Can I plow a garden with only a tiller attachment on new, never plowed, rough ground?

/ Can I plow a garden with only a tiller attachment on new, never plowed, rough ground? #11  
You certainly can do it with a rototiller. How well it will work depends on the inputs. If the ground has a lot of roots or rocks that's going to be very hard on the tiller and make it a challenging job. Just a few and it won't be bad. An acre is a bunch though, so if you don't have at least a SCUT or larger tractor and matching tiller it could take a long time and be a big chore for a smaller tiller. Personally, I don't till where there are a lot of rocks or roots because I like to keep my tiller happy. I've done 3 acres before (several times) with my 2-series Deere and a 60" tiller, but it was previously a farm field so it wasn't going through old sod. A fair amount of rock though.

I'd suggest getting a middle buster or single bottom plow to open things up first and then till.

/ Can I plow a garden with only a tiller attachment on new, never plowed, rough ground? #12  
Our original garden was 80 by 150. A little over a quarter of an acre. I had a brand new TroyBilt rototiller - 8 hp Horse. The ground had never been broken.

I WOULD NOT want to do four times that much( one acre ) with that rototiller. I had to go over the ground three times to get it into a shape to plant.

For one acre I would recommend a tractor. Then a moldboard plow. Then a rototiller or disk harrow.

/ Can I plow a garden with only a tiller attachment on new, never plowed, rough ground? #13  
I did the same when I put in my garden, but it's nowhere close to an acre in size.

Same here - tilled a garden for my wife; worked fine. Did it with a Kubota B7500 and a 4 ft tiller

/ Can I plow a garden with only a tiller attachment on new, never plowed, rough ground? #14  
Your tractor brand and model should be part of your T-B-N PROFILE.

Your location would improve the applicability of your replies.

Can I use only a rototiller attachment for a 1 acre never before plowed ground that probably has some roots and lots of rocks, but nice dirt?

T-B-N ARCHIVE: why use a moldboard plow site:tractorbynet.com

Last edited:
   / Can I plow a garden with only a tiller attachment on new, never plowed, rough ground? #15  
I wonder if Learning knows how really big an acre is. That's one Hell of a big garden.

/ Can I plow a garden with only a tiller attachment on new, never plowed, rough ground? #16  
img_20200319_170241396-jpg.646204
Approximately a 1 acre garden..
That includes the fruit trees to left and grapes vines

Last edited:
   / Can I plow a garden with only a tiller attachment on new, never plowed, rough ground? #17  
I don't know about a cheapo tiller, but you'd be amazed how many times I've done it for myself and for customers, with my Howard Rotavator (tiller).

Here's one I reclaimed, and here's after the first pass,

Resized-20210422-172207-7051-S.jpg

I let it set several days, then made a second pass, here's what it looked like after the second pass,

Resized-20210429-121341-8247-S.jpg

Lots and lots of truck farmers here, have hired me to put old ground back into veggie plots, roots, rocks and all. Done "right" it works perfectly!

IF, You have a quality tiller and don't know how to use it properly, don't blame the tiller!

SR

/ Can I plow a garden with only a tiller attachment on new, never plowed, rough ground? #18  
^^ That's what I do to my gardens. Multiple passes but several days apart (with rainfall and dry spells). I always get amazing crops and deweeding is super easy.

/ Can I plow a garden with only a tiller attachment on new, never plowed, rough ground? #19  
Lordy - that's a large garden there - Sawyer Rob. I'll have nightmares of pulling weeds.

/ Can I plow a garden with only a tiller attachment on new, never plowed, rough ground? #20  
Lordy - that's a large garden there - Sawyer Rob. I'll have nightmares of pulling weeds.
Pretty much all the truck farmers here lay plastic in rows and plant through it, including the above guy, so little to no weeding. Some hire mexicans to hoe between the plastic, some just let it go...

I've had amish plant their rows far enough apart that they could hire me drive between them with my tiller.

SR