CAD software

/ CAD software #1  

buckeyefarmer

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4 BX23
What are people using for CAD software these days?
I have autocad LT 2011, and autodesk turned off my license because they no longer support it. I don’t want support, but they have disabled me from using the sw I bought.
Now autodesk is only subscription based in the tune of $500 year, so won’t be using them .

I also have an old DOS version of microstation, a 3D CAD package from the 80s. But I haven’t had it operational on a computer in 20 years. I used to teach college CAD course using it back then.

Have had a number of the other cheap CAD programs.

So now I see corelcad 2020, turbocad, and turbocad LTE that mimics autocad. Anyone use these? Looking at 2D floor plans, no 3D printing.

Looking for something in under $500 with no annual subscription.

Last edited:
   / CAD software #2  
Intellicad is one I have heard of. Carlson is another but it is civil engineering type software.

/ CAD software #3  
What are people using for CAD software these days?
I have autocad LT 2011, and autodesk turned off my license because they no longer support it. I don’t want support, but they have disabled me from using the sw I bought.
Now autodesk is only subscription based in the tune of $500 year, so won’t be using them .

I also have an old DOS version of microstation, a 3D CAD package from the 80s. But I haven’t had it operational on a computer in 20 years. I used to teach college CAD course using it back then.

Have had a number of the other cheap CAD programs.

So now I see corelcad 2020, turbocad, and turbocad LTE that mimics autocad. Anyone use these? Looking at 2D floor plans, no 3D printing.

Looking for something in under $500 with no annual subscription.

I had the same thing happen to me.
I'm a retired civil engineer and had a copy of autocad my employer gave me when I retired.
Autocad no longer supports that and wants to sell you a yearly subscription - no way in H*ll am I doing that.
I went with Turbocad. Similar to Autocad but takes some time to learn it.
FIRC it was less than $200 (out right purchase of program - no annual fee) and the Turbocad people were very helpful getting me started.
Satisfied with Turbocad.
I just do 2D

/ CAD software #4  
This is exactly why I don't get into that type of program. Once I buy something, I expect it to work until I don't want it. I can't tolerate remote management like that. I still use Quicken 2003 which does everything I need. I have a couple of elcheapo Home Design type 'cad' programs, but I'm pretty sure you'd laugh at them with your experience.

I'd love to find one more capable, but I won't be paying over $50 for it, if that.

/ CAD software #5  
I assume you must be having issues opening drawings of a newer version of Autocad? The software should still function fine provided you don't have issues with a newer os. Not so for Inventor, but even the newest version (2021) allows saving as dwg or dxf file to way before your version.
BTW - I've used some version of Autocad daily since it was installed from floppy disks and a zoom in or out equaled a 10-15 minute break for regen. And yes, I despise the subscription model too!

/ CAD software #6  
I assume you must be having issues opening drawings of a newer version of Autocad? The software should still function fine provided you don't have issues with a newer os. Not so for Inventor, but even the newest version (2021) allows saving as dwg or dxf file to way before your version.
BTW - I've used some version of Autocad daily since it was installed from floppy disks and a zoom in or out equaled a 10-15 minute break for regen. And yes, I despise the subscription model too!
If he has to move computers, older versions can no longer be activated so (for example) the copies of 2010 that we have at work can no longer be used once the computers need a reinstall.
I have a copy of Nanocad that works well and is free.
We might be switching to Visio after this, everything we do is basic 2D CAD (building footprints, wiring/piping diagrams, etc).

Aaron Z

/ CAD software #7  
I use Qcad for the cnc plasma, not great but is a free 2D cad.

/ CAD software
I had the same thing happen to me.
I'm a retired civil engineer and had a copy of autocad my employer gave me when I retired.
Autocad no longer supports that and wants to sell you a yearly subscription - no way in H*ll am I doing that.
I went with Turbocad. Similar to Autocad but takes some time to learn it.
FIRC it was less than $200 (out right purchase of program - no annual fee) and the Turbocad people were very helpful getting me started.
Satisfied with Turbocad.
I just do 2D

Thanks, I’m leaning towards turbocad LTE. For $300. It’s more like autocad.

/ CAD software #9  
If he has to move computers, older versions can no longer be activated so (for example) the copies of 2010 that we have at work can no longer be used once the computers need a reinstall.
I have a copy of Nanocad that works well and is free.
We might be switching to Visio after this, everything we do is basic 2D CAD (building footprints, wiring/piping diagrams, etc).

Aaron Z
Aaron, I believe you are right about that now that I think about it. We had to call in and get an activation # to keep it running once the 30 day trial (quick route) ran out. We did have one guy find a cheat file somewhere on the web to run a version at home. It would create a functional number to enter - I figured Autocad still knew it was running illegally if there is an Ethernet cable and net access hooked to it.

/ CAD software
This is exactly why I don't get into that type of program. Once I buy something, I expect it to work until I don't want it. I can't tolerate remote management like that. I still use Quicken 2003 which does everything I need. I have a couple of elcheapo Home Design type 'cad' programs, but I'm pretty sure you'd laugh at them with your experience.

I'd love to find one more capable, but I won't be paying over $50 for it, if that.

Corelcad has an education version for $50. I can’t find what it lacks (if anything) from the $700 version.
My microstation is a full version, cost me $300 in the 80s as a teacher, it normally ran $3-4000.
Turbocad deluxe 2020 is $200
Turbocad LTE v9 is $300 which works like autocad.
Turbocad designer 2020 $60