Can a propane tank be repurposed?

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed?
Why reinvent the wheel. This is just one option and there are many sizes, brands and designs to choose from and if needed you can install a longer hose. If you don.t want to install it on an atv or tractor you can use lawn cart for it or even a kids wagon. If you did manage to find a way to make the 1lb propane tank work, you wouldn't get much spraying done before losing pressure and would be constantly changing out cylinders. You would be better off staying with a handheld pump up sprayer

Or you could try one of these and install some sort of spray nozzle on it. They are simple to refill and are pressureised with a simple air chuck you would use for a tire
Appreciate the input. After the 1st several replies it became VERY clear that a bottle of pressurized air was not what I needed. What I wanted was to be able to refill a 1-pound (empty) propane tank with air and be able to get as much gas vapor out of it as an original cylinder. The key is that in the original tank the propane is filled at a very high pressure to the point where it is not a gas anymore but a liquid. As the valve is cracked open and a small amount released it quickly warms and expands greatly in volume (remember "PIV-NERT" LOL). Anyway this is why you can run a propane tank for hours & hours before they are empty. Since I have no means to pressurize a tank with liquid air I have moved on. I just bought myself an inexpensive 5VDC pump and 5VDC Lithium battery pack and mounted it to my 2 gallon sprayer. It works like a dream, all for about $25. I can fill the tank 3-4 times off one charge and the pressure is just fine. I made a wide strap that slings over my head on my right shoulder opposite the tank that hangs off my left side. This way both hands are free and thus far my back can handle it. TU everyone for a wonderful discussion.....I have put this dilema to rest.

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #142  
Appreciate the input. After the 1st several replies it became VERY clear that a bottle of pressurized air was not what I needed. What I wanted was to be able to refill a 1-pound (empty) propane tank with air and be able to get as much gas vapor out of it as an original cylinder. The key is that in the original tank the propane is filled at a very high pressure to the point where it is not a gas anymore but a liquid. As the valve is cracked open and a small amount released it quickly warms and expands greatly in volume (remember "PIV-NERT" LOL). Anyway this is why you can run a propane tank for hours & hours before they are empty. Since I have no means to pressurize a tank with liquid air I have moved on. I just bought myself an inexpensive 5VDC pump and 5VDC Lithium battery pack and mounted it to my 2 gallon sprayer. It works like a dream, all for about $25. I can fill the tank 3-4 times off one charge and the pressure is just fine. I made a wide strap that slings over my head on my right shoulder opposite the tank that hangs off my left side. This way both hands are free and thus far my back can handle it. TU everyone for a wonderful discussion.....I have put this dilema to rest.
PV=NRT

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #143  
Just get your self a hand truck, car battery,
air pump that fits in your trunk, a tank to hold
all the solution you want to spray. attach a hose
connection to spray tank and add a wand
One trip and your done!!!:sneaky:

willy

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #144  
I will admit to my total ignorance when it comes to pressurized storage containers and could use some help. I have had no luck trying to find answers to most of my questions on the net.

Here is an idea I have had for years and wondering if it can be safely pulled off. The goal would be to have a pressurized utility sprayer that I can carry around with me for spraying roundup etc. I am tired of pumping my 2-3 gallon sprayer every several minutes. I have a 5-gallon backpack model but once full I have a hard time getting it on/off by myself and it hurts my lower back as I walk around my 6 acres. I like the idea of a smaller, pressurized, hand held 2-3 gallon sprayer. I know they make battery powered units but I like to experiment & was wondering if an empty propane tank be repurposed (refilled with air) to provide the 10 PSI that I need? I do not think the high pressure paint-ball tanks is what I want as they are thousands of PSI and expensive.

I have long wanted to take an empty (small torch sized) 1-pound propane tank and refill it with air via my shop air compressor and try out my idea. I would attach a regulator to knock down the high pressure air down to ~10 PSI.

My 1st & most important question is what PSI can these small 1-pound propane tanks hold safely? The last thing I would want is to set my shop compressor too high & have a catastrophic failure due to too much pressure while refilling it. The next question would be where can I get a low-pressure regulator with a gauge so I can dial in the PSI into my 2-3 gallon sprayer.
Grill smoker

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #145  
Here is an idea I have had for years and wondering if it can be safely pulled off. The goal would be to have a pressurized utility sprayer that I can carry around with me for spraying roundup etc.

The two dark color tanks in this photo are propane tanks, complete with all the stampings they need for use with propane. I am not sure how many hundreds of them I made but I built them for a decade or so.

A41A15EB-84C5-4C38-8A98-F2627C6CF4F1.jpeg

They came to me brand-new and unpainted. I added the filler, handle and axle on as well as tap the hole on top out from NPT to straight for the flow control valve/mixer/dip tube.

So, yes. Your idea works.

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #146  
The goal would be to have a pressurized utility sprayer that I can carry around with me for spraying roundup etc. I am tired of pumping my 2-3 gallon sprayer every several minutes. I have a 5-gallon backpack model but once full I have a hard time getting it on/off by myself and it hurts my lower back as I walk around my 6 acres. I
Yes you can convert a propane tank. No it isn't super easy. I empty them yank the valve and back fill with water before doing anything.
BUT
You want a pressure sprayer for an aqueous solution.
The propane tank will be a lousy choice. It'll rust. That'll clog your nozzle. It'll clog it continually.

To save your back why not make and extended spray nozzle so you can reach from the seat of your tractor or mower? Then put a larger poly tank pressure sprayer on your vehicle and go for a ride.
Or you can get a bettery powered five gallon one on wheels.

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #147  
I find it awkward to carry a 25# barbecue type propane tank. It's too wide and the center of gravity too far from your body. I use one with my burn torch and always wind up with a backache.

There's a reason why hand held garden sprayers are long & narrow.

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #149  
I have a big wheel hand truck from Harbor Freight. I strap the tank to that and wheel it around the yard when using the torch. Works pretty well. The big wheel roll over the lawn very nicely.

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #150  
sounds like something I need. How big is the wheel? I'm thinking 20" ish.