Can a propane tank be repurposed?

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #111  
Just mentioning again because it is lost in the above thread, forget the propane tank.

USE A PLASTIC POP BOTTLE for your pressure vessel, much lighter, easier to work with and virtually free : )

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #112  
I use this. It hooks up to my JD riding mower.

Or maybe this one.

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #113  
Most sprayers that I am familiar with do not have the contents in a pressurized tank. They have a pump to increase the pressure for spraying. That way the container can be plastic or some other light weight material and it can easily be carried in a backpack sprayer or just by hand.
Around here the only repurposing of propane tanks is to use the larger tanks to make bar-b-q pits. Doing that is also dangerous. I wouldn't mess with it. I bought a small portable air tank at the flea market for $10. They are not that expensive and much safer.

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #114  
Well, that's one reason. You don't understand the dangers involved.
And yet there are plans all over the net on how to build an air powered tennis ball launcher using PVC as the air storage system. That is why I asked.

Better to ask than be a wise-ass.

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #115  
This is like trying to turn the Titanic away from an iceberg : )

Forget the use of heavy, harder to work with, wrong size propane tank, or even heavy pvc pipe (pvc pipe will work but still heavy)

Use light, easy to work with, cheap, inherently safe plastic pop bottles !!

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #116  
Use old freon tank add a fill valve off center on the top, Fill and close valve add air pressure in the factory center valve. You can screw your sprayer hose in top fill valve after it is closed and open valve to spray, or you can tee off between the valve and the tank for the spray hose. Simple solution for spray power without a battery. You can find hundreds of these air tanks out there they work GREAT.

Last edited:
   / Can a propane tank be repurposed? #117  
Freon tank is illegal to re-fill. Typical 30 pound cylinder have been non-refillable for decades. Tank is heavy and bulky. 2 liter pop bottle is much better for the application.

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #119  
I will admit to my total ignorance when it comes to pressurized storage containers and could use some help. I have had no luck trying to find answers to most of my questions on the net.

Here is an idea I have had for years and wondering if it can be safely pulled off. The goal would be to have a pressurized utility sprayer that I can carry around with me for spraying roundup etc. I am tired of pumping my 2-3 gallon sprayer every several minutes. I have a 5-gallon backpack model but once full I have a hard time getting it on/off by myself and it hurts my lower back as I walk around my 6 acres. I like the idea of a smaller, pressurized, hand held 2-3 gallon sprayer. I know they make battery powered units but I like to experiment & was wondering if an empty propane tank be repurposed (refilled with air) to provide the 10 PSI that I need? I do not think the high pressure paint-ball tanks is what I want as they are thousands of PSI and expensive.

I have long wanted to take an empty (small torch sized) 1-pound propane tank and refill it with air via my shop air compressor and try out my idea. I would attach a regulator to knock down the high pressure air down to ~10 PSI.

My 1st & most important question is what PSI can these small 1-pound propane tanks hold safely? The last thing I would want is to set my shop compressor too high & have a catastrophic failure due to too much pressure while refilling it. The next question would be where can I get a low-pressure regulator with a gauge so I can dial in the PSI into my 2-3 gallon sprayer.
I will admit to my total ignorance when it comes to pressurized storage containers and could use some help. I have had no luck trying to find answers to most of my questions on the net.

Here is an idea I have had for years and wondering if it can be safely pulled off. The goal would be to have a pressurized utility sprayer that I can carry around with me for spraying roundup etc. I am tired of pumping my 2-3 gallon sprayer every several minutes. I have a 5-gallon backpack model but once full I have a hard time getting it on/off by myself and it hurts my lower back as I walk around my 6 acres. I like the idea of a smaller, pressurized, hand held 2-3 gallon sprayer. I know they make battery powered units but I like to experiment & was wondering if an empty propane tank be repurposed (refilled with air) to provide the 10 PSI that I need? I do not think the high pressure paint-ball tanks is what I want as they are thousands of PSI and expensive.

I have long wanted to take an empty (small torch sized) 1-pound propane tank and refill it with air via my shop air compressor and try out my idea. I would attach a regulator to knock down the high pressure air down to ~10 PSI.

My 1st & most important question is what PSI can these small 1-pound propane tanks hold safely? The last thing I would want is to set my shop compressor too high & have a catastrophic failure due to too much pressure while refilling it. The next question would be where can I get a low-pressure regulator with a gauge so I can dial in the PSI into my 2-3 gallon sprayer.

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #120  
not an answer to your question, but you don't have to fill your backpack sprayer all the way full - I usually stick to 10 litres lately. It also helps to have something to park it on as you put it on; an old chair, a garbage can, whatever is handy.
But with your pressurized setup you might even add some wheels for the smoother sections. Good luck!