Can I use malfunctioning acetylene regulator for propane?

/ Can I use malfunctioning acetylene regulator for propane? #1  

Sebculb

Gold Member
Tractor
'97 Deere 310D Backhoe
Hey everyone again,

Sooo thanks for all the advice so far as I get into this gas welding thing.

Y'alls have convinced me I need a new acetylene regulator and it should probably be a high quality brand name one.

Can I use my current malfunctioning acetylene regulator on a propane tank if I wanted to make an oxy propane setup? It regulates the pressure fine while the torch is flowing. However, when you shut off the torch the pressure starts rising up past 15psi into the red zone, making it dangerous for use with acetylene. But is there any reason I couldn't use it for propane? As far as I know propane doesn't have any stability issues at pressure.

Acetylene is way expensive here so maybe I want a propane setup for cutting and brazing and save the acetylene for welding. What else do I need besides a different regulator? (I read propane can damage an acetylene regulator) Do I need other hoses? I know propane tips are different, are they simply recommended or absolutely necessary?

Thanks!

/ Can I use malfunctioning acetylene regulator for propane? #2  
You are correct in saying propane doesn't have stability issues but I'm not so sure you should use the malfunctioning regulator until it has been rebuilt. Hundreds of Acty regulators and grade R hoses are in use with propane and I haven't heard of any real life failures but I'm not going to reccomend you use anything other than grade T hose. The ONLY reason for not using acety regulator is because SOME don't go above 15psi.

/ Can I use malfunctioning acetylene regulator for propane? #3  
Do you smoke in bed at night? Do you drink and drive? Did you remove safety guards on your PTO and work close to it while it's operating and wearing loose clothing? Do you oil your oxygen tank valves?

Saving $100 using a broken acetylene regulator for propane might sound like a good idea to you then.

/ Can I use malfunctioning acetylene regulator for propane? #4  
Fix it or get a new one.

While propane is cheaper than Acetylene, you will use more oxygen too.

Different hoses as mentioned. The different tip IS required. Maybe others know tricks....but I have never had any luck with an acetylene tip getting hot enough to actually cut anything. Flame and everything looks good, just dont work. Tips are cheap.

/ Can I use malfunctioning acetylene regulator for propane? #5  
You don't necessarily need a high end regulator just buy the best you can comfortably afford and throw the junk one in the brass pail.

/ Can I use malfunctioning acetylene regulator for propane? #6  
Generally when it comes to possibly setting myself on fire or blowing myself out of the shop I try not so use thing's I know to be faulty.

/ Can I use malfunctioning acetylene regulator for propane?
Fix it or get a new one.

While propane is cheaper than Acetylene, you will use more oxygen too.

Different hoses as mentioned. The different tip IS required. Maybe others know tricks....but I have never had any luck with an acetylene tip getting hot enough to actually cut anything. Flame and everything looks good, just dont work. Tips are cheap.
Ive read about the using more oxygen factor but acetylene costs $250 to fill a 145 cfm cylinder here and propane costs ten. From what I hear my big oxygen tank will run three propane tanks. The oxygen costs a hunnert to refill, I dunno what size it is but it's bigger than the 145cf acetylene tank. There's a reason most people around here use oxy propane kits.

Okay, y'alls convinced me to get correct equipment. Since I need new regulators all around maybe what I'll do is buy a propane torch kit and then just get another acetylene regulator separately.

Thanks!

/ Can I use malfunctioning acetylene regulator for propane?
I'm going back to the states to visit my parents next week so I may as well stock up since toys cost half of what they do here in Costa Rica

/ Can I use malfunctioning acetylene regulator for propane? #9  
Propane as a fuel source is pretty much same issues as acetylene except it is more stable and does not provide quite the heat as acetylene and torch tips need to be a lit bigger for proper combustion though I have uses propane as a fuel with acetylene tips.. Hoses should be "T" rated as "R" rated hoses are for acetylene use only and will break down over time when used with propane.... As for malfunction regulator, either it get professionally rebuilt or remove it for use.... There is no place in my shop for malfunctioning fuel regulators....

Might get one of these to go with your new torch set if one is not included in set you purchase....

s-l400.jpg

Last edited:
   / Can I use malfunctioning acetylene regulator for propane? #10  
so apologize in advance. is this thread about trying to save a few $ to convert to another fuel on an already malfunctioning regulator? please help me understand reason for posting...please err to caution on the subject, best regards