Canada Geese

/ Canada Geese #61  
A nearby neighborhood built around a large pond had about 100 residents geese. One year the neighbors declared non-lethal war on them with bottle rockets, flare guns, RC boats and more to run them off. No luck. The next summer they got DNR to net them Wild Kingdom style while they were going through molting and couldn't fly. Their wings were clipped and then hauled a hundred miles to a wildlife refuge. The theory was they would forget where home was by the time the wings grew back. They never returned.

/ Canada Geese #63  
People who rent carts to 'get air' with, or to drink and drive. Career mower-riders. Contract hunters. People who can't fish.

/ Canada Geese #65  
A nearby neighborhood built around a large pond had about 100 residents geese. One year the neighbors declared non-lethal war on them with bottle rockets, flare guns, RC boats and more to run them off. No luck. The next summer they got DNR to net them Wild Kingdom style while they were going through molting and couldn't fly. Their wings were clipped and then hauled a hundred miles to a wildlife refuge. The theory was they would forget where home was by the time the wings grew back. They never returned.

When we first moved in our current house on a shared pond. I could open the back door and send our house dog out to herd the poo machines out of the yard. She would bark at them and they would fly to the middle of the pond and swim across the pond to poo in the neighbors yard. This worked well until one day I opened the back door the dog walked onto the porch saw the poo machines and turned around and came back in the house. She never chased or barked at another poo machine for rest of her life. We suspect one or more must have gotten ahold of her.

/ Canada Geese #66  
I rest my case. Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

I quit golfing (not enough time) so I am of the same opinion. They (golf courses) do not pay their fair share of property taxes out here any way. Boo golfers. :D

Last edited:
   / Canada Geese #67  
IMO life is too short to watch television OR play golf. (I'm 70 and dying. Doc says to make the best of the next 20-30 years.)

Geeze-Louise, do I have to make everybody happy? :laughing: 'Honkers' sure won't be on my list. ;)

/ Canada Geese #69  
30 years ago i read about a guy in S VA who raised boarder collies specifically to control geese. He either sold them or rented them to golf courses. Neat gig if you can pull it off?

The Catholic church used to own resorts and golf courses. Huge real estate ventures, wheeler dealers and, if memory serves, Yankee Stadium! Some folks equate Yankee stadium with a church but, not everyone. Maybe that was an urban myth.

If people have a problem with property taxes, maybe they should look in that direction first?

/ Canada Geese #70  
There was a time in some areas where any church property was tax exempt, like in Quebec.
That would explain owning golf courses and the like, even vacant land.

They changed that so only active houses of worship now qualify.
Lot of inactive churches being re purposed these days.

Our city named a vacant church a 'heritage building' as it could not find a buyer to repurpose it.
Very foolish IMHO as the rules/laws of maintaining 'heritage' are very demanding.
Like even windows have to be repaired in the old hand made fashion using proper 'era' materials.
Same goes for concrete/mortar brick work etc., and paint is a challenge, never mind copper roofs.

Sorry if I drifted a bit but I was lured by the previous post.