Cab Forward

/ Cab Forward #21  
Makes sense to me--front axle loading benefits from that design, but maintainability suffers. Win some, lose some.

As a former piping and mechanical designer, I learned that all design is a compromise and there is no such thing as the 'perfect design.'

/ Cab Forward #22  
As a former piping and mechanical designer, I learned that all design is a compromise and there is no such thing as the 'perfect design.'

Yep, no doubt about that. I spent 32 years as an aerospace engineer, a lot of which involved design compromises (e.g. Skylab, shuttle, space station, the list goes on and on).

/ Cab Forward #23  
Yep, no doubt about that. I spent 32 years as an aerospace engineer, a lot of which involved design compromises (e.g. Skylab, shuttle, space station, the list goes on and on).

It sounds like you had/have an interesting career. The other thing I forgot to post is that no design is complete as one can always find something to add, subtract, or do different. There just comes a time where a cutoff point has to be made to get something actually built.

/ Cab Forward #24  
I drive a Ford LCF(low cab forward) every day for work. I don't think that it is that uncomfortable for longer trips. And the maneuverability is great! I can turn that 19500 GVW truck around in a tighter space than my Ford F-250 long box!

WB

/ Cab Forward #25  
Depending on what you hit, you will get more than sheet aluminum and steering wheel. Rear end a flatbed with rebar or pipe on it, and you'll get a mouthful of just as lethal steel as that Cat engine. There is no such thing as the perfect design. COE's have their place, just as conventionals do.

And driving either one off a bridge into the river probably wouldn't make much difference either. :rolleyes:

/ Cab Forward #26  
Most American truckers say that cab-overs ride worse than what you call "conventional" or what in Europe is called a Torpedo.

This may apply for their local trucks, but European truckers that get on an American truck, all say its cumbersome, crude, not very refined. Air suspension on the axles and drivers seat is standard, cab air suspension is getting more and more popular on the long haul.

Also a cab over can do with a shorter frame, shorter wheelbase, which also means a lighter frame as the distance the frame spans between the axle, is shorter.

Volvo and Scania are introducing, and retracting their torpedo models on and off from the market every couple of years. It is an image builder to sell a torpedo, but most people find it too unpractical in everyday use.