Cabin Winterizing, Longterm - Antifreeze Help

/ Cabin Winterizing, Longterm - Antifreeze Help #1  

rs191

Tractor
BX2200, bought June 2000
My wife's cousin has a camp in northern NY which they haven't been able to visit since it was winterized and shut down in late 2019. They live up in Quebec. They are up into their 70s. He has a very serious heart condition. The camp is in Dannemora, NY, not far from Chazy Lake, at 1600 ft elevation.

In late 2020, we volunteered to drive two hours north to check out their camp before it went through a second winter. Everything looked good inside and outside. They have owned the place for many years, so it was closed up properly in late 2019. On that first visit, we added fresh RV antifreeze to the two sinks and the two toilets.

Late November 2021, we drove up to their property again, before the third closed-down winter. Other than a large pine that was leaning, hung up on other trees (far from the house), everything looked pretty good again.

We again poured RV antifreeze into the sink drains and toilets. The level in one bowl had dropped a little, the other was okay. It was in the 20s (F) on that visit and there might have been skim ice in one toilet. So I poured more RV antifreeze in that bowl, but not enough to force a "flush".

Question - I just added a few quarts to the toilet bowls on each visit. Now (much later and much colder) I wonder if I should have quickly poured gallons of RV antifreeze into each bowl to force a "flush" and then slowly added more to refill the bowl with fresh stuff.

Wondering if the active ingredient of the antifreeze could have evaporated over time, so a flush-and-refill is needed. I have no experience with winterizing and the cousin never dealt with multi-year closures.

Thanks for any advice! We're getting into sub-zero temps this week, but if the toilets aren't blocks of ice already, I can snowshoe in and put more antifreeze. The camp is only about 100 yards off the country road. Looks like 6"-10" of snow on the ground, according to NOHRSC Interactive Snow Information

/ Cabin Winterizing, Longterm - Antifreeze Help #2  
If it eases your mind you could always flush and refill.

But I wouldn't personally bother. That skim of "ice" was probably not ice at all, but rather scum growing on the antifreeze.

I've also never noticed the antifreeze itself evaporating, but it does feel like the water it's in does evaporate over time. I think having added a bit to each bowl and trap that it'll be fine.

/ Cabin Winterizing, Longterm - Antifreeze Help #3  
:rolleyes:

/ Cabin Winterizing, Longterm - Antifreeze Help #4  
Don't sweat this, you'll be fine. Here's what I found - "In the common RV antifreeze of around 25-30% premixed it will start to form ice crystals around 15 degrees and solidify at -15. It just doesn't expand and burst until the rated -50."

This stuff does Not evaporate, the 2019 winterization will make it through the 2022 winter.

/ Cabin Winterizing, Longterm - Antifreeze Help
travisbb and JJT,
Thanks for your help (especially because they're positive and I won't have to do the 4-hour round trip this week.)

Should have worried about it a long time ago, but I had just looked at this week's forecast up there, and it had me concerned.

Right now - +7, wind chill -8 up near their camp.
Tuesday, low of -11 in the AM, high of +1
Wednesday, low of -5, then a heatwave up to 29
Thursday, +22 to a high of +27
Friday, +2 going up to +5
Saturday, -18, going up to -4
Sunday, -10, going up to +12.

/ Cabin Winterizing, Longterm - Antifreeze Help #6  
Yes, as @JJT mentions, the antifreeze doesn't evaporate though it may get slightly more concentrated, which is nothing to be concerned about.

I would guess that a little antifreeze gets burped over the "S" bend in wind gusts, accounting for most of the decrease in antifreeze level.

All the best,

Peter

/ Cabin Winterizing, Longterm - Antifreeze Help #7  
RV antifreeze really isn’t designed for dilution like vehicle antifreeze is. I like to vacuum out toilets and traps before adding antifreeze but if it’s not frozen on the last 3 years I’m sure it’s fine.

/ Cabin Winterizing, Longterm - Antifreeze Help #8  
When there is an evaporation problem, a little vegetable oil on top of the water will help. Don't forget sink traps, shower drains and washing machine drains.