Buying Advice Cab or no cab?

/ Cab or no cab? #12  
ANY tractor with a bucket and grapple would be easier than what you’re now using. :LOL:
Ask the dealer to let you demo something of your choice on your property to see how it will fit for you.

/ Cab or no cab? #13  
I’m one of the few people that tried a cab and hated it…
Ended up with a deluxe model open station.
That said, I’m in Tennessee,
and while we have a couple months in the summer, that are hot,
most of the year I’m comfortable with the weather on the tractor..
I wanted the cab model, for protection against dust, dirt, diesel exhaust and pollen,
but with our trees and property, and foodplot uses, a cab didn’t fit well.
And I just didn’t like being in it, felt like I was driving the popemobile around LoL
But I’m in my 40s. I may feel differently in 20 years

/ Cab or no cab? #14  
Whether a larger or smaller tractor, get a climate controlled cab. The 25hp machines will generally be limited to 4-5' implements, maybe 6' for lighter duty work like finish mowing or light grading.

I upgraded to a 40hp cab tractor at 55 and have zero regrets.

/ Cab or no cab? #15  
Your age qualifies you for a cab, you deserve one, buy it.

You are also dis-qualified for pole saw operation, don't buy one. Let a younger man and your checkbook do that work. It's cheaper than a heart attack.

/ Cab or no cab?
Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. But this does bring up a question.

Some are suggesting that I should get a tractor with more horsepower because of my stating I live on 50 acres. I guess I provided some misguidance with that number, perhaps leading to the presumption that I intend to actually WORK 50 acres with a tractor. Sorry about that, but that just is not so. My wife and I have lived here for 30 years, and honestly there are many areas that we have never even set foot on. Stream on the north end with low areas that become quite water logged when enough rain falls. And there are some areas where the trees are thick enough that there is no possibility of getting a tractor in there without major slash and burn.

Oh yeah, the question. What exactly is the relationship between horsepower of a tractor and the size of the land it will be working on?

The reason I felt 25 hp would be enough is because I don't think I would need more than that. Unless, of course, my original question about the hp sapping of the AC is concern enough that I would NEED more horsepower to be able to work the tractor and be comfortable at the same time. I understand that manufacturers will make anything they think they can sell, and salespeople will sell you whatever you tell them you want, regardless of whether it will actually DO what you want. So I am treating this with the due diligence I think is necessary. Which is why I am here.

At most I may be cutting some winding walking trails through the woods, avoiding areas where it would likely be best not to try to take the tractor through. Keeping my expectations modest so I don't wind up with a tractor upside down in the grape vines in some inaccessible area where no help would be forthcoming. And even this would be all optional. I could possibly wind up sitting in my air conditioned cab on the tractor, looking over the situation, and just say "Nope!" and back on out of there. I inherited a pretty active "caution" gene from my grandfather on my mother's part of the tree.

More likely most of the work using the tractor would be to keep areas I have already opened manually (I have been using a battery powered hedge trimmer on a pole [EGO brand] along with chain saw for the thicker stuff) that I would like to keep that way. Maybe pushing the boundary back a bit, when necessary. There are piles of brush that used to be at the boundary that I could likely push back a bit, since the boundary has bypassed them lately, and a tractor would be of great use for doing that, I think. Yeah, a grapple is definitely on the list of attachments I want to get.

Honestly, I don't want a tractor more powerful than my reasonable expectations of what I SHOULD do with it. And I want to keep the SIZE of the tractor small enough to keep it maneuverable between the trees. I think the larger the tractor, beyond a sweet spot, the less useful it would be for me. It would be of no use at all if I couldn't get it to where I want it to go.

Last night I was looking at some Kioti models that looked like they might be in that sweet spot. In particular the Kioti CK2610 SE Cab particularly caught my eye. But the nearest dealer for that brand is in Marianna, around an hour and a half drive away. One hopes they never have to call on a warranty for repair work, but you never know. Don't tempt Murphy's Law.

My friend with the tractor I mentioned earlier bought a Kioti tractor that he just loves. Maybe I need to give him a call and see if he feels like taking a ride out to Marianna with me sometime this week. :)

/ Cab or no cab? #17  
Having a good dealer 30 minutes away is much better than 1.5 hours away. 1.5 hours is pushing it. What dealers are close to you?

/ Cab or no cab?
Having a good dealer 30 minutes away is much better than 1.5 hours away. 1.5 hours is pushing it. What dealers are close to you?
For Kioti? None closer than Marianna, FL. In a 30 minute radius, I know of the following dealers: TYM, Kubota, and a JD dealer might possibly be within that radius. They are up in NE Tallahassee.

The TYM dealer is basically a trailer dealer selling tractors as a sideline. TYM has a cab option for their T25 model, but it is heat only, no AC. Yeah, that would be a no-go for me.

Not crazy about the Kubota dealership's website always flags errors when I try to get to it, so it is basically inaccessible online. Reflects poorly, in my opinion. And not crazy about the pedal arrangement in this line. Was looking at their BX series, but when I saw that they have the engines reversed, which would require removing the driveshaft from the crank in order to replace the fan belt, kind of turned me off.

As for JD, well kind of stupid, I know, but that color combo of bright green with bright yellow wheels and seat just makes my eyes hurt.

Oh yeah, Summit is selling their one and only model from the local Home Depots. But they have some issues that threw red flags on the field for me.

So, notable limits in choices here. This whole idea could wind up being dead in the water, I suppose.

/ Cab or no cab? #20  
For use in Florida I'd go with an airconditioned cab, plus an auxiliary A/C.

Then double pane glass, not only to help the A/C work better, but also to have a bit of defense against gators and pythons.