Can a propane tank be repurposed?

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #101  
I have used old gas bottles cut in half for lots of variuos needs so long as you de louse them properly first I have used several 100lb bottles with the ends cut off and welded together to form culvert pipes covered with concrete or coarse gravel, there are hundreds of uses for old gas bottles. If you need a pressure vessel then go buy a brand new cylinder that has never been filled, if its for liquids you need to either turn it upside down or fit a pick up tube long enough to reach just off the botton to the valve, drill a hole the right size and fit a tubeless tyre valve to the top of the cylinder they are ok to use up to 120psi bear in mind this is for a brand new gas cylinder that has never had gas in it, you can even weld on pipe sockets safely if needed, best way to do this is to weld on the socket first then drill the hole through the socket.
Don't use a used cylinder as they may have been stressed.
I have even used OLD oxy cylinders G size with the bottoms cut out of one and the top cut of the other welded together for heavy duty gate posts, Cheaper than heavy gauge pipe half the diameter also used them for bollards set in concrete either side of roller doors , usualy obtained from the local tips for free.

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #102  
I bought a 2 G. sprayer from Ortho with a battery operated pump that looks identical to the Scotts sprayer. I bet it will work great for you.

I bungee corded mine to a home made 2 wheel cart. I really like it, AND

it is much easier to move around the yard.

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #103  
I would expect that it is very similar as they are both filled with liquid propane and then we draw the vapors off with the valve at the top.
A few years ago it was common to refill the small tanks from a 20#, you had to invert the 20# to get liquid to transfer to the little tank.
Otherwise it had very little volume.
The pressure in a 1 lb. Propane tank is the same as a 20 lb. , or a 200 lb. Tank. The pressure of propane vapor is a function of the temperature only.
I would recommend against using any tank under pressure without a safety relief valve.

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #104  
Appreciate the idea......would be fine but this is not for spraying hundreds of feet of fence lines or tree lines etc.....way too much close in spraying that must be done on foot.
Havent read all the responses to this yet, so I apologize if this has already been brought up.

Just my two cents. Are you sure you want to carry around a propane tank? You said in the OP that a 5 gal backpack sprayer was too heavy. A propane tank (5 gal size) will be quite heavy and somewhat awkward to carry along with your 3-5 gal tank of killer.

My advise, go down to tractor supply, get a 15 gal spot tank with pump for $100, put on your sxs, 4wheeler etc and spray that way - you can get longer hose.

As for your propane tank, either leave it on the BBQ Grill or do like a bunch of folks do here - take off the valve, hang it on a tree limb, paint a bullseye 🎯 on it and use it for target practice. As long as the valve is removed, it won't be able to do any pyrotechnics for you. Most rounds under 30/30 won't go through the older tanks.

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #105  
I will admit to my total ignorance when it comes to pressurized storage containers and could use some help. I have had no luck trying to find answers to most of my questions on the net.

Here is an idea I have had for years and wondering if it can be safely pulled off. The goal would be to have a pressurized utility sprayer that I can carry around with me for spraying roundup etc. I am tired of pumping my 2-3 gallon sprayer every several minutes. I have a 5-gallon backpack model but once full I have a hard time getting it on/off by myself and it hurts my lower back as I walk around my 6 acres. I like the idea of a smaller, pressurized, hand held 2-3 gallon sprayer. I know they make battery powered units but I like to experiment & was wondering if an empty propane tank be repurposed (refilled with air) to provide the 10 PSI that I need? I do not think the high pressure paint-ball tanks is what I want as they are thousands of PSI and expensive.

I have long wanted to take an empty (small torch sized) 1-pound propane tank and refill it with air via my shop air compressor and try out my idea. I would attach a regulator to knock down the high pressure air down to ~10 PSI.

My 1st & most important question is what PSI can these small 1-pound propane tanks hold safely? The last thing I would want is to set my shop compressor too high & have a catastrophic failure due to too much pressure while refilling it. The next question would be where can I get a low-pressure regulator with a gauge so I can dial in the PSI into my 2-3 gallon sprayer.
IMO just the weight of an empty steel tank would negate the trouble of pumping up a regular sprayer

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #106  
Propane has an interesting temperature vs. pressure relationship. The pressure is not a function of tank size. At 110 deg F it's vapor pressure is 200psi.
Seems like a simpler solution would be to install a Schrader valve on your spray tank get something portable like this to carry along...

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #107  
Purchased a 3 gallon 18 volt battery powered sprayer and have used it for 3 years and very [pleased with it Covers a decent range for spray pattern and this will accept Black & Decker replacement or back up batteries. Would purchase again. Has shoulder strap, but I normally just pack it around by the handle as I spray. Used on a acre plus with hills and a ditch thru the center. Rest of yard & ground is either mowed and baled. CDZ
The local branch of the Maine Forest Service has attached Dewalt power sprayers to their backpack Indian tanks for fighting fires. They say that the water atomizes better, so they can cover more ground with a tank. I believe that it's something they saw while helping fight fires out west.

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #108  
I will admit to my total ignorance when it comes to pressurized storage containers and could use some help. I have had no luck trying to find answers to most of my questions on the net.

Here is an idea I have had for years and wondering if it can be safely pulled off. The goal would be to have a pressurized utility sprayer that I can carry around with me for spraying roundup etc. I am tired of pumping my 2-3 gallon sprayer every several minutes. I have a 5-gallon backpack model but once full I have a hard time getting it on/off by myself and it hurts my lower back as I walk around my 6 acres. I like the idea of a smaller, pressurized, hand held 2-3 gallon sprayer. I know they make battery powered units but I like to experiment & was wondering if an empty propane tank be repurposed (refilled with air) to provide the 10 PSI that I need? I do not think the high pressure paint-ball tanks is what I want as they are thousands of PSI and expensive.

I have long wanted to take an empty (small torch sized) 1-pound propane tank and refill it with air via my shop air compressor and try out my idea. I would attach a regulator to knock down the high pressure air down to ~10 PSI.

My 1st & most important question is what PSI can these small 1-pound propane tanks hold safely? The last thing I would want is to set my shop compressor too high & have a catastrophic failure due to too much pressure while refilling it. The next question would be where can I get a low-pressure regulator with a gauge so I can dial in the PSI into my 2-3 gallon sprayer.
Just make sure you get all the propane out or you have created a bomb to wear around.

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed?
Propane has an interesting temperature vs. pressure relationship. The pressure is not a function of tank size. At 110 deg F it's vapor pressure is 200psi.
Seems like a simpler solution would be to install a Schrader valve on your spray tank get something portable like this to carry along...
This looks awesome........excellent idea. Even though I have a Scotts unit on the way I am going to get this just to play with (rem I like to experiment) I just need a regulator so it can stay on and not over charge the 2-3 gallon container to more than about 15 PSI. Thanks !

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #110  

Not sure how it would be done, but have seen other propane tanks used for different purposes.

Experiment and set one up at a "safe" distance with a long pressure hose and see if your shop compressor can cause it to burst. I doubt you can burst it, but would be worth knowing that for sure.