Calculating energy usage for appliances

/ Calculating energy usage for appliances #21  
I meant watt-hours. Pretty sure you know that

No, I didn’t. Hope you weren’t offended. There had been a few comments before (posts #13 &14) wondering if Watts/hr was proper terminology. My long winded explanations was more for them or anybody who cares… so…basically for myself I guess.

/ Calculating energy usage for appliances #22  
Our electric company sends a report each month saying how much of the bill relates to the a/c, refrigerator, other appliances, lights and other stuff.

I have no idea how they calculate the numbers.

They just started doing this a few months ago.

MoKelly

/ Calculating energy usage for appliances #23  
Our electric company sends a report each month saying how much of the bill relates to the a/c, refrigerator, other appliances, lights and other stuff.

I have no idea how they calculate the numbers.

They just started doing this a few months ago.

MoKelly

Interesting. Supposedly there are smart meters that can tell which appliances are running based on algorithms. I could imagine that it could detect a motor start versus a hot water heater, oven range or lightning circuit; and depending on running current, time of day, duration and how often it cycles, it could take an educated guess on what turned on. (Google: can smart meters detect appliances)

How accurate? And have utilities actually installed this technology?

I image the next step is billing where the electricity rate varies throughout the day based on market demand. This will lead to appliances smart enough to only run when the market is at a price point you set through an app on your phone. This will flatten electrical demand peak surges and overcapacity in during low demand times. “Letting the market decide.”, capitalism and technology will enable the grid to be more dependent on renewable energy sources.
This also avoids me subsidizing my neighbor who runs the biggest electrical loads during peak hours and gets charged same rate as a more conscientious consumer, not to mention causing brownouts.

/ Calculating energy usage for appliances #24  
Interesting. Supposedly there are smart meters that can tell which appliances are running based on algorithms. I could imagine that it could detect a motor start versus a hot water heater, oven range or lightning circuit; and depending on running current, time of day, duration and how often it cycles, it could take an educated guess on what turned on. (Google: can smart meters detect appliances)

How accurate? And have utilities actually installed this technology?

I image the next step is billing where the electricity rate varies throughout the day based on market demand. This will lead to appliances smart enough to only run when the market is at a price point you set through an app on your phone. This will flatten electrical demand peak surges and overcapacity in during low demand times. “Letting the market decide.”, capitalism and technology will enable the grid to be more dependent on renewable energy sources.
This also avoids me subsidizing my neighbor who runs the biggest electrical loads during peak hours and gets charged same rate as a more conscientious consumer, not to mention causing brownouts.

Good point on the meter. I’ll have to check to see if they replaced the meter in the past couple months.

My wife would know.

MoKelly

/ Calculating energy usage for appliances
No, I didn’t. Hope you weren’t offended. There had been a few comments before (posts #13 &14) wondering if Watts/hr was proper terminology. My long winded explanations was more for them or anybody who cares… so…basically for myself I guess.
I've been watching Leno's "Jaywalking" on Youtube lately. It makes me want to learn as much as I can...