Can I improve on my splitting ax?

/ Can I improve on my splitting ax? #1  

Rebeldad1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti Tractor, John Deere Mower,New Holland Mini Excavator
I have been using a single bit 3 1/2lb 30" handle for years. It does a good job and I split mostly maple.

I have seen the single bit that are a "hybrid" splitting maul shape. Looks like the sides come out more like a wedge.
Are these actually better with the same weight? As I am a couple days closer to 71 years old I would like to stay close to the same weight range.

/ Can I improve on my splitting ax? #3  
+1 for the Fiskars....actually, Fiskars anything..............Mike

/ Can I improve on my splitting ax? #4  
You should consider investing in a splitter. Once I reached my late 50's, splitting with mauls/wedges/axes was taking a toll on me.

If you keep burning wood, it is only a matter of time until a powered splitter becomes necessary anyway.

/ Can I improve on my splitting ax? #5  
You should consider investing in a splitter. Once I reached my late 50's, splitting with mauls/wedges/axes was taking a toll on me.

If you keep burning wood, it is only a matter of time until a powered splitter becomes necessary anyway.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I never could split wood worth beans with either an ax or maul, it was sledge and wedges for me. About 8 years ago I picked up a secondhand splitter and never looked back. Hydraulics are your friend.

/ Can I improve on my splitting ax? #6  

God yes!..

/ Can I improve on my splitting ax? #7  
I have the Fiskars X27 (36" overall length) that Bruce has linked to. Light weight and does a great job. I can use it for hours and not get tired (at least from swinging the axe), and I am not a big or young guy. Most of what I split is Douglas Fir, up to 32" diameter. I rarely need to use a separate splitting wedge and sledgehammer.

I was initially concerned about the longevity of the handle, but after six years it doesn't look to have suffered any significant damage.

I occasionally think about getting a mechanical splitter, but I always throw out the idea. Maybe Doug Fir is easier to split that eastern hardwoods, but I find the actual splitting to be fairly easy work compared to the other aspects of turning a tree into firewood ready to go into the stove. And...well I find it quite satisfying to hit that round at just the right place and see it cleave in two.

I could see a splitter being useful on those really big rounds with knots that I end up using a splitting wedge and sledgehammer on, but I'd never be able to lift the round into place on the splitter anyway (>200 lb). There must be some other type of splitter that I've never seen for use on rounds too big to lift.

Chris

Last edited:
   / Can I improve on my splitting ax? #8  
I have a $300 electric splitter and will never go back to mauls and wedges. Works great for me.

/ Can I improve on my splitting ax? #9  
I might be odd man out here though at my age and down here I dont use them that much anymore , I use ,have and own Husqvarna (2) Sweden I think a Gr舅sfors Bruk and a Estwing 26" campers axe . Some freinds I know own Fiskars at least the box store ones I see here don't impress me , however I have never even swung a Fiskars . Just my :2cents: I'am no expert or lumberjack .

/ Can I improve on my splitting ax? #10  
Hiring a younger stronger back will make it a lot easier for you!