the other hand on a fender, handle or foot on a step so that tractor takes you with it, instead of driving over you, on the day the big surprise happens.
I wouldn’t stand in front of a tire when I was inching tractors back to attach an implement either. Only takes that 1 brain fart to hit the forward pedal when you meant reverse and crush yourself.

/ By pass of seat safety switch - pro's & con's #4  
Re: By pass of seat safety switch - pro's & con's

If I couldn't get off my tractor with it still running, I would disconnect any safety switch in a flash.
That said, I follow the rules about always having roll bar up & seat belt on. Also, before I get off, I lower the bucket & back blade and set the parking brake.

/ By pass of seat safety switch - pro's & con's #5  

Several month's ago my John Deere 4410 wouldn't crank over. The problem turned out to be the seat safety switch which I bypassed with a jumper wire. So now I have a tractor that starts.

The problem I'm having is that the tractor is so handy like this. No pushing down on the seat to move the tractor a bit while hooking up implements. (I have a hydrostatic transmission.) It's also very handy on the trailer as I don't use boomers on the rear of the tractor. I just hook up the chains and move the tractor forward to tighten them up.

At this point the question is do I replace the switch? I really like the tractor like this but I could be missing something that I'm not thinking of. That's where you guys come in. I'm not interested in lectures from the safety police. I want genuine scenarios where no safety switch could be a problem. I'm looking for situations that I might not have thought of. At this point I'm of the mind that if I do replace the switch I will also install a bypass switch as the current ability to inch the tractor is so handy. I invite your thoughts?

No safety police needed. I think you have already answered your own questions.

Tractor can move under power with no driver. Improperly securing tractor to a moving trailor is a separate issue I guess.

Ok, a real life problem. If you are operating a brush hog (or other equipment) and end up on the ground the tractor will run over you. Tree limb, unknown hole, bees and wasps, etc. Things happen, thus the safety (pain in the rear) switches. If using a forklift attachment or lifting bucket loads up high you stand a good chance for problems that you will not want to have a increased by a running tractor.

Any possibility of someone else using the tractor? If they have a accident its a problem. When its found that the safety devices were modified, more problems.

Best of luck with whatever you do. I do understand the handy part of having the jumper wire installed in the switch.

/ By pass of seat safety switch - pro's & con's #6  
Re: By pass of seat safety switch - pro's & con's

No safety police needed. I think you have already answered your own questions.

Tractor can move under power with no driver. Improperly securing tractor to a moving trailor is a separate issue I guess.

Ok, a real life problem. If you are operating a brush hog (or other equipment) and end up on the ground the tractor will run over you. Tree limb, unknown hole, bees and wasps, etc. Things happen, thus the safety (pain in the rear) switches. If using a forklift attachment or lifting bucket loads up high you stand a good chance for problems that you will not want to have a increased by a running tractor.

Any possibility of someone else using the tractor? If they have a accident its a problem. When its found that the safety devices were modified, more problems.

Best of luck with whatever you do. I do understand the handy part of having the jumper wire installed in the switch.

Agreed. Seems we read several times a year about someone getting run over by a tire and/or their own implement after falling off their machine or while hooking up implements.

As for PTO shafts, that's what the guards are for. If you get too close, hopefully it won't grab your clothing.

/ By pass of seat safety switch - pro's & con's
I've always avoided the tires when moving the tractor. So far anyways. Even while holding the seat down with my hand.

When I have the seat switch installed my tractor does kill the engine (short delay) if I'm not sitting in the seat. (cruise on or pto on) I don't mind that but it is nice to be able to stand on long jobs without keeping a knee on the seat.

Good point on the tractor keeping moving if I fall off. The only way that would happen is if I have the cruise control on. That doesn't happen often but it still could happen. I have a dual pedal hydrostatic transmission. If your foot comes off the pedal the tractor stops. (no cruise control on)

Keep the ideas coming. I like what I'm reading.

/ By pass of seat safety switch - pro's & con's #8  
I grew up around tractors before they had these safty features. I knew one man who lost an arm and a couple others with broken arms from corn pickers. A poor fella found wrapped around pto shaft between Brush Hog and idling tractor. Two killed and a few seriously injured when pre-war Farmalls reared and fell over. Many farm kids began driving tractors before turning ten. I heard of many things ran over and through but only one accident that required a Dr visit. Boy sitting on fender fell off tractor driven by his teen brother traveling in road gear. Now days hardly a year go's by without a serious injury or death eventhough collective hours of operation is probab;y less than 1% of what they were when everyone farmed. Sadly,many of these things injuries/deaths result from dad alowing kids to ride on tractor. Point is that training is far more effective in preventing accidents than attempts by mfgrs to idiot proof tractors. If one must go on the net for instructions on operating a tractor rather than having an experienced mentor,they should never monkey around with safty features.
How do I really feel about safty switches? I recently replaced my worn out lawn tractor used to get in places too narrow for the Z turn. Big easy riding tires,comfortable seat and 25 horsepower . I was beginning to think I might injoy mowing,,,,,then I ran up into a corner and hit reverse and it died. Safty switch prevented deck running while in reverse. It was mowing just fine in reverse after a brief visit to my shop.:D

/ By pass of seat safety switch - pro's & con's #9  
With an HST tractor the pedals usually return to neutral if the operator lifts their foot off. That would lessen the chance of falling off and getting run over by the mower.

/ By pass of seat safety switch - pro's & con's #10  
I purely hate the safety nannies, a neutral safety is the only one I agree having. The rest are IMHO because there are so many purchasing equipment that could not pour urine out of a boot with instructions on the heel. And they can't be bothered to read the instructions so end up pourin it on themselves. Along comes lawyers just looking for a reason to litigate and says there should have been a cap on the boot to prevent it from leaking and sues the company. Companies are trying to have some protection from expensive court appearances when in the end you cannot fix STUPID.

Had an issue with a Z turn the other day, not mine, where the mower got an oil bath because the dipstick worked loose and I asked cleaned it up with the pressure washer like I have done on all my equipment many times over the years. The mower would not start, run, could not move it or engage the PTO because of the many switches that apparently got wet. After many hours finally got everything back to "normal" after bypassing the switches to find which ones had to be replaced. All the safeties just add to the cost and affect dependablity of the equipment.

So in order to have a machine you can use it is necessary to bypass the switches which puts the responsiblity for safety back on the user which is where it belongs. Using equipment around kids and pets is stupid, giving rides while doing ANYTHING with a machine is stupid, drinking ANYTHING other than water or soft drink while using a machine is stupid and backing up without checking your surroundings is BEYOND stupid. The list is endless of things people should not have to be told NOT to do, which causes things added to the machines just to prevent them from doing it. If you lack good sense then you do not need to be using or better yet owning the machine, PERIOD. Safety is between the ears.