Canning Stuff.

/ Canning Stuff. #21  
My freezer is already crammed full, and two old retired people do not need an extra freezer. The thing I like about canned food is that once it's done it's good until you use it, no electricity required.
That's why I got into canning. Would hate to lose everything in the event of an extended power outage. We do have a 4000W generator, and power's generally reliable here but still...
Another reason is space. We've only got a relatively small chest freezer, and (1) stuff ends up on the bottom after a while and forgotten and (2) it's usually pretty full with stuff that doesn't can well. No space for a larger one and like you we're both retired and don't need one any bigger than what we have.
Pickled 96 quarts of dill pickles last year and still have over half of them left. They are still tasty and crunchy.
What's the trick to making them stay crisp? Mine tend to end up sort of soggy. Good, but not crisp like store pickles.

/ Canning Stuff. #22  
Canning getting to be lost art more so with today's youngsters...ask them what root cellar is. ;)

/ Canning Stuff. #23  
Have a look on the web, Crispy Dill Pickle Recipe - The 7 Secrets To Keeping Them Crunchy

But in general, growing pickling cucumbers to begin with, pick smaller, process asap, cutting the blossom end off, all can help. Adding calcium chloride ("pickle crisp") may help, especially if your water is soft. (@Oaktree?) We used to add wild grape leaves, but I don't know if it works.

All the best,

Peter

/ Canning Stuff. #24  
Envious of all the "putting up" you fellas are doing. No time for this hard working family man to do such endeavors, one of these days I hope! Nothing better than opening a can of your own hard work and enjoying a fine meal from it.

My peppers are doing very well. I like to can mixed peppers (usually jalapeños and banana) with a bunch of carrot spears and onions in a dill pickle type solution. Did 5 quarts the other day. One broke in the water bath though.:( Quite delicious!

/ Canning Stuff. #25  
That's why I got into canning. Would hate to lose everything in the event of an extended power outage. We do have a 4000W generator, and power's generally reliable here but still...
Another reason is space. We've only got a relatively small chest freezer, and (1) stuff ends up on the bottom after a while and forgotten and (2) it's usually pretty full with stuff that doesn't can well. No space for a larger one and like you we're both retired and don't need one any bigger than what we have.

What's the trick to making them stay crisp? Mine tend to end up sort of soggy. Good, but not crisp like store pickles.
I don't know what causes them to stay crisp but I know that grape leaves didn't help with the recipe we used when we lived in the City. Someone told me they are convinced it is my well water that is the secret ingredient. All I know is this recipe works for me and has for the last 5 years. I grow National Pickling Cukes. After picking I will normally put them in a cooler with water and ice for an overnight soak. The next day I cut the ends off and pack the jars with as many as I can squeeze in and process.

Recipe follows:
4 cups of water
2 cups white vinegar
2 TBSP pickling salt
5 cloves of garlic and
fresh dill to taste - I like lots

I water bath at 180* for 10 minutes then turn the heat off and leave the jars sit for another 5 minutes. Then onto a counter to rest until the next day.

/ Canning Stuff.
I did a few pints of sweet pickle spears today. The other photo is the 9 gallons of dills fermenting merrily away. I had one for lunch, and it's about half fermented. Not clear all the way through, but getting there.

Attachments

• IMG_3172.JPG
    IMG_3172.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3173.JPG
    IMG_3173.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 48
   / Canning Stuff. #27  
What happens when the grid gets overloaded and your freezers dont work?? 😂 LOL…….
That's why we also can stuff, and then give it away to friends the next season because we like the frozen stuff better.
Just finished beans, 8 gallon bags in the freezer, 16 pints canned. Now supplying friends with u-pick beans.

/ Canning Stuff. #28  
I don't know what causes them to stay crisp but I know that grape leaves didn't help with the recipe we used when we lived in the City. Someone told me they are convinced it is my well water that is the secret ingredient. All I know is this recipe works for me and has for the last 5 years. I grow National Pickling Cukes. After picking I will normally put them in a cooler with water and ice for an overnight soak. The next day I cut the ends off and pack the jars with as many as I can squeeze in and process.

Recipe follows:
4 cups of water
2 cups white vinegar
2 TBSP pickling salt
5 cloves of garlic and
fresh dill to taste - I like lots

I water bath at 180* for 10 minutes then turn the heat off and leave the jars sit for another 5 minutes. Then onto a counter to rest until the next day.
Trim the blossom end of the cucumber before pickling, it contains a plant hormone or enzyme (can't remember which) that makes the pickle soften.
For crisp sweet pickles try making lime pickles, Mrs. Wages picking lime has a pretty good recipe on the bag.
Grape or green oak leaves work well for lacto fermented dill pickles to keep them crisp.

/ Canning Stuff. #29  
We do get asked occasionally if we are preppers, my answer is: No I have been doing this all my life, my folks taught me, they grew up during the great depression when life could be really hard.
We were doing this sort of thing long before " prepping" was a thing. I think most of us here are similar in that respect!

/ Canning Stuff. #30  
Trim the blossom end of the cucumber before pickling, it contains a plant hormone or enzyme (can't remember which) that makes the pickle soften.
For crisp sweet pickles try making lime pickles, Mrs. Wages picking lime has a pretty good recipe on the bag.
Grape or green oak leaves work well for lacto fermented dill pickles to keep them crisp.
The blossom end has an enzyme that softens the cucumber.