California Targets Private Property With Latest Water Well Fees, Charges: Report

/ California Targets Private Property With Latest Water Well Fees, Charges: Report #311  

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
And it happened relatively quick too.
Yep. However, talking to older family members over the years, they saw a lot of changes that weren't for the better as well over their lives. When I was a kid in the 60's they had what was called "Urban Renewal". Basically, they took poor neighborhoods with eminent domain and tore everything down and sold it to private companies. And they had redlining, directing minorities and low income people to specific parts of town VS the nicer areas. And I recall quite a bit of racism in our neighborhood. And race riots at the local high schools.

Now we have a lot of homeless issues, but we had homeless people back then, too. We called them bums. Mom called them hobos. Either way, they were loner guys with some mental issues. And as I've mentioned before, the population has doubled, and so the problems have as well.

Remember driving though Gary and the south side of Chicago as a kid. Major problems then, just as today.

/ California Targets Private Property With Latest Water Well Fees, Charges: Report #312  

ultrarunner

Super Star Member
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
Maybe Oakland being diverse it was not as pronounced?

Dad's grade school years were 1930's and his classmates were African American, Asian, Native American.

Those that had a problem with race probably did not live here?

Growing up there were 2 white families on the block so you could say I have been a minority all my life

Always have had the best of neighbors... teachers, letter carriers, supervisors, accountants, a lawyer, etc... many professionals and all educated...

The local church was actually kind of amazing looking back as an adult... 2 California Supreme court judges, Oakland and San Francisco Police Chiefs, Head of the Community College District, Lots of Doctors, etc... all in a small East Oakland Catholic Church...

One thing we did not have is Homeless Camps or syringes laying in the playground... crime was responded to quickly and neighborhoods encouraged to report suspicious activity...

Last edited:
   / California Targets Private Property With Latest Water Well Fees, Charges: Report #313  

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
Maybe Oakland being diverse it was not as pronounced?

Dad's grade school years were 1930's and his classmates were African American, Asian, Native American.

Those that had a problem with races mixing moved.

Growing up there were 2 white families on the block so you could say I have been a minority all my life

Always have had the best of neighbors... teachers, letter carriers, warehouse supervisors, accountants and a lawyer...
Nice! Our school had two African American kids in the 8 years I was there. All white neighborhoods, too. However, my parents had a very diverse group of friends and business acquaintances, and my mom put me in city-sponsored summer programs that were highly integrated. Plus my older siblings all had a diverse group of friends through their summer jobs as lifeguards at city pools and beaches, where I eventually got my first jobs. Plus, my parents were mentors to high school and college students from all over the world. So overall, I had a pretty good interaction with a lot of people from very different backgrounds than my own as a child.

/ California Targets Private Property With Latest Water Well Fees, Charges: Report #314  

ruffdog

Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat 5610G, Deere X744, Cub Cadet IH 982
Some people don't have any water except the little bit they can collect from a roof gutter. The local Coke plant gets all they want though.